Cupcakes
17%
Pies
83%

Total votes: 30

Sneelock

Re: Pies v. Cupcakes

Postby Sneelock » 19 Nov 2010, 21:19

I learned a lesson when my kids asked me for in-line skates. all you need to do to make something popular is to make it expensive!

designer cupcakes? do your own thing, baby. I'll take pie by virtue of being pie.

der nister

Postby der nister » 19 Nov 2010, 21:55

Nolamike wrote:
zphage wrote:mike

It is good to know a man can not live on BBQ and deep fried turkey alone,

God Bless the cupcake

:lol:

I'm having devilish thoughts of a deep-fried turducken, but I'm not exactly sure it would work...

it works, I did it for Paul Prudhomme many a moon ago, can't go past a 12lb turkey, and depending on density increases cook time from 3 1/2 minutes per lb to almost 7 minutes per lb.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 30 Jan 2011, 03:01

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Jan 2011, 03:30

Cosmic American Girl wrote:Image

I'll have 14.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 30 Jan 2011, 04:31

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 30 Jan 2011, 14:51

Muskrat wrote:Pinkberry

*Shudders*

One of those just opened up here. It's directly across from the Whole Foods, and next door to a massive yoga facility, so I guess it's the right location.

I don't know why anyone would go there, though, as it's within a half-mile of three amazing ice cream shops and about a half-dozen snowball stands.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 31 Jan 2011, 22:22

Loki wrote:Image

I'd call those tarts rather than pies.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 01 Feb 2011, 01:32

Nolamike wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Pinkberry

*Shudders*

One of those just opened up here. It's directly across from the Whole Foods, and next door to a massive yoga facility, so I guess it's the right location.

I don't know why anyone would go there, though, as it's within a half-mile of three amazing ice cream shops and about a half-dozen snowball stands.

They're closing down right and left here; evidently even trendiness can go only so far in Los Angeles. Off to the next trend. Speaking of which:

Is pie the new cupcake?

Cupcakes became so popular over the last few years that upscale bakeries sprang up across the nation to offer them in red velvet, mocha and chai latte. A fan site featured pictures of cupcake tattoos on aficionados.

But new versions of the all-American favorite — pie — are increasingly popping up at bakeries and restaurants. Pie has replaced cake at some weddings. There are pie happy hours and pie shooters served in shot glasses.

"Pie is hot," said Andrew Freeman, a restaurant industry consultant who predicts pie will be the top food trend for 2011. "We predict that there will be dedicated pie shops and pie carts and pie trucks opening in the next year.

"If I'm wrong, I'll eat pie."
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Feb 2011, 01:36

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Feb 2011, 01:38

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 01 Feb 2011, 03:46

John aka Josh wrote:I'd call those tarts rather than pies.

They are pieces of raspberry pie, lemon pie, and chocolate cream pie, respectively. Mmmmmmmm

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Feb 2011, 03:50

Muskrat wrote:Speaking of which:

Is pie the new cupcake?

Cupcakes became so popular over the last few years that upscale bakeries sprang up across the nation to offer them in red velvet, mocha and chai latte. A fan site featured pictures of cupcake tattoos on aficionados.

But new versions of the all-American favorite — pie — are increasingly popping up at bakeries and restaurants. Pie has replaced cake at some weddings. There are pie happy hours and pie shooters served in shot glasses.

"Pie is hot," said Andrew Freeman, a restaurant industry consultant who predicts pie will be the top food trend for 2011. "We predict that there will be dedicated pie shops and pie carts and pie trucks opening in the next year.

Did someone get paid to write that!?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 01 Feb 2011, 20:49

Loki wrote:

They are pieces of raspberry pie, lemon pie, and chocolate cream pie, respectively. Mmmmmmmm

Hm. Look like raspberry tart, lemon tart & chocolate cream tart to me. Self respecting pies should have a pastry base, sides and top.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 01 Feb 2011, 21:59

Muskrat wrote:
Is pie the new cupcake?

What the hell? :o

Anybody who went out and got a cupcake tattoo should have their ass kicked.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Feb 2011, 22:43

Nolamike wrote:Anybody who went out and got a cupcake tattoo should have their ass kicked.

Espeically if the tattoo is on their ass!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 02 Feb 2011, 01:14

LeBaron wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Speaking of which:

Is pie the new cupcake?

Did someone get paid to write that!?

Not only that, but a friend -- former co-worker -- of mine who unfriended me on Facebook when I suggested how difficult it must be for The Times to find a new trend every week.

On a brighter note: for cupcake lovers in the Bay Area.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Feb 2011, 03:06

John aka Josh wrote:
Loki wrote:

Hm. Look like raspberry tart, lemon tart & chocolate cream tart to me. Self respecting pies should have a pastry base, sides and top.

It must be an American thing. Not all pies have pastry on top.

Last edited by Loki on 02 Feb 2011, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2011, 18:04

From Nola Mike's intent on this thread I have to choose pies over cupcakes because I will amost always choose pie of cake regardless of the size of the cake. It just comes down to my preference of a well made crust and make no mistake, that is the most important part of the pie, combined with delicious fresh picked fruit. It's basically a healthy dessert if your body can handle the butter that is needed for the pastry part. You can decrease the amount of sugar needed when you use really good fruit and I suppose up to a point that could be done with a cake too but I've always prefered pie over cake. When I was a kid I always asked my Grandmother to make me a pie or a peach cobbler for my birthday instead of a cake. There's nothing wrong with cupcakes or cakes in general but for me, the pie is the winner in almost any situation.

I think the first time I heard of cupcakes making a big splash was about 15 years ago when a bakery in San Francisco, Citizen Cake began getting noticed for their cupcakes. It made sense to me because they are small so you could be one or two cupcakes instead of having to buy a large cake if you wanted just a little bit and as others have shown here, what you put into them is up to your own imagination. All they are to me is cake on a small scale. Pies have their own version of these smaller scale bites too. Sometimes size does matter, big or small.
Last edited by Six String on 02 Feb 2011, 23:48, edited 2 times in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 02 Feb 2011, 18:06

Six String wrote:F It's basically a healthy desert if your body can handle the butter that is needed for the pastry part.

Butter? Psssh. Real pastry uses lard.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Feb 2011, 23:49

Nolamike wrote:
Six String wrote:F It's basically a healthy desert if your body can handle the butter that is needed for the pastry part.

Butter? Psssh. Real pastry uses lard.

Thanks for quoting my misspelled word. ;) And the real answer is leaf lard. It is the best, hands down. End of.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”