New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52612
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Feb 2018, 15:20

The Modernist wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Image

Quite enjoying this. At times it gets a bit swamped in detail, but he certainly knows his stuff. Maybe lacking a bit in the kind of insights a Reynolds or Savage would've bought to the table, but overall very good so far.


I've finished this now. If ever a book needed a good editor it was this; it was unclear to me what some of the chapters were even meant to be about. It needed a far firmer sense of purpose and clarity.

That's not very "psychedelic" of you. :x

I haven't had time for books; I'm too busy devouring political journalism.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 14843
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 08 Feb 2018, 04:25

Image

Cowboy adventure as I like it with grit, guts and gore.
Gadfly

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26931
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: New now reading

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Feb 2018, 05:21

Finally getting to this one, which pillowz recommended at least 5 years ago now:

Image

Undecided on the whole, but interesting story, certainly. His writing style can be a bit jumpy - varies between over and under-description - but there may be emotional reasons for that which are not yet evident. I'm curious to see where it goes, and I am hooked in.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8144
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: New now reading

Postby Pansy Puff » 08 Feb 2018, 06:37

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Remind me to not post pictures of book covers with editorially questionable blurbs on them.

For fuck's sake.

Quite funny to watch Copehead dance his dance, though:

"It says beer is distilled!"

"No, it says whiskey is distilled."

"Yes, I know, it's just a dreadful aphorism."

"It's not one of the aphorisms, it's just blurb."

"Yes, I know, it's bad writing!!"
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5130
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Feb 2018, 17:40

toomanyhatz wrote:Finally getting to this one, which pillowz recommended at least 5 years ago now:

Image

Undecided on the whole, but interesting story, certainly. His writing style can be a bit jumpy - varies between over and under-description - but there may be emotional reasons for that which are not yet evident. I'm curious to see where it goes, and I am hooked in.

I loved that book, I think it's probably Auster's best, though 4 3 2 1 was pretty magnificent. His writing on the subject of the fictional silent films is absolutely stunning. I do seem to have a thing for this kind of subject though, early 20th century entertainment such as music hall, silent cinema, etc, it seems to fascinate me in fiction. It's a bit odd, because I'm not particularly interested in the actuality of these things.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5130
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Feb 2018, 17:40

Not started yet, but it's next up:

Image
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26931
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: New now reading

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Feb 2018, 18:17

Darkness_Fish wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Image


His writing on the subject of the fictional silent films is absolutely stunning. I do seem to have a thing for this kind of subject though, early 20th century entertainment such as music hall, silent cinema, etc, it seems to fascinate me in fiction. It's a bit odd, because I'm not particularly interested in the actuality of these things.


His writing is so good that I don't quite buy the narrator's suggestion that he had never been interested in the subject before, but I also suspect that he might be a somewhat unreliable narrator. And, I'm assuming, part of "illusion" of the title is how and where he finds himself in whatever he's working on, in ways that aren't necessarily obvious to him, let alone the reader. It's just a little jarring at first to see him claim he knows very little about something and then write about it brilliantly.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 00:34

mission wrote:I didn't say it was good writing. In fact, I rather agree with you that it is poor writing.

I just said you should reread what Harvey wrote. He said the blurb was just blurb and had no pretensions toward the aphoristic.

You leapt, as is your way, to a conclusion about what Harvey was saying that was (a) incorrect and (b) actually designed to further your own specious, ill-advised and cranky arguments (again, as is your wont).

You did it again when you dismissed what I had to say. You imagined I was commenting on the literary quality of some shitty bumf and then used the fruit of your imagination against me.

There was nothing technically wrong with the blurb's alcoholic metaphor. It is a small piece of promotional writing, not a sample of or indication of the contents of the book itself.

You are more than welcome to literally judge a book by its cover, but don't imagine you can bluster over your mistakes with tales of your trip to a distillery (just the sort of appeal to authority or pretence at expertise dickrashes like you so love) when everyone who has paid attention realises you just fucked up a bit.

Over nothing of any importance.

Sail, as the man said, on.


I haven't really got a major issue with what Harvey said, I just disagree with him on it.

And I disagree with you as well; the alcohol metaphor is both hackneyed and confused and putting it on the front of a book of supposedly well turned aphorisms is therefore rather ill advised.

I don't think I actually made any mistakes, I had a subjective opinion about a poorly turned phrase.

I know you would dearly love me to fuck up but you are a colonial and I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English so it is unlikely to happen and even less likely that you would spot it if it did.

Keep hoping.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 00:35

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Remind me to not post pictures of book covers with editorially questionable blurbs on them.

For fuck's sake.


Will do.

Reading it just made me ridiculously agitated for some reason :(
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 00:43

K wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Remind me to not post pictures of book covers with editorially questionable blurbs on them.

For fuck's sake.

Quite funny to watch Copehead dance his dance, though:

"It says beer is distilled!"

"No, it says whiskey is distilled."

"Yes, I know, it's just a dreadful aphorism."

"It's not one of the aphorisms, it's just blurb."

"Yes, I know, it's bad writing!!"


Christ you can't read either.

Why are their so many people who can't follow a simple argument on a thread about the appreciation of literature?

You obviously have the comprehension skills of child if you think that is what I meant.

And for your information Beer is distilled, it is how you make Whisky.

It is like living amongst morons sometimes.

It is just a rather confused metaphor because I imagine they realised just a simple whisky/beer analogy would be hackneyed so they tried to gussy it up and just made you think "what the fuck are they doing that for?".

It was just poor writing, but I am not surprised that you didn't think so.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52612
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Feb 2018, 01:01

Copehead wrote:And for your information Beer is distilled, it is how you make Whisky.

Are you drunk? :)

Anyway, let's move on. Anybody read any good books lately?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
mission
Posts: 2162
Joined: 04 Apr 2008, 13:39

Re: New now reading

Postby mission » 09 Feb 2018, 01:52

Copehead wrote:Why are their so many people who can't follow a simple argument on a thread about the appreciation of literature?

You obviously have the comprehension skills of child if you think that is what I meant.

...


It is like living amongst morons sometimes.

.


Was that O for Oaf Level?

Please continue to squirm and dance about, you silly man. I especially like it when you impugn the intelligence and academic achievements of the people you argue with. Keep that up. It's working well for you.
Good.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22868
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: New now reading

Postby Deebank » 09 Feb 2018, 10:18

Got this after Chriistmas

Image

Very good.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 841
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: New now reading

Postby Robert » 09 Feb 2018, 11:20

Copehead wrote:
I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English



Copehead wrote:
Why are their so many people who can't follow a simple argument on a thread about the appreciation of literature?




:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Who did you blow to get your A in O?

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 11:23

Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:And for your information Beer is distilled, it is how you make Whisky.

Are you drunk? :)

Anyway, let's move on. Anybody read any good books lately?


Nope I am too busy informing people about how you make Whisky, seems people think it is pixie pee or something.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 11:26

mission wrote:
Copehead wrote:Why are their so many people who can't follow a simple argument on a thread about the appreciation of literature?

You obviously have the comprehension skills of child if you think that is what I meant.

...


It is like living amongst morons sometimes.

.


Was that O for Oaf Level?

Please continue to squirm and dance about, you silly man. I especially like it when you impugn the intelligence and academic achievements of the people you argue with. Keep that up. It's working well for you.


Oaf level! arf! You should be doing this professionally.

I only impugn the intelligence of people I am arguing with if they deserve it. You are either wilfully misunderstanding my point or too thick to understand it, I hope it is the former, that would make you an arsehole rather than a moron and arseholes are funny.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 11:27

Robert wrote:
Copehead wrote:
I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English



Copehead wrote:
Why are their so many people who can't follow a simple argument on a thread about the appreciation of literature?




:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Who did you blow to get your A in O?


That would have been illegal in 1981

Isn't an occasional typo to be expected when using a chat board or do you proof read all your dreary verbiage?
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 841
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: New now reading

Postby Robert » 09 Feb 2018, 11:52

Copehead wrote:
Robert wrote:
Copehead wrote:
I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English



Copehead wrote:
Why are their so many people who can't follow a simple argument on a thread about the appreciation of literature?




:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Who did you blow to get your A in O?


That would have been illegal in 1981

Isn't an occasional typo to be expected when using a chat board or do you proof read all your dreary verbiage?


I don't, but certainly would,if, like your superior self, I was trying to convince people of my own superior grasp of English.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 23640
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 13:20

Robert wrote:
I don't, but certainly would,if, like your superior self, I was trying to convince people of my own superior grasp of English.


And there in lies the difference between us; I am not hung up on making typos, I am hung up on tortured, rage inducing metaphors on the front covers of supposedly pithy, intellectual books.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 14843
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 09 Feb 2018, 13:31

Distilled Beer: New IPA Whiskey from Charbay

Image
Gadfly