Wiz War
Lost Cities
Dominion
Cosmic Encounter
Castle Panic
King of Tokyo
Kingmaker

That's an eclectic mix!

I really cant get on with Pandemic = nice mechanism, but I struggle with cooperative games.

Love Letter is a piece of design brilliance I think. Expensive for what in essence is a deck of 16 cards, but gets lots of use.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: NEW Boardgames thread

Postby Toby » 19 Jul 2014, 09:22

I'm the same with co-op games - the problem with them is the "alpha player" who essentially decides what everyone does. That's why Hana-bi is great, because it restricts the amount of information you can provide to other players. I've heard that Robinson Crusoe has a great co-op mechanic as well.

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 20 Jul 2014, 05:12

watts wrote:At the moment Veronica loves:

Caylus

Holy crap, your daughter (I'm assuming you're talking about your daughter) loves Caylus?!!??!?!

I've seen Caylus reduce grown men to weeping, quivering lumps of inarticulate flesh. Granted they were wildly immature grown men, but still...

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 21 Jul 2014, 07:49

Power Grid- classic game.

Have you played Fearsome Floors? It's another game from Freideman Freese; basically it's a clever movement game about crossing a cellar without being caught by Frankenstein, great fun.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 21 Jul 2014, 18:15

We played Chronoaunts this weekend and the girls loved it - actually knew more about 20th Century history than I expected. It was someone else's game so I have now been instructed to purchase it.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 10 Jan 2015, 19:34

Played a few games over Xmas

Machi Koro - sort of Settlers of Catan meets Dominion. Liked this a lot.

Sushi Go - fast card drafting game - like it a lot.

I'm also waiting on my copy of the Mushroom Eaters, which should be dropping on my porch soon.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 11 Jan 2015, 01:00

I haven't been following this thread, but do love games.
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but we started playing Istanbul this holiday. I really like it, and I don't know any games that are similar. I've also never known any games to have SO many different parts or pieces, just setting it up has about 20 different things you have to do. Still, the actual game-play works very nicely. I like that it has a board that can be changed around for a shorter or longer game. The point of the game is to collect gems, and they are so pretty you actually really DO want to go out and collect them. There also are so many different ways of playing it. I taught it to 5 people who wanted to play, without playing myself. Without picking up a strategy from someone who had played before, each person went about playing in a completely different way. It's also similar to Ticket to Ride (another family favourite) in that everyone gets into their only little game, that it almost doesn't matter who wins in the end. I kind of like that. Each turn is like deciding what you want to do around Istanbul that day..."Oh I quite fancy popping into the mosque/post-office", "Let me see what I can get for these rings at the large market, today".

We played a lot of Ticket to Ride as well, with the 1912 expansion pack. Also, Zum um Zug the German board. Eurgh I hate that version. Much too stressful, and far too competitive for me.

I also played the Werewolf game. We only played twice...but it didn't work as smoothly as I think it was supposed to. It was good fun to see how little some people trust other people, though.

Played Dixit a LOT. Unfortunately, I figured out the reason why I used to lose so badly is that I sort of enjoyed coming up with my own interpretation of those beautiful illustrations, whether people would be able to guess the clues or not. Then I realised it's pretty strategic, and a lot of the game is about using as many inside jokes as you can manage. I still like the pictures though.

Someone also gave me Rapscallion for Christmas, but haven't been able to figure out the rules just yet.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 11 Jan 2015, 02:38

A new favorite at our house.... Tokaido. Just strolling down a road collecting stuff. Such a pretty game.

Love Letter as well as been a regular play.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 11 Jan 2015, 07:52

all mimsy wrote:I haven't been following this thread, but do love games.
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but we started playing Istanbul this holiday. I really like it, and I don't know any games that are similar. I've also never known any games to have SO many different parts or pieces, just setting it up has about 20 different things you have to do. Still, the actual game-play works very nicely. I like that it has a board that can be changed around for a shorter or longer game. The point of the game is to collect gems, and they are so pretty you actually really DO want to go out and collect them. There also are so many different ways of playing it. I taught it to 5 people who wanted to play, without playing myself. Without picking up a strategy from someone who had played before, each person went about playing in a completely different way. It's also similar to Ticket to Ride (another family favourite) in that everyone gets into their only little game, that it almost doesn't matter who wins in the end. I kind of like that. Each turn is like deciding what you want to do around Istanbul that day..."Oh I quite fancy popping into the mosque/post-office", "Let me see what I can get for these rings at the large market, today".

Istanbul looks really good - I think it won the Kennerspiel des Jahres for last year.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 12 Jan 2015, 08:51

Istanbul is a neat game, lots to think about without being brain burning. I think the worker drop-off/collection may be a mechanism I've not seen before.

Currently enjoying Historia, which is a progress/development game. A bit dry but with multiple pathways to win. also Nations the dice game- all the angst of full fat Nations in only 20 minutes.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 12 Jan 2015, 08:53

And last weekend we played Steam for the first time in a long time. Glad to report that I still 'have it'!

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 12 Jan 2015, 19:17

Got several new (to me) games over the holidays: Imperial, Bruxelles 1893 (which I'd already played several times), Neuland, Roll for the Galaxy, Locomotive Werks, German Railways, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Container and some others.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 13 Jan 2015, 16:19

Just picked up and play tested Takenoko yesterday. The ladies are going to love it I think.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 16 Jan 2015, 11:38

Was scrabbling around the internet looking for an X-Wing Millennium Falcon. Snared one but they're virtually sold out and the figures are selling on Ebay for £45 or so already.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Jan 2015, 12:36

NFL team Green Bay Packers are obsessed with Settlers of Catan

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-packers ... 1421346102

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 18 Jan 2015, 13:50

Oh Martha Red Dragon Inn looks like a hoot. I can see my ladies digging it. On my list.

I've recently picked up Small World for my ipad to see if I'd like the board game itself and see if my girls liked it (I've done this a few times and they usually pester me to pick up the real deal). Anyway I think I like it but, damn it, I suck. I pulled of one win (think it more fortuitous than skill though). Mostly I have the smallest pile of coins at the end.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 19 Jan 2015, 15:56

Have you tried Stone Age? The iPad app is decent, though I prefer to play the real thing.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 20 Jan 2015, 14:52

I haven't. I'll look it up. Right now my i-pad rotation is Small World, Lords of Waterdeep and Carcassonne (which is still probably the game I play most with my girls) plus a couple of war games. The girls also have Whoiwasit? on the i-pad as well. I bought the board game for one of their friend's birthdays and they dug it - found the app and it's something they both like.

And Red Dragon Inn is being delivered today.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 20 Jan 2015, 16:30

Over Xmas I had a discussion friends of mine about Euro boardgames and we came to the conclusion that they are the prog-rock of the gaming world. There's a lot of similarities between Prog and Euros I reckon - that same level of relatively closed off conviviality between its adherents and sniffiness about "less complex" games.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 20 Jan 2015, 17:32

Surely Civilisation, 18xx and monster wargames like Totalerkreig are the Prog of the gaming world?

Go on for a long time, are totally engrossing for the congnacenti, and totally baffling to everyone else?

Return to “Nextdoorland”