New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: New now reading

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Oct 2020, 15:21

Evelyn Waugh - Vile Bodies
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Oct 2020, 02:40

"All The Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy. No words, font or facial expressions can describe how great this book is. The sort of book you finish and then bow to. Fucking HELL. There's my author for the rest of the year!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 21 Oct 2020, 20:02

Give a shit or be a shit.

mission

Postby mission » 02 Nov 2020, 05:30

Minnie, it takes a while to get the rhythm of McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," but one you do - holy fuck - what a book.

Complete the Border trilogy, but I urge to keep your McCarthy kick going until you reckon with Blood Meridian
Goodness gracious me.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Nov 2020, 08:26

A bit disappointing to be honest, though Burgess is always at least entertaining. Cartoonish homophobia has not dated well. As a pessimistic view of the future (cannibalism is only the beginning) it's creepy in both good and bad ways. But it's no "Clockwork Orange" (released around the same time).
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 02 Nov 2020, 08:46

Sorry yet another DP! Bit like the (goodish) old days of the internet when everyone was trying to get their post count up so they could publicise they'd reached 100 or 1000 posts.
Last edited by Sam Stone on 02 Nov 2020, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 02 Nov 2020, 08:47

toomanyhatz wrote:Image

A bit disappointing to be honest, though Burgess is always at least entertaining. Cartoonish homophobia has not dated well. As a pessimistic view of the future (cannibalism is only the beginning) it's creepy in both good and bad ways. But it's no "Clockwork Orange" (released around the same time).

Remember reading one of Burgess' autobiogs (Your Time is Up, iirc) where he recalled a time in the early 60s when he'd been diagnosed with some sort of inoperable brain tumour and had to start banging books out to ensure his family was financially secure after his death. Could be this is one of the books from around that time. Fortunately, AB went on to live for another 20-odd years and write the wonderful (if equally dated) Earthly Powers, the opening sentence of which is one of the most guffaw-inducing in 20th century fiction.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Nov 2020, 09:32

Minnie the Minx wrote:"All The Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy. No words, font or facial expressions can describe how great this book is. The sort of book you finish and then bow to. Fucking HELL. There's my author for the rest of the year!

yes indeed.

my ma was the one who turned me onto cormac, with that very book. she handed it to me and said it made her feel like she felt when she was young and she read faulkner for the first time. yep.

mission's right, too.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Nov 2020, 14:31

mission wrote:Minnie, it takes a while to get the rhythm of McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," but one you do - holy fuck - what a book.

Complete the Border trilogy, but I urge to keep your McCarthy kick going until you reckon with Blood Meridian

Thanks for the heads up, mission! I shall. I just read ‘The Road’ which I found a major letdown after the Pretty Horses. Very well written but just so bleak and exhausting.

Good to see you posting, too!

Dr Markus wrote:

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 04 Nov 2020, 14:55

I finished Charlotte Bronte's Villette the other day, and man was that a strange book! It's a very dense, interior, psychological book told from the perspective of a young English woman teaching in a fictional city that's a stand in for Brussels. Almost entirely focused on her limited relationships and insular world, there are about three suddenly phantasmagorical or hallucinogenic interludes that go as suddenly as they appear. One was particularly arresting when I read it, and when I went back to re-read it, it appeared to be far more commonplace than it appeared. I can see why it's not as famous as other Bronte books, and I'm glad to be done with it, but I'm glad I read it.

Before moving back to the world of British Literature of 1853, I'm reading Ta-Nehisi Coates's book of essays, and am currently on the famous case for reparations essay. I have no illusions about American history and have a reasonably strong grasp of it, but I'm having some new thoughts for sure.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2020, 14:36

I finished Richard Ford’s ‘Canada’ which was an absolute joy - a gripping, gentle story about the consequences of choice and human frailty. Really great. Recommended.

Dr Markus wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Nov 2020, 15:15

Minnie, if I may make a recommendation based on what you've been enjoying, you should check out Jim Harrison. I've only read a couple of his novels, and 'True North' is the real standout for me. Just beautiful writing.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Nov 2020, 15:18

Minnie the Minx wrote:
mission wrote:Minnie, it takes a while to get the rhythm of McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," but one you do - holy fuck - what a book.

Thanks for the heads up, mission! I shall. I just read ‘The Road’ which I found a major letdown after the Pretty Horses. Very well written but just so bleak and exhausting.

Reading The Road in this period of time in history? Wow that's a real glutton for punishment!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2020, 15:30

Geezee wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:

Reading The Road in this period of time in history? Wow that's a real glutton for punishment!

I know! :D

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2020, 15:31

harvey k-tel wrote:Minnie, if I may make a recommendation based on what you've been enjoying, you should check out Jim Harrison. I've only read a couple of his novels, and 'True North' is the real standout for me. Just beautiful writing.

Great! I will. Thanks for the heads up!

Dr Markus wrote:

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 10 Nov 2020, 08:25

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image

Halfway through this. Really enjoying it.

As with Alan Partridge Nomad, you can hear the author's delivery
in your head on every page. And as with the Coogan book, the audio
version must be a real treat.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Nov 2020, 09:11

Minnie the Minx wrote:

Er... you might want to wait a while on Blood Meridian then. Or hold out for a light-hearted rom-com film version starring Hugh Grant as The Judge...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Nov 2020, 14:59

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » Yesterday, 01:50

Just finished - ‘Death Comes For The Archbishop’ by Willa Cather. What an extraordinary book. Absolutely extraordinary.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » Yesterday, 04:07

Minnie the Minx wrote:"All The Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy. No words, font or facial expressions can describe how great this book is. The sort of book you finish and then bow to. Fucking HELL. There's my author for the rest of the year!

I love Cormac McCarthy’s writing. It’s possible that I’ve read more of his books than any other artist. For me he is the best American author alive today. His border trilogy is really something. I am not one to gravitate towards violence in books but there have been passages I’ve read in those books that would make me turn my head as if I was watching it on the screen. His command of the English language is something else.