Re: New now reading

Postby caramba » 16 Jul 2018, 10:12

Jimbo wrote:

Read that one, too. Fell a bit short of expectations, tbh

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 16 Jul 2018, 10:23

I like Ned Beauman's books; they're funny, clever and nicely ambitious without straying into "serious" literary fiction. The issue for me is that I wonder whether he's ever going to go further than complicated whimsy for want of a better description. He's extraordinarily talented and this seems a little like treading water.

caramba

Postby caramba » 16 Jul 2018, 10:35

All Out War by Tim Shipman

A very, very readable forensic examination of the clusterfuck that was (and sadly still is) 2016's EU referendum

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jul 2018, 11:07

Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote: This was written in 2002 - it's a collection of essays from 36 different sources, outlining the dissent to the Bush/Blair war in Afghanistan, following 9/11.

Very good choice DD. But I notice, however, not one of the writers whose name I recognoze, as progressive as they are, ventures into the anomalies of the actual 9/11 event. I have complained on progressive fora how the critical writings of the post-9/11 world begin just prior to - i.e., when the Patriot Act was written - and just after with the ridiculous invasion of Iraq. It's like to them everything that happened on the day of 9/11 happened as the 9/11 Commission said it had. Lies here. Lies there. But 9/11 happened as the same liars said it had. Did I not send you a David Ray Griffin book as a Secret Santa gift once?

I guess the authors have a right to decide the parameters/timescales of their book.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2018, 11:35

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 Jul 2018, 12:43

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Jul 2018, 01:14

I'd never read R. MacDonald before, and while enjoyable to a degree, I found this Archer mystery 1) overstuffed with minutely intricately related characters and 2) unusually densely plotted, even for the genre. I'm not sure anyone with a normal attention span is really going to be able process this all as intended without resorting to taking notes or something.

NR:

Trillin is reliably amusing, in the mode of an egghead Bill Bryson.

Next up, either JR by William Gaddis or My Struggle, Book 2 by Karl Ove Knaussgard (if I haven't already read it. Who can keep that stuff straight?)
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

joklend

Postby joklend » 21 Jul 2018, 18:26

I was reading this while actually crossing the Forth Bridge two days ago, amazing right?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Jul 2018, 21:03

joklend wrote:Image

I was reading this while actually crossing the Forth Bridge two days ago, amazing right?

That's one of Banks' more difficult books, I thought, and I seem to recall him saying it was his personal favourite of everything he wrote. Long time since I read it mind, I should really go through all of them again some time.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Jul 2018, 21:04

Jastreb_J21

Postby Jastreb_J21 » 28 Jul 2018, 09:28

RIght now I'm pretty bummed, because when I was reading the news for during breakfast, Google recommended me this article. Turns out the apartment my brothers and I are buying in Athens is located in a terrible place and that we got, pretty much, ripped off. :roll:

Sooooo I guess I'll go back to reading Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, it takes my mind off that crap while I'm digesting it. The antics of family relations in 50s/60s Italy puts any political thriller to shame.
Last edited by Jastreb_J21 on 16 Aug 2018, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 29 Jul 2018, 22:58

The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Jul 2018, 09:29

Crime thriller set in the bustling metropolis of Old Sawrey in the lake district. I wondered how it would capture the scenery and feeling of the lakes, and manage to create a convincing, gripping crime thriller. So far, I'm still wondering.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 01 Aug 2018, 00:31

Was:

It’s heady stuff, and not always easy to read. Basically what Soja does is interpret Marxism from a geographic, not historic, perspective – the politics of space. Anyone who chose geography over history at school will sympathize. He owes a lot to the “mystical Marxist” Henri Lefebvre, apparently – I want to read Lefebvre now. Also, it’s a good summation of the whole postmodernist “project”. The text of history is a narrative, and the text of geography is a map, and we need/use more of the latter in our increasingly simultaneous world. So there.

More imperilled cities… nobody takes the train in this one cause they’re already on it - and it's always late. I’ll read the next Christopher Priest soon – he’s very more-ish.

Am:

I’ve just started this and it looks promising. The deep sea diver is a professional dreamer who makes his living by bringing back stuff from his dreams which is highly prized as art. Where it’s all going I don’t know but the first chapter, an account of the diver’s heist of a jewellery store in the underwater world, was completely fucking fucked up. “In the dream life you need a rubber soul.”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Aug 2018, 12:13

Just into the last chapter of this :

A fascinating in depth analysis of the great film...... by our own Matthew Spektor (who used to post as either The Leviathan or The Electrician - I think?).

Great read if you love the film - it certainly opens up a few possibilities I've not previously considered.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 01 Aug 2018, 20:49

Diamond Dog wrote:Just into the last chapter of this :

A fascinating in depth analysis of the great film...... by our own Matthew Spektor (who used to post as either The Leviathan or The Electrician - I think?).

Great read if you love the film - it certainly opens up a few possibilities I've not previously considered.

The Electrician was Hugo that wrote the 33 1/3 book on Low.

Leviathan was Paul from Edinburgh.

i think
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Aug 2018, 20:50

Jeemo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Just into the last chapter of this :

The Electrician was Hugo that wrote the 33 1/3 book on Low.

Leviathan was Paul from Edinburgh.

i think

Yes I have the Low book... and I think you're right on The Leviathan too Jim!

So - who was Matthew Spektor on here?!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Aug 2018, 21:02

He was, apparently, m spektor!

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 01 Aug 2018, 22:35

He also wrote American Dream Machine (good) and the introduction to Eve Babitz's Slow Days, Fast Company. Good to see he has a new book out.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Aug 2018, 11:41

https://mma.napubcoonline.com/cgi-bin/m ... ------1---

This is brilliant!

NR- Trans Oceanic Trouser Press October 1977
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin