New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: New now reading

Postby Six String » 27 Mar 2020, 17:49

Wildwood - Roger Deakin

Great stuff even if you're not a tree hugger.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 30 Mar 2020, 20:22

Just finished.

An easy read, imparting a great deal of general information about bees in general, from how they (probably) originated, their societies - and lack of, there being as many solitary bee species as social, bee and flower co-evolution and so on. A good primer. If you're interested solely in the honey bee I'd reccomend Hattie Ellis: Sweetness & Light The Mysterious History of the Honey Bee which I read last year.

I now want to facilitate a bumble bee colony in my garden.

Next is

which will be my first Ruth Rendell.

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Mar 2020, 21:48

John aka Josh wrote:Image

Just finished.

An easy read, imparting a great deal of general information about bees in general, from how they (probably) originated, their societies - and lack of, there being as many solitary bee species as social, bee and flower co-evolution and so on. A good primer. If you're interested solely in the honey bee I'd reccomend Hattie Ellis: Sweetness & Light The Mysterious History of the Honey Bee which I read last year.

I now want to facilitate a bumble bee colony in my garden.

Next is

which will be my first Ruth Rendell.

I have a pollinator garden, so BUZZ is now on my reading list. I love Ruth Rendell but some of her later non Wexford books aren't my favorites. I hope that you enjoy the book, but if you don't, that you give her another try. :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Apr 2020, 20:45

Nina Sankovitch "American Rebels : How the Hancock, Adams, and Quincy Families Fanned the Flames of Revolution"

People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 05 Apr 2020, 21:02

Finished Ruth Rendell's Dark Corners. I didn't dislike it, however I didn't love it either. It was well written in that none of the sentences jarred, but the plot seemed to rely rather too much on coincidence and the characters weren't very well developed. Hasn't totally put me off, might try a Wexford next time - seems that's where she shone.

Also finished

which was predictably slight, served its purpose.

Am enjoying

very much. About a third of the way through, it's an interesting, and so far plausible account of a network created by the Celtic people of roads/paths and meeting places based on the movements of the Sun. He's arguing that they were fairly sophisticated land surveyors and may well have a point.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Apr 2020, 03:35

John aka Josh wrote:Also finished

which was predictably slight, served its purpose.

I've read two of that Hepworth series - they are all, uniformly, dire. Pure cut & paste jobs - something tossed off in a couple of weeks by a lazy journalist who manages to get actual facts entirely incorrect, let alone opinions that are wretchedly uninformed. I very much doubt Hepworth himself had fuck all to do with them - other than add his name and collect the cheques- or, if he did, he really should be exposed as the charlatan he is.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 07 Apr 2020, 07:30

I have just finished the three published volumes of Simon Callow's biography of Orson Welles. The second volume, Hello Americans, is by far the best, though all of them are fascinating and make for good reading. Callow is apparently working on the fourth volume now.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Apr 2020, 20:47

Finished

Which was interesting if rather speculative in places. Quite a few things to think about, such as the connections between the Greek world and the Celts, also his interpretation of the Boudiccan uprising.

Also just finished

which is excellent. A different world seen through different understandings; the USA before it became the USA. Enjoyed her style eventually, every chapter was written from a different character's pov, sometimes the same events but not always and not completely chronological either. A very real understanding of humanity, its motivations, weaknesses and strength.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Apr 2020, 20:58

I sneaked this in :

Which was actually remarkably prescient. There was a page which ran through a list of things that people would eventually believe were true.... the kind of things Jimbo chants like a dick.... it was incredibly 'on the ball''. I think this book was from 2002.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Apr 2020, 15:25

Still working but no pub, no sport = much more free time = lots of reading time.

Used to love Ludlum but probably haven’t read one for 30 years. Still excellent.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 11 Apr 2020, 20:31

Just finished

Which is good, though I'd have liked more about the Spartan society, which is my issue as that isn't the full remit of this book, though as the rise and fall of Spartan supremacy is so closely entwined with its values it would have been justified. It is a good account of the rise and fall with the emphasis on the religion, politics and personalities that influenced decisions.

Found the chapter on women and religion the most interesting, I hadn't realised how subjugated women were in the Greece of the time - the Spartans were relatively enlightened in that aspect.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 12 Apr 2020, 20:23

Extremely well written book.

I know it's been turned into a film which can't have been half as good as the book.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 15 Apr 2020, 20:49

Found the first fifth rather slightly irritating reading - it read like writing by numbers, the sort of dull text created by very competent children who have been trained to show fronted adverbials, relative clauses, a semi-colon and colon thrown in so that you can be credited and be granted writing at greater depth status. The hero seemed to have been created by a committee; physical flaw, unconventional childhood through which he emerged tough but tender-hearted, a man's man - and a lady's, all rather predictable.

And yet I stayed it out and ended up enjoying it, despite - or perhaps because of, it's self knowing ridiculousness.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Apr 2020, 20:55

Revisiting this behemoth of a novel on the French Revoluion as I can't go out and purchase any bloody books anywhere. Mantel's masterpiece, imo.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Apr 2020, 09:54

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Revisiting this behemoth of a novel on the French Revoluion as I can't go out and purchase any bloody books anywhere. Mantel's masterpiece, imo.

As I mentioned elsewhere my mother in law got me the Wolf Hall trilogy to pass the time sitting around in hospital. Having never read any Mantel I'm finding it pretty good. Although I am also finally getting around to reading:

It's a bit dry and academic for me tho.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 16 Apr 2020, 18:01

Deebank wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere my mother in law got me the Wolf Hall trilogy to pass the time sitting around in hospital. Having never read any Mantel I'm finding it pretty good. Although I am also finally getting around to reading:

Does it have lots of techy detail? Interested. I am a geek when it comes to music.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Apr 2020, 09:17

Fonz wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Does it have lots of techy detail? Interested. I am a geek when it comes to music.

To be honest I have only read a couple of chapters as yet but it looks like that sort of book.

I really need to know what sort of filters Don Buchla favoured in his early modules.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Apr 2020, 12:58

That’s the sort of thing that I find interesting!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 18 Apr 2020, 13:16

Fonz wrote:That’s the sort of thing that I find interesting!

Just after I got the book I found another more fun looking but similar subject matter book

Called something like Mars By 2000

Edit: actually Mars by 1980

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Apr 2020, 14:46

I just finished Jennifer Egan's "A Visit From The Goon Squad."
As enjoyable as it was, I've realised that books where each chapter is devoted to a character at different points in history means that by chapter 13, I have forgotten how I am supposed to know the character the chapter is about who was first discussed in chapter 2. The only way to solve this is to read the book in one sitting.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?