New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2019, 13:45

Up next. Apparently it's a prequel to the Harry Flashman story. The reviews look pretty good so I'll give it a shot.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2019, 17:18

After finishing Portnoy’s Complaint last night I am vowing to take heed when I’m told that a book is ‘essential reading’- what an extraordinary work. Fabulous. I’ll never look at liver in the same way.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Feb 2019, 13:54

An extremely detailed account of how the major players oversaw the end of the Cold War - and how and why it happened. Great read so far.
"Not everyone is an artist but everyone is a fucking critic."
"A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on."
"On mellow blue, birds curve and glide, Through shadows of grief she slides,"

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Feb 2019, 14:00

I have just finished this :

"Together Alone - The Story Of The Finn Brothers" by Jeff Apter.

A strange book - there are a lot of really interesting revelations here (especially around the individual relationships between the two brothers (especially) but also the guys in the bands etc) but there are parts which just seem very rushed.

If you're a fan of the Finn's/Crowded House/Split Enz, you'll probably enjoy it (in parts). And it's possibly a good intro for the curious out there too.
"Not everyone is an artist but everyone is a fucking critic."
"A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on."
"On mellow blue, birds curve and glide, Through shadows of grief she slides,"

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Feb 2019, 08:15

Superb. It's always reassuring to recognize that you're in the hands of a master.

Next up: selected early works.

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Feb 2019, 09:07

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Feb 2019, 14:41

I’m halfway through The Gallows Pole by Ben Myers, another extraordinary book that I would recommend
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 22 Feb 2019, 15:28

Now We Shall Be Entirely Free, by Andrew Miller.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/now-we-shall-be-entirely-free-by-andrew-miller-inescapably-great-storytelling-1.3599575%3fmode=amp

a) I loved it
b) While reading it, I kept getting flashbacks to The North Water and The Prophets of Eternal Fjord, both of which I've bigged up here, and both of which are superior to this. But, well worth anyone's time.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Feb 2019, 14:43

The first Flashman do-over was so good I had to try the second in the series. Like the original Flashman the author inserts the character into actual historical events. The first one teamed Flashman up with navy commodore Thomas Cochrane supposedly the real life Lucky Jack Aubrey on his ship HMS Speedy in the Napoleonic war. This one takes our hero to India, during the second Mahratta war.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Feb 2019, 17:43

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Very good. Evokes St Malo well. If you’ve been you know how cool that place is.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Feb 2019, 13:38

^ Sure was an excellent book. I'm not convinced the timeline shifts were really necessary, it could've been told in a more linear way, but it's a beautifully written thing. Never been to St Malo, but I'd love to see it now.

Anyway, now onto:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Feb 2019, 14:01

Fonz wrote:

I read that one a few weeks ago, too, and yeah, I'd like to see St. Malo (although ideally before it had been bombed and shelled to bits).

Now onto:

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Feb 2019, 14:09

harvey k-tel wrote:
Fonz wrote:

I read that one a few weeks ago, too, and yeah, I'd like to see St. Malo (although ideally before it had been bombed and shelled to bits).

Now onto:

Incredibly, most of the walled town ‘seems’ authentic, and possibly as they were, pre-war.
One definitely feels as if one is walking around an old town, rather than a simulacrum.

Get yourself over there, before Armageddon!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Feb 2019, 17:44

Fonz wrote:
Get yourself over there, before Armageddon!

Thanks for the tip!

:)
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Feb 2019, 22:45

This is illuminating. It makes a case for Aboriginal agriculture being more advanced than has been credited by looking at archaeology and the writing of early explorers and such.
king of the divan

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Mar 2019, 09:37

Not exactly seasonal, and not exactly my kind of book. My wife is nearing completion of her first attempt at writing a novel, and wanted me to read one of her favourite books before reading hers, to compare and contrast.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 04 Mar 2019, 12:04

...and Feb's books:
an exhaustive (and exhausting) biog of Steely Dan - written by an uberfan happy to tell every facet of the recording process (typical quote 'when they examined the tape they found it had traces of a blob of mustard on it' etc.) without instilling much personality or love of the music into the book
Haven't seen the movie, but wondering how'd this would really stretch out into 90mins+. It was the first book I'd read by Baldwin, but will read more for sure. One strange thing about the book was an almost absence of time/setting - aside from reference to a Stevie Wonder record, this could've been set any time in the 20th century...maybe it was just me though
A bit of a missed opportunity this book - a guy who was there for so much pivotal music in the '60s and '70s, but delivers a rather anodyne tale as he rattles from one recording session to another (as a side note, he worked like hell for a long period of time...). A good editor would've worked wonders too.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 04 Mar 2019, 18:16

I've recently started reading again, having been through a prolonged drought.

I'm a big fan of Lahlum - Norwegian crime fiction, based in Oslo in the late 60s/early 70s, all featuring Inspector Kristiansen. His style is most definitely not Scandi-noir; rather, it's police procedural with a formal, almost old-fashioned tone. Well-plotted, set against the backdrop of contemporary Norwegian politics: in these two, the wider context is whether Norway will join the EU.

Now onto this bit of non-fiction, where the author searches out the Dutch Jewish woman who, as a child in WW2 ,was taken in by his grandparents.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Mar 2019, 13:52

On to book 3 in the series! If you are a Harry Flashman fan you will not be disappointed by the antics of his uncle, Thomas Flashman.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 10 Mar 2019, 21:42

So, this was inevitably harrowing reading, but absorbing and revealing as well. It's really three stories in one; the story of Lien herself, the wider story of Holland during and after WW2, and the experience of the author as he gets to know Lien now, and visits various key locations. I must admit that I'm guilty of thinking about Eastern and Central Europe when it comes to the Holocaust- forgetting about Western Europe, and I didn't know quite how brutal things were in Holland, and how scarred the country was in the years after the war.

It reminded me a bit of this, which I read a few years ago and which hooked me completely: about Operation Anthropoid and the assassination of Heydrich in Prague. The author of this also combines the history with his experience of writing the book.

Next is this, which has won all sort of plaudits.

echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.