New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 7679
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: New now reading

Postby Lord Rother » 25 May 2020, 13:06

Image

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69202
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2020, 03:37

If you wish to find out how completely dysfunctional the US Govt has been since Trump took over (in fact, in transition before he took office) this is the book for you. Staggering.

Image
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69202
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 May 2020, 10:40

Dr. Baron wrote: Julius Caesar, in particular, is a motherfucker.


It was one of my books in my O Level English Literature (from when I was 15-16).... it completely blew my mind then and still does every time I read it (maybe once a decade or so). It made me really understand characterisation, plot development and structure of reasoning. "Friends, Romans, countrymen.." is probably still my favourite speech by The Bard... the way Mark Antony twists the knives against the conspirators is a sight to behold. A mighty achievement.

I may have to read it again soon!
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23847
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: New now reading

Postby KeithPratt » 29 May 2020, 11:04

Plutarch's Lives is well worth reading. You'll see that Shakespeare essentially lifted whole sections from it when he read North's translated copy of Amyot's French translation from the 1550s.

`
Posts: 2390
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: New now reading

Postby ` » 29 May 2020, 12:37

KeithPratt wrote:

Plutarch's Lives is well worth reading. You'll see that Shakespeare essentially lifted whole sections from it when he read North's translated copy of Amyot's French translation from the 1550s.




As T.S> Eliot memorably said: "Good poets borrow, great poets steal"

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3934
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: New now reading

Postby Fonz » 29 May 2020, 14:52

Jimbo wrote:Image

Whew!


I just finished his latest.

The first LA Quartet ( which you’re is part of) is great. Probably his best run.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

`
Posts: 2390
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: New now reading

Postby ` » 29 May 2020, 15:44

Fonz wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Image

Whew!


I just finished his latest.

The first LA Quartet ( which you’re is part of) is great. Probably his best run.


I gave up on him after Blood's a Rover.

I just gave up on him because of that godawful repetitive short staccato style he'd adopted did my head in.

The short, staccato style. It did my head in. Short and staccato. My head was done in.

I remember reading somewhere that were something like only 47 commas in the whole of its 600-odd pages.

The earlier quartet - the one with American Tabloid - is magnificent though. As were some of his standalone books. A very, very strange man
if you've ever seen/read an interview with him

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3934
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: New now reading

Postby Fonz » 29 May 2020, 23:02

I met him. Asked him if he liked Zappa. The El Monte connection. He didn’t. Strange man indeed.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead
Posts: 18268
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 05 Jun 2020, 05:20

Image

Two hours in and it's Cenemascopic! One character, a white man surviving off the verdant land and plentiful game of the American west and another, a white man accepted into the Shawnee tribe. Really good!
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9119
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: New now reading

Postby Flower » 05 Jun 2020, 13:48

From a lending library ..

Image

I'm one third of the way into the book and really enjoying it. I've never seen the mini series.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53489
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jun 2020, 19:10

Image

Image

Image

Image

Couldn't get through the Mark E. Smith thing; the guy was SUCH an asshole, especially when rubbishing past bandmates.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9119
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: New now reading

Postby Flower » 06 Jun 2020, 20:52

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

Image

Image

Image

Couldn't get through the Mark E. Smith thing; the guy was SUCH an asshole, especially when rubbishing past bandmates.


Welcome back. :D

Other than Cape Fear and his Travis McGee series, I haven't read much of John D. McDonald.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3934
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: New now reading

Postby Fonz » 06 Jun 2020, 22:43

Travis McGee is cool. Busted Flush!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9119
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: New now reading

Postby Flower » 07 Jun 2020, 00:47

Fonz wrote:Travis McGee is cool. Busted Flush!


Slip F-18 Bahia Mar Marina! I was with a friend in Fort Lauderdale and as we were driving by the Bahia Mar Marina, I mentioned that Travis McGee kept his boat there, sadly less than a hour later, we heard that John D. McDonald had just died. :(
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12558
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: New now reading

Postby The Fish » 07 Jun 2020, 11:08

Sam Stone wrote:
Fonz wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Image

Whew!


I just finished his latest.

The first LA Quartet ( which you’re is part of) is great. Probably his best run.


I gave up on him after Blood's a Rover.

I just gave up on him because of that godawful repetitive short staccato style he'd adopted did my head in.

The short, staccato style. It did my head in. Short and staccato. My head was done in.

I remember reading somewhere that were something like only 47 commas in the whole of its 600-odd pages.

The earlier quartet - the one with American Tabloid - is magnificent though. As were some of his standalone books. A very, very strange man
if you've ever seen/read an interview with him


American Tabloid is part of the same trilogy as Blood's A Rover (along with The Cold SIx Thousand). Did you mean L.A Confidential ?
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3934
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: New now reading

Postby Fonz » 07 Jun 2020, 15:35

Flower wrote:
Fonz wrote:Travis McGee is cool. Busted Flush!


Slip F-18 Bahia Mar Marina! I was with a friend in Fort Lauderdale and as we were driving by the Bahia Mar Marina, I mentioned that Travis McGee kept his boat there, sadly less than a hour later, we heard that John D. McDonald had just died. :(



That is uncanny!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69202
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jun 2020, 15:53

Tracy Borman "Thomas Cromwell : The untold story of Henry VIII's most faithful servant"

Image
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32067
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: New now reading

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jul 2020, 16:57

Image

I finished this yesterday after being pretty gripped by it for a few weeks. Unlike my reaction to Roth's other main characters, I found myself increasingly disliking Sabbath - his utter self absorption, his disgust for emotional intimacy, the way any intimacy he did foster inevitably ended in grubby sperm events, his emotionless dissection of everyone who had tried to love him/ hadn't loved him, his empathy bypass, his endless cock gazing as though his penis had been his only friend. I got to the end of the book finding no redeeming features in him whatsoever. I was waiting to find some, to end on a high. That high didn't come.

Beautifully written, mind you!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead
Posts: 18268
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 20 Jul 2020, 10:35

Image

Just finished this, the first of the Bernard Samson series. On to number two!

Image
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead
Posts: 18268
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 02 Aug 2020, 15:08

Image

Just finished this in almost one sitting. The author describes music amazingly well.
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.