New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2019, 12:39

Raynor Winn "The Salt Path".

A remarkable true tale of a couple that literally lost everything (home, possessions the lot) at the same time as one of them was diagnosed with a life threatening illness.... Their answer... to 'wild backpack' around the 630 mile South West Coast Path in the UK!! Utterly compelling, heartbreaking yet incredibly redemptive. I can't put it down.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Aug 2019, 15:59

This biography of Andrew Carnegie is rather good, for the most part. I'm juggling it and some short works by James Ellroy:

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 21 Aug 2019, 04:03

It took a while, due to other ear related distractions, podcasts, etc., but I finished the last Bernie Gunther book - ever. It was a good one too. Described Weimar Berlin quite well. Not a good place to be a Jew.

Now, on to Ellroy's newest. I have heard no recommendations but it's Ellroy. Might be too dense to finish. It's long. I'll let you know.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Aug 2019, 09:39

I've read a few books recently, firstly:

Because it was cheap but it's actually pretty good. Bowie = lovely genius; Bolan = narcisistic pain in the arse (I may be putting words in his mouth)
Like a lot of these things though there is an extent to which it does verge into Partridge territory from time to time.

Just finishing:

Pretty good. Lots of interesting stuff about bands I like (Cope, Felt/Denim/GKM, E&TB, J&MC etc) and he's a decent writer although perhaps a little too impressed with the (often tedious IMO) KLF, K Foundation shenanigans (covered in a more entertaining way in John Higgs' book). Highly recommended nonetheless.

And by way of contrast:

Depressingly of its time sequel to The Rotters Club and The Closed Circle.
Coe is always worth checking out.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Aug 2019, 09:59

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

This biography of Andrew Carnegie is rather good, for the most part.

I once read a biography of him, written in about 1910.

What a tosser he was. I know he gave a lot of money away, libraries and all that, but Christ he ground his employees into the dust.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 21 Aug 2019, 10:34

A. Excuse me, but how do I get to Carnegie Hall?
B. Practice, practice, practice.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 22 Aug 2019, 11:35

Bring it on Home: Peter Grant by Mark Blake (sorry pic won't load)

Very readable and ultimately surprisingly sympathetic assessment of a hugely complex man. While a pivotal figure in rock who fought incredibly hard to get his acts their due, he was ultimately destroyed by the baser excesses his success enabled him to indulge. Although suitably chastened towards the end of his life, he never quite managed to make up for the unpleasant things he did while riding high.

Be careful what you wish for and all that!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Aug 2019, 18:17

Arrived fresh today - looks to be a fantastic release.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Aug 2019, 05:06

Positive Passion wrote:

What a tosser he was. I know he gave a lot of money away, libraries and all that, but Christ he ground his employees into the dust.

I think this is the first "modern" biography of his, so it's a more even-handed (which is to say critical) affair than older ones.

For what its worth, I have no particular interest in the subject person; I just like reading about how people lived in certain times and places if the story is well told.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Aug 2019, 22:03

Jimbo wrote:Image

It took a while, due to other ear related distractions, podcasts, etc., but I finished the last Bernie Gunther book - ever. It was a good one too. Described Weimar Berlin quite well. Not a good place to be a Jew.

Now, on to Ellroy's newest. I have heard no recommendations but it's Ellroy. Might be too dense to finish. It's long. I'll let you know.

This has gone under my radar. How’s it going? I’m a big Ellroy fan, though the thematic thesaurus thelodopia alliterative allegorical agrarian ag.., oh, whatever, became a trial.
In short, what’s the story?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Aug 2019, 22:05

Positive Passion wrote:

He looks like a cunt, judging by that picture.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Aug 2019, 23:35

Fonz wrote:

This has gone under my radar. How’s it going? I’m a big Ellroy fan, though the thematic thesaurus thelodopia alliterative allegorical agrarian ag.., oh, whatever, became a trial.
In short, what’s the story?[/quote]

If you love short sentences, so far, it's great. This is audio and I often fall asleep midstream and end up listening twice to a chapter and amazingly the second listen is much better. It'll take forever to finish. I didn't realize it would be a sequel from the previous Ellroy, Perfidiua, which is fine by me. It's violent and politically incorrect but I'm learning the history of wartime LA when there are Japs under every bed. It's Ellroy. I'm digging it just don't know if I can finish it.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Aug 2019, 13:05

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

I'm about two thirds through this - my, what a book!! Absolutely astonishing insight into the Irish Republican cause... the individuals within the movement....the disagreements and changes of policy... the interaction with the UK Government. Everything. It's an incredible read.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 27 Aug 2019, 21:54

Diamond Dog wrote:

I'm about two thirds through this - my, what a book!! Absolutely astonishing insight into the Irish Republican cause... the individuals within the movement....the disagreements and changes of policy... the interaction with the UK Government. Everything. It's an incredible read.

That sounds really good. Have you read many other books about the troubles or those from the Republican standpoint? If so, how does it compare? Being American, does he have a more dispassionate take on the time?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Aug 2019, 02:16

Been getting through quite a few. Finished this:

It took an age. I did enjoy it, but the attention to detail flitted between being thrilling and exhausting. The less interested I was in a character, the more I tuned out.

Then I read this:

Which was completely wonderful. I made a happy noise every time I opened it. It felt like a multi course astonishing meal where you keep getting something else just to see how much better food can get.

Then this:

Easily one of the best books I have ever read. The hapless accounts of how ill equipped the author is for the journey ahead are laugh out loud material. I urge you all to seek it out, and then call in sick and read it in a day. It's worth it.

What I am "now" reading is Michael Palin's Python diaries, a book I started reading a few years ago then stopped for some reason I can't imagine. It's just as great as I remembered. Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to it.

Actually, also reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, which is enjoyable, but I can't quite sink into yet.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Aug 2019, 19:27

rorebhoy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

That sounds really good. Have you read many other books about the troubles or those from the Republican standpoint? If so, how does it compare? Being American, does he have a more dispassionate take on the time?

Yes I have but this blows the top off of the IRA/Sinn Fein and some of the principal characters within the organisation - Gerry Adams, Bernard Hughes and the Price sisters (Dolours & Marian) to name a few heavyweights. It also goes into very deep personal detail about the actual involvement of those (and others) in actual operations and how they lived their life whilst being hounded by the RUC and Army. There's some absolute amazing information regarding the double/triple agents within the IRA and how they managed to stay undetected for so long. Also... whilst being highly cynical re Adams and his protestations of innocence, it also alludes to how he really was the guy that had the vision to bring peace (much as that may stick in peoples craws) from quite some time back.

Yes the author is, I think, absolutely clinical about the motives and actions of all individuals/organisations and tells the facts without bias.

It really was the most gripping book I've read in quite some time. It was revelatory in places you did and didn't expect it to be, and chilling in others (the detail around The Disappeared is utterly frightening. And the part that the British Govt paid in turning a blind eye to known murders and atrocities is equally so ). It also has a great deal of compassion too. A stunning read.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 29 Aug 2019, 19:40

Don Winslow - The Border. Last part of the trilogy starting with Power of the Dog, then The Cartel. I'm not one for fiction but there is something about Winslow that draws me in. This book is thinly veiled critique of US foreign policy and the corrupt nature of government, both sides of the border, and focusses on the present administration in the run up to the election victory and after. Names have been changed.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Aug 2019, 20:55

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 30 Aug 2019, 21:36

Diamond Dog wrote:
Yes I have but this blows the top off of the IRA/Sinn Fein and some of the principal characters within the organisation - Gerry Adams, Bernard Hughes and the Price sisters (Dolours & Marian) to name a few heavyweights. It also goes into very deep personal detail about the actual involvement of those (and others) in actual operations and how they lived their life whilst being hounded by the RUC and Army. There's some absolute amazing information regarding the double/triple agents within the IRA and how they managed to stay undetected for so long. Also... whilst being highly cynical re Adams and his protestations of innocence, it also alludes to how he really was the guy that had the vision to bring peace (much as that may stick in peoples craws) from quite some time back.

Yes the author is, I think, absolutely clinical about the motives and actions of all individuals/organisations and tells the facts without bias.

It really was the most gripping book I've read in quite some time. It was revelatory in places you did and didn't expect it to be, and chilling in others (the detail around The Disappeared is utterly frightening. And the part that the British Govt paid in turning a blind eye to known murders and atrocities is equally so ). It also has a great deal of compassion too. A stunning read.

Cheers DD!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Sep 2019, 09:48

^^^^

Pleasure! Only hope it doesn't disappoint now :)