New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Spock!

Re: New now reading

Postby Spock! » 25 Nov 2016, 21:41

fange wrote:Image

S. C. Gwynne - "Empire of the Summer Moon"

About half way through, and I absolutely love it. Fascinating stuff, and immensely readable.

Great book, read it a couple of years ago. Fully agree with your assessment.

Think you'll also enjoy this;

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Nov 2016, 23:57

Looks good!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Nov 2016, 22:01

Just started this as my downstairs, read-while-other-stuff-is-happening book:

And also just started my upstairs proper reading novel:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Robert

Postby Robert » 28 Nov 2016, 14:31

I am only 50 pages in, but it's a gripping and beautifully written book starting in 15th Century America all the way to the end of the 20th Century
( and a bit further) in just 350 pages.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 05 Dec 2016, 16:42

I'm currently reading this again, not having done so for a couple of decades.
It's the type of thing you dip into, rather than read as a whole.

as is this, which I'm also reading, alongside the above.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Dec 2016, 20:22

Gave up on the Eco, it was just not holding my attention at all. Now onto this desperation purchase at the local village Christmas markets this weekend. Not promising so far.

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 05 Dec 2016, 20:28

Darkness_Fish wrote:Gave up on the Eco, it was just not holding my attention at all. Now onto this desperation purchase at the local village Christmas markets this weekend. Not promising so far.

I just grabbed Annihilation.
a gibbon running freely

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Dec 2016, 20:30

Velvis wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Gave up on the Eco, it was just not holding my attention at all. Now onto this desperation purchase at the local village Christmas markets this weekend. Not promising so far.

Have you ever read anything by him before? I only discovered today that Finch is the 3rd in a series, and given the odd concept, it supposedly helps a lot to have read the first two.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Dec 2016, 20:45

Grace Jones - 'I'll Never Write My Memoirs'

It's pretty funny in places, and there's some excellent namedropping.

She gets rather 'I am Grace Jones darling, I follow my own path, I'm a rebel' at times - well, a lot - but she's very self deprecating too and I love the fuck out of her so I can forgive her a lot.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Dec 2016, 20:47

Darkness_Fish wrote:Gave up on the Eco, it was just not holding my attention at all.

Yeah, I quite liked the two novels that preceded that one, but though I tried two or three times, I just could not read it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 05 Dec 2016, 20:58

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Velvis wrote:

Have you ever read anything by him before? I only discovered today that Finch is the 3rd in a series, and given the odd concept, it supposedly helps a lot to have read the first two.

Never read him before. But the word has been good on the Southern Reach trilogy for a couple years now.
a gibbon running freely

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Dec 2016, 13:15

Velvis wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
Velvis wrote:

Never read him before. But the word has been good on the Southern Reach trilogy for a couple years now.

I finished this last night. It was hard going at first, I haven't read much sci-fi for years, and I found the setting and different classes of being (human/strange-mushroom overlords/half n half) really quite off-putting. At it's heart though, it's just a hard-boiled detective-noir set in a dystopian future, with three or four different tribes of people trying to survive and dominate. The language and imagery is superb, I just wish there'd have been a bit more depth to some of the characters (I seem to be reading a lot of male writers who have no idea that females have personality and character too), and a bit less fungus.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 13 Dec 2016, 13:18

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Dec 2016, 10:23

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 22 Dec 2016, 12:09

Well, now. That was monumentally fucking brutal. Men in a dying industry driving themselves beyond any reasonable limit of pain and endurance to stave off poverty for one more year. And doing beastly things to one another along the way. And yet all but one have some kind of ethical grounding, however deeply buried or debased. So despite all their resourcefulness and cunning, they are utterly helpless at the hands of the harpooner, a figure of pure malevolence who simply seizes what he needs, entirely free of compunction. Something between the Nietzchean antihero of The Sea-Wolf and Cormac McCarthy's implacable doom-dealers. This is not as good a novel as any of those, but it is horribly gripping and written with a beautiful economy.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Dec 2016, 14:15

Wonderful stuff. Brilliant wordplay.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Dec 2016, 15:08

Just finished this, book 10 and probably the last of the series. Man that was good audio book listening!

Next up is this.

Question authority.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Dec 2016, 15:14

"Black Elk Speaks"

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 22 Dec 2016, 15:23

northernsky wrote:Image

Well, now. That was monumentally fucking brutal. Men in a dying industry driving themselves beyond any reasonable limit of pain and endurance to stave off poverty for one more year. And doing beastly things to one another along the way. And yet all but one have some kind of ethical grounding, however deeply buried or debased. So despite all their resourcefulness and cunning, they are utterly helpless at the hands of the harpooner, a figure of pure malevolence who simply seizes what he needs, entirely free of compunction. Something between the Nietzchean antihero of The Sea-Wolf and Cormac McCarthy's implacable doom-dealers. This is not as good a novel as any of those, but it is horribly gripping and written with a beautiful economy.

Next on my list.
a gibbon running freely

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 22 Dec 2016, 22:18

I was hoping to love this book but merely enjoyed it – but enough to order her next one, Slow Days, Fast Company. I thought I recognized Gram Parsons (she changes some names) and a quick web search seemed to corroborate this.

In my case however it’s Slow Days, Even Slower Parcel Company so in the meantime I read:

It has three sections: Mosque, Caves, Temple. Christianity is playing away from home here, and in an unlit cave echoes take the place of shadows and the G&T crowd from the Club mistakes these echoes for acts, of a devious nature – like the old biddy complaining about the builders whistling a dirty song – and in an outbreak of collective hysteria fastens on the occurrence as an opportunity to vindicate their own racial prejudices.

Still no Eve, so I’m now kicking off with

Return to “Nextdoorland”