NEW Boardgames thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: NEW Boardgames thread

Postby Toby » 17 Jul 2014, 07:58

Splendor is nice - lovely, meaty components and easy to learn. Still annoyed at the US spelling though.

Played Galaxy Trucker the other weekend - fast, furious, anarchic fun although the relative lack of player interaction is a downside.

I've just ordered my copy of "The Mushroom Eaters" - a boardgame about imbibing psilocybin.

http://www.nohighscores.com/2014/04/03/ ... in-review/

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 17 Jul 2014, 08:06

Zen Coan wrote:Lots of Splendor and Race for the Galaxy with Alien Artifacts mixed in lately. Before that was Suburbia. Up and comers are The Speicherstadt and A Study in Emerald.

And I'm named in the rules for Study in Emerald!

Russian Railroads is my current discovery.

The good news from Trrefrog is that Mythotopia is finally getting a release; great game (development/emptied building with a deck building element). A large German company has been sat on it for several years, but we finally got the rights back.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 17 Jul 2014, 08:09

Oh, and if anyone finds a copy of Skulls & Roses Pick it up! It's a great lightweight bluffing game, best played with a beer or two.

Apparently it is going to re-released by one of the majors with a slightly different name, but I for one want the original.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Jul 2014, 08:26

Martin, can you get hold of a copy of A Study in Emerald? It's pretty difficult to source ATM.

watts

Postby watts » 17 Jul 2014, 16:18

I have this -- its a bluffing game with skulls and roses, but it's just called skull. Is that the one you're referring to? If so, YES! It is very fun.

--m

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 17 Jul 2014, 16:49

Corporate whore wrote:
Zen Coan wrote:Lots of Splendor and Race for the Galaxy with Alien Artifacts mixed in lately. Before that was Suburbia. Up and comers are The Speicherstadt and A Study in Emerald.

And I'm named in the rules for Study in Emerald!

Russian Railroads is my current discovery.

The good news from Trrefrog is that Mythotopia is finally getting a release; great game (development/emptied building with a deck building element). A large German company has been sat on it for several years, but we finally got the rights back.

That had to have been a really interesting game to playtest (I'm assuming that's how you're in the credits).

Mythotopia is a reimplementation of A Few Acres of Snow, right?

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 17 Jul 2014, 17:16

I only play with my girls and while they seem almost as into as I am I'd love to try some of the more complex titles I see when looking for new ones for us. King of Tokyo has been the favorite for months now.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 18 Jul 2014, 14:52

Forbidden Island has been on my "to-get" list for awhile. They enjoy the co-op games. Is Takenoko that fantastic looking one where you simply walk a road in Japan collecting items, encounters and vistas?

Blokus gets a number of plays and we travel with Sleeping Queens all of the time.

How old is Veronica now? I'd like to try Pandemic but I'm not sure how a pair of seven year olds would handle it. Mind you, that seem to take to the ones we play rather quickly. My mom was taken back watching them play Carcassonne one afternoon.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 18 Jul 2014, 23:23

watts wrote:I have this -- its a bluffing game with skulls and roses, but it's just called skull. Is that the one you're referring to? If so, YES! It is very fun.

Yes, I think that's the reissue.

The original cards are beer mats with suitably biker artwork: don't know what the new one is like.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 18 Jul 2014, 23:25

Toby wrote:Martin, can you get hold of a copy of A Study in Emerald? It's pretty difficult to source ATM.

Unfortunately because Martin now lives in New Zealand its not as easy for me to get - As of two weeks ago Fanboy Three in Manchester had a copy, but no idea what the price/postage will be.

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 18 Jul 2014, 23:30

Zen Coan wrote:That had to have been a really interesting game to playtest (I'm assuming that's how you're in the credits).

Mythotopia is a reimplementation of A Few Acres of Snow, right?

Yes it is, but multi-player.

As for my name being in the rules, this is how it works;

For Ankh-Morpork, which I played several times I suggested a major change to the game which really improved it as a game - and Martin forgot to name me in the rules.

For Study in Emerald, my feedback was - and I quote 'Its a bit shit, needs more work' for which I was named in the rules.

For the new secret Pratchet game in development, before playing I said 'what a bag of wank, no one will but this', so expect my name to be on the box as co-developer!

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 18 Jul 2014, 23:33

watts wrote:At the moment Veronica loves:

Takenoko
Pandemic
Forbidden Island
Caylus
Talisman
Love Letter
Small World
Ringgz
Urland
Hanabi
Blokus
Gloom
Sleeping Queens
Bohnanza
Wiz War
Lost Cities
Dominion
Cosmic Encounter
Castle Panic
King of Tokyo
Kingmaker

That's an eclectic mix!

I really cant get on with Pandemic = nice mechanism, but I struggle with cooperative games.

Love Letter is a piece of design brilliance I think. Expensive for what in essence is a deck of 16 cards, but gets lots of use.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 Jul 2014, 09:22

I'm the same with co-op games - the problem with them is the "alpha player" who essentially decides what everyone does. That's why Hana-bi is great, because it restricts the amount of information you can provide to other players. I've heard that Robinson Crusoe has a great co-op mechanic as well.

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 20 Jul 2014, 05:12

Caylus

Holy crap, your daughter (I'm assuming you're talking about your daughter) loves Caylus?!!??!?!

I've seen Caylus reduce grown men to weeping, quivering lumps of inarticulate flesh. Granted they were wildly immature grown men, but still...

watts

Postby watts » 20 Jul 2014, 22:40

Ray K. wrote:Forbidden Island has been on my "to-get" list for awhile. They enjoy the co-op games. Is Takenoko that fantastic looking one where you simply walk a road in Japan collecting items, encounters and vistas?.

That's Tokkaido. I love that game, a work of art as you play it out too -- fun and beautiful.

No Takenoko is a strategy game for 2 - 4 players -- basically you are a gardener growing bamboo to feed the royal panda. It plays well with 3, so Jeff and I like playing it with Veronica -- it might work well for a dad and the gals night for you and your kids Ray. Typical we play through it in about 40-50 mins The basic game play is simple, but the strategy involved is complex enough to make it fun for all of us and the CUTENESS of it is very high so it's a big hit with my daughter and her friends.
--m

watts

Postby watts » 20 Jul 2014, 22:42

Corporate whore wrote:
watts wrote:I have this -- its a bluffing game with skulls and roses, but it's just called skull. Is that the one you're referring to? If so, YES! It is very fun.

Yes, I think that's the reissue.

The original cards are beer mats with suitably biker artwork: don't know what the new one is like.

The version I have has beer mats with sort of...Dia De Los Muertos art. Pretty. It's fun to play with the right group.
--m

watts

Postby watts » 20 Jul 2014, 22:52

Ray K. wrote:How old is Veronica now? I'd like to try Pandemic but I'm not sure how a pair of seven year olds would handle it. Mind you, that seem to take to the ones we play rather quickly. My mom was taken back watching them play Carcassonne one afternoon.

She's 9.

Carcassonne is a great tile placement game for kids. We all enjoyed it. Another good one for kids is Agricola, it's a hand management, worker placement game. Great fun. And her friends are big on playing Mermaid Rain. It's a tile placement, hand management set collection game...with a mermaids and jewels component to it that the girls all find appealing. Decent gameplay so her dad and I will play it with them too.

What Veronica likes about Pandemic is actually the similarities to Forbidden Island, but increased complexity and game play dynamics. We played Forbidden Island first I think -- and that groomed her for the dynamics of Pandemic. She also likes Power Grid -- but it's premise just isn't cute enough to appeal to her friends.
--m

Corporate whore

Postby Corporate whore » 21 Jul 2014, 07:49

Power Grid- classic game.

Have you played Fearsome Floors? It's another game from Freideman Freese; basically it's a clever movement game about crossing a cellar without being caught by Frankenstein, great fun.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 21 Jul 2014, 18:15

We played Chronoaunts this weekend and the girls loved it - actually knew more about 20th Century history than I expected. It was someone else's game so I have now been instructed to purchase it.

watts

Postby watts » 22 Jul 2014, 01:35

Zen Coan wrote:

Caylus

Holy crap, your daughter (I'm assuming you're talking about your daughter) loves Caylus?!!??!?!

I've seen Caylus reduce grown men to weeping, quivering lumps of inarticulate flesh. Granted they were wildly immature grown men, but still...

:) she loves it. She wins fairly often too.
--m

Return to “Nextdoorland”