New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: New now reading

Postby clive gash » 24 Aug 2017, 11:03

You need to read the books in their original, New English, vernacular.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Aug 2017, 22:17

I found this lying around somewhere (the book, not me). Never heard of the guy (assuming it's a guy). Mostly pretty good short stories in a sci-fi vein.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Aug 2017, 21:48

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 29 Aug 2017, 08:31

Worlds of Arthur - Guy Halsall

A book by an Historian debunking most of the pseudo-histories of King Arthur which are all based on around 5 extant manuscripts none of which were written as what we would call histories.

After doing that and going through the archaeology of the period and the, very tedious, textual analysis of stuff like Bede and the Historium Britannicaum ( spelling ) and Gildas he lays out some of his own ideas which are rather more interesting than the simple - there is no evidence of an historical Arthur.

Macsen Gwledig/Magnus Maximus was the same person as Vortigern, which isn't a name so much as a sobriquet.

There was no Saxon invasion of England in the mid 5th century

Britain wasn't cut off from the rest of Europe and was hit by the same societal disintegration of the rest of the NW Roman Empire after the retreat of the Roman state to Italy.

His theory is that that when Maximus left Britain to usurp the Empire he stripped Britain of most of its legions in order to do battle and these armies never returned.

Before he left he put in Place Saxon and Irish fedoratae to guard Britain at his rear .

As the years progressed and Roman reach fell back these people were left in place so when Roman control of Britain collapsed completely they were left in place.

There were obviously wars then between Britons and Saxons but these Saxons had already been in place in Britain for generations by that point and had been slowly increasing in number as kin migrated from NW Germany.

So there is no Hengist and Horsa and Saxon invasion fleets off the White Cliffs just Saxon Roman auxiliaries cut off during the retreat of Rome.

He points out that similar things happened else where - Merovingian Franks in the Loire valley, the Vandals meandering all the way through France and Spain until coming to rest in Tunisia.

It was just English historians seeing England as a special case and not seeing it in the wider post-Roman NW European setting.

And also people reading too much into a scant few texts that were written for political and religious reasons at the time without thought for posterity.

He is an expert on this period in a wider context and reevaluates the evidence in comparison to what was happening in Germania, Gaul and other Roman provinces rather than treating England/Britain as a unique case.

And what happened with the Saxons in England wasn't rare just given great significance because it was our national story

Anyway Deebank will love/hate it if it wasn't him that recommended it to me.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 30 Aug 2017, 10:56

I've managed to get hold of this at a reasonable price, which I'm very chuffed about:

Also got this on the go at the moment, which is rather good, a collection of Cthulhu Mythos stories:

Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Aug 2017, 18:06

Copehead wrote:Worlds of Arthur - Guy Halsall

A book by an Historian debunking most of the pseudo-histories of King Arthur which are all based on around 5 extant manuscripts none of which were written as what we would call histories.

After doing that and going through the archaeology of the period and the, very tedious, textual analysis of stuff like Bede and the Historium Britannicaum ( spelling ) and Gildas he lays out some of his own ideas which are rather more interesting than the simple - there is no evidence of an historical Arthur.

Macsen Gwledig/Magnus Maximus was the same person as Vortigern, which isn't a name so much as a sobriquet.

There was no Saxon invasion of England in the mid 5th century

Britain wasn't cut off from the rest of Europe and was hit by the same societal disintegration of the rest of the NW Roman Empire after the retreat of the Roman state to Italy.

His theory is that that when Maximus left Britain to usurp the Empire he stripped Britain of most of its legions in order to do battle and these armies never returned.

Before he left he put in Place Saxon and Irish fedoratae to guard Britain at his rear .

As the years progressed and Roman reach fell back these people were left in place so when Roman control of Britain collapsed completely they were left in place.

There were obviously wars then between Britons and Saxons but these Saxons had already been in place in Britain for generations by that point and had been slowly increasing in number as kin migrated from NW Germany.

So there is no Hengist and Horsa and Saxon invasion fleets off the White Cliffs just Saxon Roman auxiliaries cut off during the retreat of Rome.

He points out that similar things happened else where - Merovingian Franks in the Loire valley, the Vandals meandering all the way through France and Spain until coming to rest in Tunisia.

It was just English historians seeing England as a special case and not seeing it in the wider post-Roman NW European setting.

And also people reading too much into a scant few texts that were written for political and religious reasons at the time without thought for posterity.

He is an expert on this period in a wider context and reevaluates the evidence in comparison to what was happening in Germania, Gaul and other Roman provinces rather than treating England/Britain as a unique case.

And what happened with the Saxons in England wasn't rare just given great significance because it was our national story

Anyway Deebank will love/hate it if it wasn't him that recommended it to me.

Read it years ago bruv. If I didn't recommend it to you dad may have... and I gave it to him for his birthday, natch.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Sep 2017, 17:13

Running with the Devil

Absolutely fascinating chronicle of Van Halen by their disgruntled manager from '78 - '85. He dishes dirt aplenty. Basically, there's nothing here a fan hasn't already sussed out, but it's fun to have all of one's suspicions validated. Roth was an egomaniac almost unmatched in rock history, Edward is rather shy and complacent - content to concentrate on the music, Alex is a complete asshole - even going so far as to hit on the author's wife, and Michael Anthony was by far the nicest one and never had a bad word to say about anybody. For his troubles the other three cut him out of royalties in 1984. There are so many stories which were fun to read about. The Van Halen brothers were both alcoholics and the entire band (save perhaps Michael) abused coke religiously.

Anyway, highly entertaining and a must-read for VH fans.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-hale ... the-devil/

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Sep 2017, 09:18

I just started this last night, but the opening few pages haven't grabbed me. I'll give it a bit more time, but it hasn't leapt off the page in the way that Shadow of the Wind did.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 07 Sep 2017, 09:54

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Running with the Devil

Absolutely fascinating chronicle of Van Halen by their disgruntled manager from '78 - '85. He dishes dirt aplenty. Basically, there's nothing here a fan hasn't already sussed out, but it's fun to have all of one's suspicions validated. Roth was an egomaniac almost unmatched in rock history, Edward is rather shy and complacent - content to concentrate on the music, Alex is a complete asshole - even going so far as to hit on the author's wife, and Michael Anthony was by far the nicest one and never had a bad word to say about anybody. For his troubles the other three cut him out of royalties in 1984. There are so many stories which were fun to read about. The Van Halen brothers were both alcoholics and the entire band (save perhaps Michael) abused coke religiously.

Anyway, highly entertaining and a must-read for VH fans.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-hale ... the-devil/

Yo dude!

I'm reading this too.

Interesting...
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

joels344

Postby joels344 » 07 Sep 2017, 22:16

Well, here we go:

90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Sep 2017, 22:29

The main theme of this one seems to be that he's been treated unfairly by history and is not the redneck racist bully of his reputation.

So far so good - interesting semi-conversational writing style (in constant semi-detached reference to the context of the times) and obviously exhaustive research.

Too early in the book for me to judge how good a case he makes, but he's got my attention, at least...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Sep 2017, 00:39

About half way through this. Shows clearly just how debilitating the cold war mindset was for the CIA. Their determination to kick the Russians out of Afghanistan at any cost resulted in the giving a huge leg-up to a dangerous foe.

king of the divan

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Sep 2017, 09:19

joels344 wrote:Well, here we go:

The Zampano essay on The Navidson Record is a sublime piece of writing, the early description of the house subtly altering its dimensions is one of the eeriest pieces of literature I've encountered. The Johnny Truant narrative becomes a bit overcooked, in my opinion, and doesn't feel particularly convincing to me as it develops. Definitely an interesting, worthwhile novel though.

Incidentally, not a similar book at all, but if you find you've become a fan of writing about imaginary films, Paul Auster's Book of Illusions descriptions of non-existent silent films are even better than Danielewski's.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Sep 2017, 15:27

Rocking the dad lit. Violence is good, so long as it's bad guys gettin' whupped.

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Sep 2017, 00:01

I've been on a serious Jim Harrison fix lately.
The Big Seven
The Raw and The Cooked
A Really Big Lunch
Off To The Side
and in the batting circle
Legends Of The Fall
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2017, 00:14

Erskine Caldwell - Tobacco Road
Keith Morris - My Damage (Black Flag singer's memoir)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Sep 2017, 14:57

Six String wrote:I've been on a serious Jim Harrison fix lately.
The Big Seven
The Raw and The Cooked
A Really Big Lunch
Off To The Side
and in the batting circle
Legends Of The Fall

I just started 'Returning To Earth' last night! I really enjoy his writing.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Sep 2017, 20:31

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Sep 2017, 07:01

With Korea in the news lately the audio version of this caught my attention and half way through it is shaping up to be one of the best war movies I have ever heard. I didn't know much about the Korean War and now I know a little bit more. Told from a variety of perspectives, each chapter is a different POV. There are generals, captains, sergeants, grunts and the same from the Chinese side. Changing one's socks and changing them often was a big deal back then.
Question authority.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Sep 2017, 09:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Helped me get a low score on Pointless yesterday, cheers!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Return to “Nextdoorland”