New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Robert

Re: New now reading

Postby Robert » 03 Jan 2017, 15:30

Sorry couldn't make it any smaller. Only 30 pages in but a great story about a real person - Joe Gould- who had the ambition to write an oral history of the common people by writing down everything anybody ever told him at any given moment. Gould was made famous by a New Yorker journalist who wrote two fantastic essays about the man but started to doubt whether the manuscript of 90.000.000 words actually existed. Jill Lepore explores in this book if it did or not.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 03 Jan 2017, 21:55

Now reading Fun Home by Alison Bechdel.
a gibbon running freely

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Jan 2017, 17:42

Phil T wrote:I'm currently reading this again, not having done so for a couple of decades.
It's the type of thing you dip into, rather than read as a whole.

as is this, which I'm also reading, alongside the above.

Planning on invading Poland?
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Jan 2017, 13:31

So far fantastic!
I love you.

Robert

Postby Robert » 12 Jan 2017, 16:02

Joe Gould's teeth was good but not extraordinary. This one promises to be a life changing event according to the introduction:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Jan 2017, 20:20

Robert wrote:Joe Gould's teeth was good but not extraordinary. This one promises to be a life changing event according to the introduction:

I have that on my shelf and I've always meant to get to it. Do let us know what you make of it.
Jimbo wrote: And if there is war with Russia, a lot of people will die, maybe the east coast will vanish, but still and all, shit will work out.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jan 2017, 20:26

The Zinn is pretty dry reading. And for a would-be-centrist like myself (mind you, the complete kookiness of the far right pushes me further and further to the left) it's a bit strident.

That said, as revisionist tomes go, it has an admirable consistency and adherence to its own worldview.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jan 2017, 20:39

Meanwhile, I've just finished this fun piece of New England Goth. I love Jackson - she's quite good at revealing the inner workings of her characters by what they don't reveal.

Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 12 Jan 2017, 22:37

Still Baron wrote:
echolalia wrote:Image

I was hoping to love this book but merely enjoyed it – but enough to order her next one, Slow Days, Fast Company. I thought I recognized Gram Parsons (she changes some names) and a quick web search seemed to corroborate this.

I had the same view, basically. I've just started Slow Days. Erstwhile BCBer mspecktor wrote the introduction to Slow Days and had suggested to me that it is the better book. A (short) chapter or two in and I'm hopeful.

The introduction is very good – I didn’t make the connection with mspecktor, so thanks. He says something about Babitz being wise, which occurred to me while reading Eve’s Hollywood. I’m a bit suspicious of this though, as there may be subconscious archetypes at work. And even allowing that she’s “wise”, that doesn’t necessarily make it interesting. But as mspecktor also mentions Slow Days, Fast Company has got perceptiveness on top of the wisdom – it’s definitely the better book of the two. Not everyone survives, like the tragico-irrelevant housewife in Emerald Bay, an account of a creepy gated community where originality is frowned upon and creativity is bundled off the premises, and political protest would probably be shot dead but Babitz never goes there, as she’s completely in tune with the local ecology. She celebrates the vegetation and loves the smog. And she has a wonderful eye for nuanced, smudgy colours like turquoise and peach. I could definitely read more – maybe I’ll try Black Swans next.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 13 Jan 2017, 14:32

Further reading as part of my course. Quite readable if you have a basic knowledge of Roman history.

jl

Postby jl » 14 Jan 2017, 09:18

I might finally get a chance to start reading for pleasure again this week, and John le Carré's 'Absolute Friends' is next on the shelf. I'm trying to make a sustained effort to get through 21st C novels this year as I always feel severely under-read with them.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jan 2017, 11:49

Private dick investigating mysteries via resolutely over-boiled noir prose. Loving it.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2017, 12:09

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Private dick investigating mysteries via resolutely over-boiled noir prose. Loving it.

Crumly is tops in my book! I've read them all but there aren't too many.
I love you.

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2017, 12:22

The Men’s Club by Leonard Michaels review – 152 pages of escalating stupidity

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... els-review
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I'd never resort to bombs - but I'm not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2017, 12:29

Also, when tripping balls, this

And curiosity called, so I caved and bought this

Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I'd never resort to bombs - but I'm not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

jl

Postby jl » 17 Jan 2017, 05:06

clive gash wrote:And curiosity called, so I caved and bought this

The hype over that is justified. So many clever little threads run through it.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jan 2017, 12:17

'Wicked Beyond Belief'
Michael Bilton

An account of the Yorkshire Ripper hunt.

Too graphic in places. I don't need to know everything about how those poor women were defiled. But, as a bit of local ( I was born and bred in Halifax, a quarter of a mile away from one of the murders) history it is very interesting. Though I was young when it was all going on I have very clear memories of the news reports, and general level of fearfulness that pervaded the (women) folk at the time.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Robert

Postby Robert » 19 Jan 2017, 14:45

toomanyhatz wrote:The Zinn is pretty dry reading. And for a would-be-centrist like myself (mind you, the complete kookiness of the far right pushes me further and further to the left) it's a bit strident.

That said, as revisionist tomes go, it has an admirable consistency and adherence to its own worldview.

It is a bit dry, yes, and he goes at length to explain that the sheer mentioning of facts is not enough, they must be valued properly and given the indebted amijn t of airtime and placed in context. I suspect it will take me a few weeks to finish it but the book offers a wealth of knowledge about USA's history from a wide variety of sources.

Robert

Postby Robert » 19 Jan 2017, 14:46

Snarfyguy wrote:
Robert wrote:Joe Gould's teeth was good but not extraordinary. This one promises to be a life changing event according to the introduction:

I have that on my shelf and I've always meant to get to it. Do let us know what you make of it.

Certainly will do once I am halfway finished.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jan 2017, 17:14

Finally getting around to re-reading the sequel to Pohl and Kornbluth's The Space Merchants, only now I don't remember what happened in the first book, even though I only re-read that a couple of years ago. Oh well!
Jimbo wrote: And if there is war with Russia, a lot of people will die, maybe the east coast will vanish, but still and all, shit will work out.

Return to “Nextdoorland”