Belle Lettre wrote:DD: "Can't be arsed"
It was just some drunken grumbling.

:) I did thank that maybe...
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

hippopotamus

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby hippopotamus » 06 Jun 2016, 22:27

After getting through a rough rota the last month, and running on about 2 hours of sleep in the last 30... I'm celebrating a week off by singing through every musical soundtrack I own, and reading a wodehouse book... I wanted to look up the wikipedia entry on Musicals...
"In the 1910s, the team of P. G. Wodehouse, Guy Bolton and Jerome Kern, following in the footsteps of Gilbert and Sullivan, created the "Princess Theatre shows" ...""These shows built and polished the mold from which almost all later major musical comedies evolved."

I had no idea (except now I remember reading that P G Wodehouse got a telegram on his 70's birthday from Richard Rogers (of Rogers and Hart and Rogers and Hammerstein) that he owed his entire career (or something) to him.

I love it when my worlds come together.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Jun 2016, 07:26

Lars Ulrich has just done a summer programme on Swedish radio - sort of like Desert Islands - and I'd never put 2 and 2 together that his father is the famous (in Scandinavia at least) tennis player Torben Ulrich, and that Lars moved to California to become a professional tennis player himself. His father seems really absolutely too cool for school - on top of being one of the best tennis players of his age, he was deeply involved in the 60s jazz scene in Denmark (which was very happening). Lars's godfather is Dexter Gordon.

The programme is in English for anyone interested - Lars himself comes across awkward as usual. He describe's Cliff Burton's death as the biggest setback of their careers. :?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 27 Jun 2016, 08:34

Geezee wrote:Lars Ulrich has just done a summer programme on Swedish radio - sort of like Desert Islands - and I'd never put 2 and 2 together that his father is the famous (in Scandinavia at least) tennis player Torben Ulrich, and that Lars moved to California to become a professional tennis player himself. His father seems really absolutely too cool for school - on top of being one of the best tennis players of his age, he was deeply involved in the 60s jazz scene in Denmark (which was very happening). Lars's godfather is Dexter Gordon.

The programme is in English for anyone interested - Lars himself comes across awkward as usual. He describe's Cliff Burton's death as the biggest setback of their careers. :?

Lars 'awkward'? He usually comes across as a motormouthed overconfident type, surely. I think he's mellowed a bit in recent years though. Less to prove, maybe.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Jun 2016, 08:55

Fonz wrote:
Geezee wrote:Lars Ulrich has just done a summer programme on Swedish radio - sort of like Desert Islands - and I'd never put 2 and 2 together that his father is the famous (in Scandinavia at least) tennis player Torben Ulrich, and that Lars moved to California to become a professional tennis player himself. His father seems really absolutely too cool for school - on top of being one of the best tennis players of his age, he was deeply involved in the 60s jazz scene in Denmark (which was very happening). Lars's godfather is Dexter Gordon.

Lars 'awkward'? He usually comes across as a motormouthed overconfident type, surely. I think he's mellowed a bit in recent years though. Less to prove, maybe.

Yes, I couldn't think of a better word. I've just generally found that the way he describes things, the words he chooses, are not appropriate - and I'm not always sure it's what he actually means (perhaps down to motormouthedness, perhaps the foreign language, but also what seems to be an instinctive defensiveness). Describing the death of Burton as a "setback" is a case in point.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Aug 2016, 17:38

In the 1990s, [] Kenya passed Israel to become Europe’s biggest provider of cut flowers, which now exceed coffee as its main source of export income.

A flower, like a human, is two-thirds water. The amount of water a typical floral exporter therefore ships to Europe each year equals the annual needs of a town of 20,000 people. During droughts, flower factories with production quotas stick siphons into Lake Naivasha, a papyrus-lined, freshwater bird and hippo sanctuary just downstream from the Aberdares. Along with water, they suck up entire generations of fish eggs. What trickles back whiffs of the chemical trade-off that keeps the bloom on a rose flawless all the way to Paris.

Lake Naivasha, however, doesn’t look quite so alluring... The rotting tissues of hippo carcasses reveal the secret to perfect bouquets: DDT and, 40 times more toxic, Dieldrin—pesticides banned in countries whose markets have made Kenya the world’s number-one rose exporter.

http://www.worldwithoutus.com/about_book.html

:(
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Sep 2016, 03:44

That none of the four dictionary.com definitions for "voluptuous" refer to, or even imply a reference to, the largesse of a woman's bosom... which is the context in which I have most often heard the word.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 06 Sep 2016, 09:32

Snarfyguy wrote:
In the 1990s, [] Kenya passed Israel to become Europe’s biggest provider of cut flowers, which now exceed coffee as its main source of export income.

A flower, like a human, is two-thirds water. The amount of water a typical floral exporter therefore ships to Europe each year equals the annual needs of a town of 20,000 people. During droughts, flower factories with production quotas stick siphons into Lake Naivasha, a papyrus-lined, freshwater bird and hippo sanctuary just downstream from the Aberdares. Along with water, they suck up entire generations of fish eggs. What trickles back whiffs of the chemical trade-off that keeps the bloom on a rose flawless all the way to Paris.

Lake Naivasha, however, doesn’t look quite so alluring... The rotting tissues of hippo carcasses reveal the secret to perfect bouquets: DDT and, 40 times more toxic, Dieldrin—pesticides banned in countries whose markets have made Kenya the world’s number-one rose exporter.

http://www.worldwithoutus.com/about_book.html

:(

That's grim. I assumed all our flowers came from Holland because all the big flower lorries seem like they're Dutch.
Heyyyy!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Sep 2016, 10:00

Diamond Dog wrote:"Neorxnawang" is a word in the English language.

Old English.

It's the Anglo-Saxon for the translation of "paradise".

Similarly, the actual word "paradise" actually comes from the Persian, which was used to describe huge reserves of game created by the Kings.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Sep 2016, 16:43

Toby wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:"Neorxnawang" is a word in the English language.

Old English.

It's the Anglo-Saxon for the translation of "paradise".

Similarly, the actual word "paradise" actually comes from the Persian, which was used to describe huge reserves of game created by the Kings.

I thought it was a similar root to garden?
Not too dissimilar from game reserve I suppose.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Oct 2016, 19:45

Los Angeles County had more Republican voters in 2012 than all of Mississippi.

http://thebaffler.com/blog/beverly-hill ... gy-johnson
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 19 Oct 2016, 11:11

Facepacks, just wow. I'm gleaming.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Oct 2016, 10:13

Until today, on the anniversary, I had never heard of the Aberfan disaster. What an awful, awful event. :(
I'm a bit surprised I hadn't heard of it, doesn't seem to have been discussed much in media, which itself is a scandal - or perhaps I have just missed or been ignorant of the coverage.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Oct 2016, 11:25

Geezee wrote:Until today, on the anniversary, I had never heard of the Aberfan disaster. What an awful, awful event. :(.

It happened just after I had started at University. I had been billeted sharing a room with a guy called Roger, who had grown up in Abercanaid, the next village up the valley from Aberfan: his little brother knew many of the kids who died. It was seen as an appalling event at the time, dominating the news for the latter half of that year. I'm not sure why the anniversary is so little marked.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Oct 2016, 11:44

Rayge wrote:
Geezee wrote:Until today, on the anniversary, I had never heard of the Aberfan disaster. What an awful, awful event. :(.

It happened just after I had started at University. I had been billeted sharing a room with a guy called Roger, who had grown up in Abercanaid, the next village up the valley from Aberfan: his little brother knew many of the kids who died. It was seen as an appalling event at the time, dominating the news for the latter half of that year. I'm not sure why the anniversary is so little marked.

Well this anniversary seems to be covered in quite a lot of detail, which is normal as it's the 50th anniversary, but yes I don't recall it before at all.

I'm sickened by it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Oct 2016, 11:40

Some self confessed Bowie fans actually have little or no understanding of the man and his music whatsoever.
Cocaine

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 23 Oct 2016, 11:41

Fact.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Oct 2016, 11:45

Or maybe

Or even

8-)
Cocaine

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 Oct 2016, 11:47

60 years today since the start of the Hungarian Uprising.

Flags flying all over the city with a hole cut out of the middle. I've only just found out this was flown in '56 by revolutionaries who'd cut the Commie red star out.

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Oct 2016, 16:26

Send my regards to Budapest!

We'll be back one day. Nice folks.
Heyyyy!

Return to “Nextdoorland”