DISAGREE
45%

Total votes: 40

johnnydefault

Re: Nick Clegg = TRAITOR?

Postby johnnydefault » 10 May 2010, 09:56

Errant Panda wrote:
Copehead wrote:
I'm not sure nationalists are as stupid as you make out. PR is massively to their benefit why would they scupper their long term electoral chances for a short term financial benefit?

Because their countries are economic basket-cases entirely dependent on public largesse?

The SNP would also hold out for a referendum on independence or my name is Hamish McTavish.

Yeah all our big industries are gone and the oil revenue stream has been milked to with an inch of it's life. We're fuck all use to anyone. You're right! Fuck us!

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 10 May 2010, 10:05

brotherlouie wrote:
Errant Panda wrote:The SNP would also hold out for a referendum on independence or my name is Hamish McTavish.

And of course if the Tories take a pragmatic view, they might grant them this. Then they would probably stay in power in England for my lifetime.

I think this is likely to be on the cards sometime in the next decade. If England can shuffle off Scotland to independence, it can tear up the Barnett formula and rid itself of a fiscal drain, whilst at the same time granting the wishes of millions of Scots who would welcome the chance of going-it-alone. The dividend for the Tories would be a huge reduction in Labour representation at Westminster.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

La Denim

Postby La Denim » 10 May 2010, 10:09

Thesiger wrote:
brotherlouie wrote:
Errant Panda wrote:The SNP would also hold out for a referendum on independence or my name is Hamish McTavish.

And of course if the Tories take a pragmatic view, they might grant them this. Then they would probably stay in power in England for my lifetime.

I think this is likely to be on the cards sometime in the next decade. If England can shuffle off Scotland to independence, it can tear up the Barnett formula and rid itself of a fiscal drain, whilst at the same time granting the wishes of millions of Scots who would welcome the chance of going-it-alone. The dividend for the Tories would be a huge reduction in Labour representation at Westminster.

I thought the Scottish Conservatives oppose independence though?
mission wrote:As Brendan Behan said to the person talking about spiritualism, the Catholic Church has a much better class of ghost.

It's my class.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 10 May 2010, 10:10

Betty Denim wrote:

Does he?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

La Denim

Postby La Denim » 10 May 2010, 10:12

Deebank wrote:
Betty Denim wrote:

Does he?

:lol:
mission wrote:As Brendan Behan said to the person talking about spiritualism, the Catholic Church has a much better class of ghost.

It's my class.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 May 2010, 13:34

Thesiger wrote:
brotherlouie wrote:

Its not up to the Tories to offer anything to the Nats. At every election in Scotland it is understood that if the SNP get a large majority then a referendum will happen.

I know one person that is actively indepedance minded, most are against and the fact that Eck is a fucking chump, makes their case even weaker.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 10 May 2010, 13:53

I'm undecided on independence....although I would like a referendum... I must say, I don't know many people dead against independence.

Whether it is a Tory/LebDem coalition (or agreement) or minority Tory government I think it will lead to a larger SNP vote in next year's local election and therefore an independence referendum.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 May 2010, 13:58

I know plenty people who favour independence and whilst I am undecided I'm starting to think that Scotland and England are simply too different politically for Scotland to become the kind of sociey I envision if we are continually tethered to our southern neighbours.

Independence will happen someday.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 10 May 2010, 14:04

I would seriously think about moving to Scotland to avoid the prospect of a permanent Tory government in England.

That's if they would have me.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 May 2010, 14:09

the hanging monkey wrote:I would seriously think about moving to Scotland to avoid the prospect of a permanent Tory government in England.

Get tae fuck.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 10 May 2010, 14:16

Jeemo wrote: Its not up to the Tories to offer anything to the Nats. At every election in Scotland it is understood that if the SNP get a large majority then a referendum will happen.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, Jim, any referendum held by a Scottish government would be for consultation only, it would not be binding upon the Government of the United Kingdom. Only a Westminster-endorsed plebiscite could be linked to the drawing up of the necessary bill to cede independence for Scotland.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 10 May 2010, 14:49

Goat Boy wrote:
the hanging monkey wrote:I would seriously think about moving to Scotland to avoid the prospect of a permanent Tory government in England.

Get tae fuck.

:lol: Ach, you're just saying that.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 10 May 2010, 18:06

From yesterday (Sunday)...

Beebsy wrote:Well apparently the deal is on and Gordon Brown will resign tomorrow.

And I have that on really very good political insider authority. Honestly.

If I'm wrong, I'll deny everything.

Ha!

Now the deal bit isn't concluded but still, I'm allowed a little smugness, no? :D

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 May 2010, 18:13

Indeed 8-) , but I hope you were wrong about who the deal is with.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 10 May 2010, 19:14

God, this is dragging on. Win's the "popularity of the people" in the face off's against Gordon and tosspot, then promptly sees his party lose seats at election. This is the nearest he'll come to power, but now has decide between the 30 pieces of silver or the pound of flesh offers.

La Denim

Postby La Denim » 10 May 2010, 20:28

Beebsy wrote:From yesterday (Sunday)...

Beebsy wrote:Well apparently the deal is on and Gordon Brown will resign tomorrow.

Ha!

Now the deal bit isn't concluded but still, I'm allowed a little smugness, no? :D

As long as you're not having an affair with my Michael to get your information, I'll allow you the smugness. :) ;)

It's my class.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 10 May 2010, 20:41

Betty Denim wrote:

Ha!

As long as you're not having an affair with my Michael to get your information, I'll allow you the smugness. :) ;)

:lol: No. You're safe there, S.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 10 May 2010, 20:51

Ha!

When can we expect you to see you on Question Time, B?

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 10 May 2010, 21:55

I prefer to do my work behind the scenes, M. I'm sure you understand. :lol:

Really though. Finally - FINALLY - I get to enjoy that politics degree and abuse the connections formed way back then.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 May 2010, 21:57

We have our very own Orla Guerlai...Guerli...

thingy

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Nextdoorland”