New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: New now reading

Postby copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 18:23

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:I NEVER SAID IT WAS "INTELLECTUAL".

I know I did.

Would you say it isn't intellectual

I wouldn't call it intellectual, and I wouldn't say it's not intellectual. Would you call a painting "intellectual"?

Perhaps if it was a painting of Albert Einstein.

Doesn't seem that controversial to say some books are intellectual, perhaps highfalutin would be nearer the mark.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Feb 2018, 19:29

Copehead wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Copehead wrote:
I know I did.

Would you say it isn't intellectual

I wouldn't call it intellectual, and I wouldn't say it's not intellectual. Would you call a painting "intellectual"?

Doesn't seem that controversial to say some books are intellectual, perhaps highfalutin would be nearer the mark.

I have no problem with books being called intellectual - I just wouldn't use the term for the particular book under discussion.
I've seen the author referred to as a "literary artist", and, having read the book, I'd have no problem using that term to describe her.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Feb 2018, 20:54

Anyone reading a fucking book around here?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Feb 2018, 20:56

Nah. I've been put off 'em.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 09 Feb 2018, 21:31

K wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Anyone reading a fucking book around here?

I'm re-reading Ulysses. It's an incredible piece of work, startling in its scope. I've never read a book that mirrors thought more accurately.

I'm also bald.

It's OK, I suppose, but what do you make of its brewing and distilling content? Is it accurate?

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 09 Feb 2018, 21:31

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Feb 2018, 21:33

Ihave been reading Carrying the Fire, by Michael Collins, an absolutely brilliant read about his time as an astronaut. It is quite brilliant.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Feb 2018, 21:47

K wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Anyone reading a fucking book around here?

I'm re-reading Ulysses. It's an incredible piece of work, startling in its scope. I've never read a book that mirrors thought more accurately.

I'm also bald.

I have read Ulysses, but I must admit that I basically only finished it because I'd invested so much time and effort I thought I might as well get to the end. It didn't do much for me, but that might be because I don't think like an early 20th century Irish intellectual. I sometimes think about picking it up again, but I'm not sure I ever will.

I have little to offer on its alcohol or hair content.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Feb 2018, 22:50

Getting time to read this in amongst Ovidian studies.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Feb 2018, 23:25

What does Banana Republic even mean? It makes no sense.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 09 Feb 2018, 23:58

Camilla Grebe - The Ice Beneath Her

I love Nordic crime fiction, and Sweden's Camilla Grebe is becoming one of my favourites in the field. Previous books I've read by her were written in collaboration with her sister Åsa Träff, but this is her solo debut. It's the story of a Stockholm murder told from three perspectives, all three apparently unreliable. Peter is a doleful detective who listens to Morrissey and is trying to understand this baffling case. Hanne is a retired criminal profiler who takes on the case in an attempt to keep her mind fresh, as she's aware that she's starting to suffer from memory loss. The third part of the jigsaw is narrated by Emma a few months before the other two start their testimony. She was a working class woman who dated the principal suspect in the murder, a manipulative and misogynist businessman, and she is a strong candidate for being the victim of the murder. However, I suspect this is a deliberate red herring, as so far (150 pages into the book) the victim remains unidentified. Really compelling and psychologically convincing, this looks like another excellent chiller from this cold but fecund part of Europe.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 00:47

the masked man wrote:Image

I love Nordic crime fiction, and Sweden's Camilla Grebe is becoming one of my favourites in the field. Previous books I've read by her were written in collaboration with her sister Åsa Träff, but this is her solo debut. It's the story of a Stockholm murder told from three perspectives, all three apparently unreliable. Peter is a doleful detective who listens to Morrissey and is trying to understand this baffling case. Hanne is a retired criminal profiler who takes on the case in an attempt to keep her mind fresh, as she's aware that she's starting to suffer from memory loss. The third part of the jigsaw is narrated by Emma a few months before the other two start their testimony. She was a working class woman who dated the principal suspect in the murder, a manipulative and misogynist businessman, and she is a strong candidate for being the victim of the murder. However, I suspect this is a deliberate red herring, as so far (150 pages into the book) the victim remains unidentified. Really compelling and psychologically convincing, this looks like another excellent chiller from this cold but fecund part of Europe.

I have put it on my list. Tack!

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 10 Feb 2018, 09:56

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:

I have no problem with books being called intellectual - I just wouldn't use the term for the particular book under discussion.
I've seen the author referred to as a "literary artist", and, having read the book, I'd have no problem using that term to describe her.

OK, just looked a bit heavy going. Literary artist sounds good, highfalutin.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 10 Feb 2018, 10:54

nev harp wrote:What does Banana Republic even mean? It makes no sense.

A place which claims to be a republic but its economy is based on one cash crop exported by one multinational company who maintain their monopoly and their profits by bribing senior ministers but treating the plantation workers like slaves.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 15 Feb 2018, 23:53

quix wrote:
the masked man wrote:Image

I have put it on my list. Tack!

Hope you enjoy it. I personally loved how it ended. It was logical, but I did not see the big twists coming.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 17 Feb 2018, 00:25

I've read about 10 pages of Finnegan's Wake. About 5 times.
king of the divan

mission

Postby mission » 17 Feb 2018, 01:51

It's Finnegans Wake. To emphasise the pun - the Finnegans wake up, rather than just Finnegan's farewell funferal party.

And it is fucking hard to read. I would recommend something like this:

http://www.finnegansweb.com/wiki/index.php/Page_3

Or Joysprick by Burgess as a starter.
Goodness gracious me.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 17 Feb 2018, 03:29

mission wrote:It's Finnegans Wake. To emphasise the pun - the Finnegans wake up, rather than just Finnegan's farewell funferal party.

And it is fucking hard to read. I would recommend something like this:

http://www.finnegansweb.com/wiki/index.php/Page_3

Or Joysprick by Burgess as a starter.

I'll be sure to do an annotated read in my dotage. Meanwhile I'll continue with the Neapolitan Novels as they have resurrected in me the joy of reading fiction.
king of the divan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Feb 2018, 14:40

I finished Persuasion the other day and it was, by some distance, my favorite of the Jane Austens. Though I miss the sort of mathematical grammar from Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice.

Onward to Dickens!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Feb 2018, 14:48

Not read any Chandler so I thought I'd start with a bio first.

Return to “Nextdoorland”