Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Dec 2018, 20:34

Charlie O. wrote:The sound effect at the beginning of "Shotgun" by Jr. Walker & The All Stars is not in fact a gun at all, but guitarist Eddie Willis accidentally kicking his amplifier.

:cry:

What a rip.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2018, 06:37

Not sure if I learned anything new but watching a video about ancient megalithy types of things the presenter himself really didn't know a lot either, especially about how these stones were carved or moved and he was surely stumped as to how ancient Egyptians could know about the existence of helicopters or what looks to me like a tank and a submarine. Pretty wild shit.
Question authority.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 31 Dec 2018, 08:17

AmaZIngG!!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Dec 2018, 10:22

Jimbo wrote:Not sure if I learned anything new but watching a video about ancient megalithy types of things the presenter himself really didn't know a lot either, especially about how these stones were carved or moved and he was surely stumped as to how ancient Egyptians could know about the existence of helicopters or what looks to me like a tank and a submarine. Pretty wild shit.

Yep, catch-penny wid shit full of lies and dumbery documentaries like that shouldn't be allowed. They look like helicopters tanks and submarines to you, because you've seen them. To the Egyptians who carved them (Um, they used tools, which they had in abundance, to carve them, and basic engineering and nous and muscle power to move them, incidentally), they looked like stuff they had all around them: agricultural or cooking implements, figures from their imagination, ritual or symbolic objects, whatever.
For someone who automatically rejects the official version, you sure are gullible when it comes to flim flam merchants.
Happy New Year, Jimbo, and don't buy any bridges.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

`

Postby ` » 31 Dec 2018, 12:42

Only 5% of the world's population has ever flown on an aeroplane

`

Postby ` » 31 Dec 2018, 12:48

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:Image

The budge for The Swarm, a terrible action pic of 1978, was double that of Star Wars at $21 million.

“Who’d of fought it would’ve been the bees, they was always our friends”

My mate swears blind these immortals lines were spoken by Michael Caine in the swarm.

Saw an interview with Mr Caine recently where he said the only reason he signed up for The Swarm was the number of Hollywood legends in its cast.

"There we was - me and Henry Fonda - in a cave full of bees! Within seconds, Hank had begun trying to brush off the black dots that had started appearing on our faces and clothes. It turned out the bees were shitting on us!"

`

Postby ` » 31 Dec 2018, 12:50

Rayge wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Not sure if I learned anything new but watching a video about ancient megalithy types of things the presenter himself really didn't know a lot either, especially about how these stones were carved or moved and he was surely stumped as to how ancient Egyptians could know about the existence of helicopters or what looks to me like a tank and a submarine. Pretty wild shit.

Yep, catch-penny wid shit full of lies and dumbery documentaries like that shouldn't be allowed. They look like helicopters tanks and submarines to you, because you've seen them. To the Egyptians who carved them (Um, they used tools, which they had in abundance, to carve them, and basic engineering and nous and muscle power to move them, incidentally), they looked like stuff they had all around them: agricultural or cooking implements, figures from their imagination, ritual or symbolic objects, whatever.
For someone who automatically rejects the official version, you sure are gullible when it comes to flim flam merchants.
Happy New Year, Jimbo, and don't buy any bridges.

I wish you'd told me that before you sent me the Erik von Daniken book in this year's Secret Santa

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2018, 13:14

Yep, catch-penny wid shit full of lies and dumbery documentaries like that shouldn't be allowed. They look like helicopters tanks and submarines to you, because you've seen them. To the Egyptians who carved them (Um, they used tools, which they had in abundance, to carve them, and basic engineering and nous and muscle power to move them, incidentally), they looked like stuff they had all around them: agricultural or cooking implements, figures from their imagination, ritual or symbolic objects, whatever. For someone who automatically rejects the official version, you sure are gullible when it comes to flim flam merchants. Happy New Year, Jimbo, and don't buy any bridges.

And you used to be a hippie.

Neither I nor the presenter ascribed ancient aliens or other woo woo reasons for the - I mean, c'mon, man! - astounding resemblance to modern things. Only a boring old, over-educated, incurious fart like you couldn't at least be intrigued. The birds, the insect, the hieroglyphics, they're understandable but the helicopter? Those other crafts? Do they not at least deserve a "Far out, man."
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Dec 2018, 15:52

Jimbo wrote:And you used to be a hippie.

I was never an idiot, though. :D
I'm all for going wow, far out and so on at the sheer gall of people who present this dogshit, but on the whole I've always been more excited by and interested in people who know the subject they are expatiating on

Jimbo wrote:Neither I nor the presenter ascribed ancient aliens or other woo woo reasons for the - I mean, c'mon, man! - astounding resemblance to modern things. The birds, the insect, the hieroglyphics, they're understandable but the helicopter? Those other crafts? Do they not at least deserve a "Far out, man."

They don't bear the slightest resemblance to modern things, except in the brain of a modern person who has learned to interpret shapes in the modern world. The Carvings you point out (they're all hieroglyphs, by the way, not just the ones you can't make sense of as figurative pictures). I've had another look, with my once-worked-for-a-couple-of-years-on-a-partwork-about-Ancient-Egypt head on. That thing you read as a helicopter, albeit one with its cabin missing, a tail that would interfere with the rotors and a second tail going nowhere I'm thinking may be a shaduf, or something similar, important in Egyptian agriculture. The 'tank' to the right of it looks like a reed basket or trug. The 'submarine' (looks more like a barrage balloon or dirigible to me) I can't make sense of, although it includes the glyph for 'mouth', or the letter/sound R.
What is unusual, now that I look at it, is that some carvings are seemingly superimposed on others: the 'bird' (another letter symbol) cuts into the 'helicopter' and the whole right end is one big mess.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2018, 16:06

Rayge wrote:
Jimbo wrote:And you used to be a hippie.

I was never an idiot, though. :D

Well, I am an idiot. Not proud of it but willing to admit that I am. But at least I'm not a downer, man, taking away joy and wonder from simpletons like me who only want a place at the smart guys' table once in a while.

I see what you mean, though. They're probably hieroglyphs.
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Dec 2018, 16:20

Jimbo wrote:I'm not a downer, man, taking away joy and wonder from simpletons like me who only want a place at the smart guys' table once in a while.

First off, I'm sorry I implied you were an idiot Jimbo, It was uncalled-for and untrue.
You're always welcome at my table, man, as are your joy and wonder. As a great fan of Keats's idea of negative capability (see sig in orange below) I think our lives are much enriched by holding the joy and wonder, the 'woo woo' 'explanations' and the fascination of all the competing academic and creative interpretation(s) at the same time, holding none to be 'true', as that state is chimerical at best: as a confirmed aoutotheist, I further believe that the source of joy and wonder lies within us, rather than in the objects of the j&w, and can, with practice, be applied anywhere, even to the quotidian round.
HNY Jimbo

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 31 Dec 2018, 20:26

Jimbo wrote:Image

Not sure if I learned anything new but watching a video about ancient megalithy types of things the presenter himself really didn't know a lot either, especially about how these stones were carved or moved and he was surely stumped as to how ancient Egyptians could know about the existence of helicopters or what looks to me like a tank and a submarine. Pretty wild shit.

Some of those look super imposed to me. They are off centre and seem to have been moulded rather than carved. There are so many fictional " documentaries" ( usually shown of the Discovery Channel) around . I never watch them anymore. I remember one on something called "Rods", which claimed that there were microscopic alien space craft speeding through the sun beams in Vietnamese cave systems. It was all entirely made up. Apparently it was some sort of entertainment. I think these things are probably a government test of gullibility , to see how much bullshit people will swallow. Gulp it down Jim.
You don't like me...do you?

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jan 2019, 21:47

A town two or three hours south of me has a testicle festival every year. :shock: It's a big ranching community and I guess the bulls get "sheared" at the same time so they cook them up and serve them, about 500 lbs. worth. That takes a lot of balls. :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

`

Postby ` » 08 Jan 2019, 09:30

According to Joe Moran's Armchair Nation history of UK TV, the most watched British TV show of all-time wasn't the 1977 Morecambe and Wise Xmas special, it was the Mike Yarwood Show immediately before it. JM rather drily points out that this means that many people actually turned off or over before M&W came on.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Jan 2019, 19:58

Ellen DeGeneres has a letter from the New England Historic Genealogical Society confirming she is 15th cousin to Kate Middleton (Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.)
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 Jan 2019, 23:06

Elvis had a horse called Star Trek.
You don't like me...do you?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 13 Jan 2019, 01:06

yomptepi wrote:Elvis had a horse called Star Trek.

Inspired by the line “When Uhura feelin' lonely and got no place to dwell”.

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 16 Jan 2019, 16:44

A streak of white hair naturally occurring is called a mallen streak. Its hereditary.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 16 Jan 2019, 18:13

Daddy Longlegs wrote:A streak of white hair naturally occurring is called a mallen streak. Its hereditary.

From a novel called The Mallen Streak by Catherine Cookson.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 Jan 2019, 21:21

Meat was still being rationed in Britain until 1954.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Return to “Nextdoorland”