copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: New now reading

Postby copehead » 25 Jun 2018, 21:40

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Wasn't that the point of the book?

It was the failure that made them? Ditching Justine and giving Butler free rein?

On a similar note I've been listening to Dog Man Star a bit lately - the end of side two is a staggering work of genius :lol:

Have you heard their last album - it is a real return to form?

I got the point about Freischman leaving giving them space but got little sense of the relationship of Butler and Anderson that her leaving allowed to flourish, he seemed far closer to Osman, obviously.

Brett’s only recollection of Richard Osman was good.
Apparently he stormed into the room and announced “The sixties were shit!” :lol:

I'm sending you down a linen suit to try on, if it doesn't fit ebay it, it cost me about £400 nicker
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jun 2018, 04:32

Copehead wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Meanwhile, back in "Now Reading".....

We are talking about books we are readig
And teh are about music as well

What more do you want/1111!!!!@@

I've had a Negroni and I am watching the Manics at the Osle of Wight festival

They are fab

Sorry for the spelling msralee x

:lol: :lol:

(awaits some twat posting "Meanwhile back in "Now Reading"")
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Jun 2018, 20:52

I’m reading Cosey Fanni Tutti’s memoirs now.

It seems Orridge was/is a colossal twat. Perhaps I should wait to read his side of the story before drawing too many conclusions, but it all rings true.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Jun 2018, 21:43

Deebank wrote:I’m reading Cosey Fanni Tutti’s memoirs now.

It seems Orridge was/is a colossal twat. Perhaps I should wait to read his side of the story before drawing too many conclusions, but it all rings true.

I've still not picked up a copy of that yet, which is a massive oversight. Funnily enough, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone speak particularly positively about GPO, he seems to annoy everyone he worked with, though I know his behaviour according to that book goes well beyond the borders of 'being annoying'. Still, when you read what the likes of Coum Transmissions were doing as performance art, and the balls you'd have to have to be doing what Throbbing Gristle did, at a time when punk was still controversial, I kinda figured they all would've been at least fairly twattish.

On the other hand, if you've ever watched any of GPO's interviews on youtube, he normally comes across really quite well, for all that he's a shyster and a bullshitter. He's certainly got a bit of charisma and intelligence, even if he looks like a bad Leslie Ash drag-tribute act.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

joklend

Postby joklend » 01 Jul 2018, 11:17

I had a quick flick through that in Waterstones, mostly looking for the bits about Coil. I might have to buy it if it's scandalously revealling.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Jul 2018, 11:26

Flitting between this and the West Side Story book.... this is a really excellent explanation and illustration of how Graphic Design embraced the modernism culture.... it's great to see many familiar images .

I'm sure John Coan would enjoy this!
Cocaine

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Jul 2018, 11:36

The word used most often in Cosey’s book about Orridge - from a number of different people as well as CFT - is manipulative. He certainly controlled Cosey. It’s depressing reading about these liberated free anarchistic (cult like) groups... groups where the women inevitably do all the domestic work and cooking as well as holding down jobs to support their lazy feckless male partners.

The Manson comparisons are apt I think.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Jul 2018, 11:39

joklend wrote:I had a quick flick through that in Waterstones, mostly looking for the bits about Coil. I might have to buy it if it's scandalously revealling.

There’s a lot of stuff about CFT’s modelling and p**n work and stuff about that side of publishing in the 70s

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 01 Jul 2018, 12:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

Flitting between this and the West Side Story book.... this is a really excellent explanation and illustration of how Graphic Design embraced the modernism culture.... it's great to see many familiar images .

Fuck yeah! I'll have a look....thanks
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2018, 13:32

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

As would I. I'd like to read it, especially if it covers Raymond Loewy in depth.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Jul 2018, 22:03

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jul 2018, 21:23

Just finished this one. Difficult to view it as an entity in its own right, give that I'm viewing it through the prism of Miller's Crossing, probably the one film I've seen more than any other, which takes this as its base. The plot's slightly different, but the dialogue, the tone, the brilliantly dark comic-noir, it's all sourced from this effortlessly cool prose. Loved it, I have to say, which is a surprise, as the last Hammett I read, The Dain Curse was really quite underwhelming.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jul 2018, 06:08

This was written in 2002 - it's a collection of essays from 36 different sources, outlining the dissent to the Bush/Blair war in Afghanistan, following 9/11.

It's very interesting reading how so many expressed their fear that it was only the start of a pre-determined war in Iraq etc... the knowledge was there, and there certainly appears to be plenty enough evidence to suggest it was a given, no matter what happened in Afghanistan. There also seems to be pretty strong evidence that that the Pakistani Govt had brokered a deal to have Bin Laden arrested (which he had apparently agreed to) as long as he was tried in an 'impartial' court (in - not American) - a deal the USA scuppered immediately. When you think this was in 2002... it certainly makes you wonder.

There are also many contributions warning that something like IS was an inevitability of the wars. Also that there wre some pretty shady happenings leading up to 9/11 which certainly cast a shadow over the 'surprise/shock' of the Bush Administration at the time.
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Jul 2018, 09:28

sounds interesting. the design choice on that front cover is a bit strange - are some names highlighted in yellow just because they are a bit more famous?!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jul 2018, 10:00

Geezee wrote:sounds interesting. the design choice on that front cover is a bit strange - are some names highlighted in yellow just because they are a bit more famous?!

I did think something along those lines myself! :lol:
Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jul 2018, 04:36

Diamond Dog wrote: This was written in 2002 - it's a collection of essays from 36 different sources, outlining the dissent to the Bush/Blair war in Afghanistan, following 9/11.

Very good choice DD. But I notice, however, not one of the writers whose name I recognoze, as progressive as they are, ventures into the anomalies of the actual 9/11 event. I have complained on progressive fora how the critical writings of the post-9/11 world begin just prior to - i.e., when the Patriot Act was written - and just after with the ridiculous invasion of Iraq. It's like to them everything that happened on the day of 9/11 happened as the 9/11 Commission said it had. Lies here. Lies there. But 9/11 happened as the same liars said it had. Did I not send you a David Ray Griffin book as a Secret Santa gift once?

Anyway, I just began a WWII memoir of a German soldier on the Russian front.

Last edited by Jimbo on 16 Jul 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jul 2018, 08:56

Question authority.

`

Postby ` » 16 Jul 2018, 10:12

Jimbo wrote:

Read that one, too. Fell a bit short of expectations, tbh

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Jul 2018, 10:23

I like Ned Beauman's books; they're funny, clever and nicely ambitious without straying into "serious" literary fiction. The issue for me is that I wonder whether he's ever going to go further than complicated whimsy for want of a better description. He's extraordinarily talented and this seems a little like treading water.

`

Postby ` » 16 Jul 2018, 10:35

All Out War by Tim Shipman

A very, very readable forensic examination of the clusterfuck that was (and sadly still is) 2016's EU referendum

Return to “Nextdoorland”