New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Re: New now reading

Postby Earl E. Eel » 01 Jul 2018, 12:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

Flitting between this and the West Side Story book.... this is a really excellent explanation and illustration of how Graphic Design embraced the modernism culture.... it's great to see many familiar images .

I'm sure John Coan would enjoy this!

Fuck yeah! I'll have a look....thanks
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2018, 13:32

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

Flitting between this and the West Side Story book.... this is a really excellent explanation and illustration of how Graphic Design embraced the modernism culture.... it's great to see many familiar images .

I'm sure John Coan would enjoy this!

As would I. I'd like to read it, especially if it covers Raymond Loewy in depth.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Jul 2018, 22:03

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jul 2018, 21:23

Just finished this one. Difficult to view it as an entity in its own right, give that I'm viewing it through the prism of Miller's Crossing, probably the one film I've seen more than any other, which takes this as its base. The plot's slightly different, but the dialogue, the tone, the brilliantly dark comic-noir, it's all sourced from this effortlessly cool prose. Loved it, I have to say, which is a surprise, as the last Hammett I read, The Dain Curse was really quite underwhelming.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jul 2018, 06:08

This was written in 2002 - it's a collection of essays from 36 different sources, outlining the dissent to the Bush/Blair war in Afghanistan, following 9/11.

It's very interesting reading how so many expressed their fear that it was only the start of a pre-determined war in Iraq etc... the knowledge was there, and there certainly appears to be plenty enough evidence to suggest it was a given, no matter what happened in Afghanistan. There also seems to be pretty strong evidence that that the Pakistani Govt had brokered a deal to have Bin Laden arrested (which he had apparently agreed to) as long as he was tried in an 'impartial' court (in - not American) - a deal the USA scuppered immediately. When you think this was in 2002... it certainly makes you wonder.

There are also many contributions warning that something like IS was an inevitability of the wars. Also that there wre some pretty shady happenings leading up to 9/11 which certainly cast a shadow over the 'surprise/shock' of the Bush Administration at the time.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Jul 2018, 09:28

sounds interesting. the design choice on that front cover is a bit strange - are some names highlighted in yellow just because they are a bit more famous?!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jul 2018, 10:00

Geezee wrote:sounds interesting. the design choice on that front cover is a bit strange - are some names highlighted in yellow just because they are a bit more famous?!

I did think something along those lines myself! :lol:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jul 2018, 04:36

Diamond Dog wrote: This was written in 2002 - it's a collection of essays from 36 different sources, outlining the dissent to the Bush/Blair war in Afghanistan, following 9/11.

Very good choice DD. But I notice, however, not one of the writers whose name I recognoze, as progressive as they are, ventures into the anomalies of the actual 9/11 event. I have complained on progressive fora how the critical writings of the post-9/11 world begin just prior to - i.e., when the Patriot Act was written - and just after with the ridiculous invasion of Iraq. It's like to them everything that happened on the day of 9/11 happened as the 9/11 Commission said it had. Lies here. Lies there. But 9/11 happened as the same liars said it had. Did I not send you a David Ray Griffin book as a Secret Santa gift once?

Anyway, I just began a WWII memoir of a German soldier on the Russian front.

Last edited by Jimbo on 16 Jul 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jul 2018, 08:56

Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

caramba

Postby caramba » 16 Jul 2018, 10:12

Jimbo wrote:

Read that one, too. Fell a bit short of expectations, tbh

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 16 Jul 2018, 10:23

I like Ned Beauman's books; they're funny, clever and nicely ambitious without straying into "serious" literary fiction. The issue for me is that I wonder whether he's ever going to go further than complicated whimsy for want of a better description. He's extraordinarily talented and this seems a little like treading water.

caramba

Postby caramba » 16 Jul 2018, 10:35

All Out War by Tim Shipman

A very, very readable forensic examination of the clusterfuck that was (and sadly still is) 2016's EU referendum

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jul 2018, 11:07

Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote: This was written in 2002 - it's a collection of essays from 36 different sources, outlining the dissent to the Bush/Blair war in Afghanistan, following 9/11.

Very good choice DD. But I notice, however, not one of the writers whose name I recognoze, as progressive as they are, ventures into the anomalies of the actual 9/11 event. I have complained on progressive fora how the critical writings of the post-9/11 world begin just prior to - i.e., when the Patriot Act was written - and just after with the ridiculous invasion of Iraq. It's like to them everything that happened on the day of 9/11 happened as the 9/11 Commission said it had. Lies here. Lies there. But 9/11 happened as the same liars said it had. Did I not send you a David Ray Griffin book as a Secret Santa gift once?

I guess the authors have a right to decide the parameters/timescales of their book.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2018, 11:35

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 Jul 2018, 12:43

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Jul 2018, 01:14

I'd never read R. MacDonald before, and while enjoyable to a degree, I found this Archer mystery 1) overstuffed with minutely intricately related characters and 2) unusually densely plotted, even for the genre. I'm not sure anyone with a normal attention span is really going to be able process this all as intended without resorting to taking notes or something.

NR:

Trillin is reliably amusing, in the mode of an egghead Bill Bryson.

Next up, either JR by William Gaddis or My Struggle, Book 2 by Karl Ove Knaussgard (if I haven't already read it. Who can keep that stuff straight?)
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

joklend

Postby joklend » 21 Jul 2018, 18:26

I was reading this while actually crossing the Forth Bridge two days ago, amazing right?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Jul 2018, 21:03

joklend wrote:Image

I was reading this while actually crossing the Forth Bridge two days ago, amazing right?

That's one of Banks' more difficult books, I thought, and I seem to recall him saying it was his personal favourite of everything he wrote. Long time since I read it mind, I should really go through all of them again some time.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Jul 2018, 21:04

Jastreb_J21

Postby Jastreb_J21 » 28 Jul 2018, 09:28

RIght now I'm pretty bummed, because when I was reading the news for during breakfast, Google recommended me this article. Turns out the apartment my brothers and I are buying in Athens is located in a terrible place and that we got, pretty much, ripped off. :roll:

Sooooo I guess I'll go back to reading Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, it takes my mind off that crap while I'm digesting it. The antics of family relations in 50s/60s Italy puts any political thriller to shame.
Last edited by Jastreb_J21 on 16 Aug 2018, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.