New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: New now reading

Postby Count Machuki » 19 May 2010, 20:31

Nolamike wrote:
specbebop wrote:The remaining one of the big four (GR, IJ and Ulysses) is Delillo's Underworld.

I haven't ever managed GR. I have a friend who is a Pynchon fanatic and he struggled with Against The Day, didn't rate Inherent Vice, but would recommend all the others especially the entry points - Vineland and Lot 49.

Underworld is pretty fantastic - it does have some of the flaws inherent in ridiculously long novels (I guess these things are like double albums), but is well worth the read.

I also haven't gotten around to reading Gravity's Rainbow. :oops: Probably won't happen until my daughter is a bit older - it's hard enough these days working/parenting etc. to find time to read short stories, let alone sprawling, complex novels.

Thanks, guys. I also tried Proust, but only got about halfway through Swann's Way.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 May 2010, 20:59

Count Machuki wrote:Thanks, guys. I also tried Proust, but only got about halfway through Swann's Way.

That's better than I did. I got fucking fed up with him going on and on about how much he loved his mother. I mean, was it just me or did he not shut up about it?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 19 May 2010, 21:02

Snarfyguy wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Thanks, guys. I also tried Proust, but only got about halfway through Swann's Way.

That's better than I did. I got fucking fed up with him going on and on about how much he loved his mother. I mean, was it just me or did he not shut up about it?

Proust, or the Count?
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 May 2010, 21:05

Nolamike wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Proust, or the Count?

No, that was about how much I love your mother, man.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 19 May 2010, 21:07

Count Machuki wrote:
Nolamike wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:That's better than I did. I got fucking fed up with him going on and on about how much he loved his mother. I mean, was it just me or did he not shut up about it?

Proust, or the Count?

No, that was about how much I love your mother, man.

:roll: Anyway, let's get off mothers...

Because I just got off yours! :D

Oh, and I saw that you initially posted this under an alias. I'm WATCHING you, man!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 20 May 2010, 04:08

I finally found a decent copy of Waugh's Vile Bodies after looking around for one for a year or two. They should be a dime a dozen! Anyway, so far it's the most insane thing I've read by him yet.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 21 May 2010, 23:14

This is a fantastic book! Greil Marcus' account of the cultural background that informed The Basement Tapes is an utterly breathless, exciting page-turner. I'm not sure how all his theories about the traditional American musics that informed the album stack up, but the presence of an approving quote from Dylan himself on the cover suggests that Marcus has at the very least intuited Dylan's mindset at the time with a fair degree of accuracy.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 May 2010, 00:13

LeBaron wrote:I finally found a decent copy of Waugh's Vile Bodies after looking around for one for a year or two. They should be a dime a dozen! Anyway, so far it's the most insane thing I've read by him yet.

Oh yeah, that's a good one. That whole first batch is excellent.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Django

Postby Django » 22 May 2010, 21:52

Fantastic pulpy fun so far.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 22 May 2010, 23:57

Pretty damn great. I dunno - I haven't even read 'Moby Dick' but this had me hooked most of the way (it dipped for a couple of chapters once the Melville element expired). And who knew I could be that interested in whales?

And this, which I read on a 7 hour flight -

Which I couldn't put down. Any recommendations are welcome. Just an amazing story, and along with the book above ane also 'Moondust' make up 3 great non-fiction books that I have read recently.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 May 2010, 08:43

I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 23 May 2010, 08:53

Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 May 2010, 09:01

Just finished:

Engleby-Sebastian Faulks

Really enjoyed this albeit with some reservations but I've heard it's very different to all of his other books. Any readers here know if his other books are worth a look?
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 23 May 2010, 09:09

Carl's Son wrote:Engleby-Sebastian Faulks

Really enjoyed this albeit with some reservations but I've heard it's very different to all of his other books. Any readers here know if his other books are worth a look?

The French trilogy was very good:

The Girl at the Lion d'Or
Birdsong
Charlotte Gray

And I also enjoyed 'A Week in December'.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Witchypoo
Politically radical Nazgul

Postby Witchypoo » 23 May 2010, 10:30

Then Mick asked 'Would it make me a class traitor if I banged Thatcher?'

Django

Postby Django » 23 May 2010, 11:26

specbebop wrote:
Django wrote:Now reading:

I've not read that. I recently read, and greatly enjoyed, Kavalier and Clay. And Wonder Boys is a modern classic.

Kavalier and Clay is my favourite discovery of recent years. I've greatly enjoyed everything I have read by Chabon, with the exception of The Yiddish Policeman's Union, which didn't really work. Promising to be a literary detective novel, it didn't really satisfy on either level.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 23 May 2010, 11:31

the masked man wrote:Image

This is a fantastic book! Greil Marcus' account of the cultural background that informed The Basement Tapes is an utterly breathless, exciting page-turner. I'm not sure how all his theories about the traditional American musics that informed the album stack up, but the presence of an approving quote from Dylan himself on the cover suggests that Marcus has at the very least intuited Dylan's mindset at the time with a fair degree of accuracy.

That's one way of looking at it. I found it largely impenetrable (although I was gasping at the opening "In 1965 a man stood at the crossroads..." passage) and gave up on it in the end. Maybe I should give it another go - I've often thought that owning a copy of the complete A Tree With Roots bootleg must surely help to make sense of it all and I do indeed have a copy these days.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 23 May 2010, 13:21

The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 May 2010, 13:28

Re-reading. My copy is old enough to have the original ending which I believe MM modified in later years as he felt it seemed a bit too much like glorifying rape. It's been a while so I'll see what I think when I get to that bit.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 23 May 2010, 17:50

the hanging monkey wrote:Image

I was told to go read The Apology yesterday, as it was described to be one of the more accessible works. I hope I get around to it. I think I have read the abridged, summary version of it at some point but memory fails me.

For now, I am reading a novel my friend from university in Singapore wrote (published by Penguin India, it was in the top ten bestsellers!)

It's bloody brilliant, and since I know him, the first-person narrative sounds like the way he speaks; sarcastic, witty, and a little twisted. Not to mention it explores the theme of anarchy, very risque for an author based in Singapore, working as a banker!

It's also going to be turned into a film, for which he's already working on the screenplay. Mind you, he's only a year older than me. *turns many shades of green*
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]