New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Oct 2019, 19:45

A few chapters in - so far, so good.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

`

Postby ` » 03 Nov 2019, 10:31

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

Arrived fresh today - looks to be a fantastic release.

Kindle version was going for UK£1.99 on Amazon UK a few days back when I bought it after watching BBC 1's superb seven-part A History of the Troubles. Very well written and readable it is, too.

If you're interested in Northern Ireland and didn't see it, the BBC recently also ran David Ireland's Cyprus Avenue, a very funny black comedy about an East Belfast Unionist who's convinced his daughter's newborn baby girl is Gerry Adams. The lead role was taken by Stephen Rea, a protestant Republican, who was formerly married Old Bailey bomber Dolours Price and occasionally mouthed GA's words when the UK government refused to run the actual voice of Mr. "I've Never Been a Member of the IRA".

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Nov 2019, 10:49

You may laugh but I've just worked out who you are! :)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 03 Nov 2019, 10:56

Diamond Dog wrote:You may laugh but I've just worked out who you are! :)

Blimey, that penny took quite a while to drop!

Either way, an excellent book.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Nov 2019, 00:43

I've never read either of these two before. Pretty amusing.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Nov 2019, 02:23

I finished Michael Palin's second set of diaries which was great,sad and a good deal more "mature" than the first - still a gripping read.
A completely different book is "A Liar's Autobiography" by Graham Chapman which is fucking great. So, so funny. What a loss. The book contains illustrations by someone I had never heard of called Jonathan Hills - and these are bewitchingly funny. I go back a few pages and look at one I have just looked at, and laugh afresh. I can't find anything about him at all online, I'd love to see what else he has done.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Nov 2019, 08:49

A mighty book - nearly 900 pages. Excellent thus far, going right back to the very start.
Cocaine

FOR5

Postby FOR5 » 22 Nov 2019, 08:40

Diamond Dog wrote:Charles Brandt "I Heard You Paint Houses"

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino & Joe Pesci all star in the newest Martin Scorsese film "The Irishman" which is due for release in the UK in November.... it's getting rave reviews and this is the book it is based upon.

I mean -what more do you want?

Saw the film at the pics last week, a masterpiece!
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

Groucho Marx

FOR5

Postby FOR5 » 22 Nov 2019, 08:45

Groucho Marx

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 23 Nov 2019, 23:47

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

A mighty book - nearly 900 pages. Excellent thus far, going right back to the very start.

It's a great book without a doubt. Tim Pat is an excellent historian. I've enjoyed all his books. All well worth looking out for.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Jan 2020, 19:39

Michael Cox "Zonal Marking : The Making of Modern European Football"

The idea is to explain how European football has evolved since the 50's (roughly) and what caused that evolution and where it first happened. Which is a perfectly reasonable and interesting premise. But... it seems to have got stuck in the (sometimes) inevitable "It only evolved if it was successful" schtick - ignoring the advances from lesser lights which certainly changed the game but weren't necessarily successful for the team/country that employed them (even though the reason for that failure maybe any manner of things, not just the tactics etc).

I shall persevere because some of it so far has been very enlightening.

Cocaine

FOR5

Postby FOR5 » 04 Jan 2020, 16:27

Diamond Dog wrote:Michael Cox "Zonal Marking : The Making of Modern European Football"

The idea is to explain how European football has evolved since the 50's (roughly) and what caused that evolution and where it first happened. Which is a perfectly reasonable and interesting premise. But... it seems to have got stuck in the (sometimes) inevitable "It only evolved if it was successful" schtick - ignoring the advances from lesser lights which certainly changed the game but weren't necessarily successful for the team/country that employed them (even though the reason for that failure maybe any manner of things, not just the tactics etc).

I shall persevere because some of it so far has been very enlightening.

If you wanna get bogged down in that stuff there are other books out there, this does what it says on the tin as it were, similar to his earlier book 'The Mixer'

Groucho Marx

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 05 Jan 2020, 09:25

Almost done here Felix.

I'm laughing because I remind myself of Woody Allen's father who fell asleep while reading the kidnappers' ransom note.
Question authority.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jan 2020, 17:03

FOR5 wrote:
If you wanna get bogged down in that stuff there are other books out there, this does what it says on the tin as it were, '

To be fair it doesn't, on a number of occasions. It spends countless pages comparing the club careers of Platini & Zidane, without once mentioning tactics or strategy, for instance.

A book on that subject may be very interesting but it really has very little (if anything) to do with "The Making Of Modern European Football". And the book cover itself says "France 2000-2004" as one of its seven 'examples'... what does that have to do with Platini?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jan 2020, 13:10

Sarah Churchwell "Behold America : A History of America First and the American Dream"

Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jan 2020, 04:14

Just finished listening to this fictional account about the Battle of Vicksburg.

Question authority.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jan 2020, 20:20

"This Is Not Propaganda" by Peter Pomerantsev.

A very dark and disturbing account of the 'fake news' used to destabilise countries...by other countries. A really worthwhile read for those who wonder just what to believe these days - if anything.....

This is the kind of thing Jimbo should read, but probably won't.
Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jan 2020, 14:59

Diamond Dog wrote:"This Is Not Propaganda" by Peter Pomerantsev.

A very dark and disturbing account of the 'fake news' used to destabilise countries...by other countries. A really worthwhile read for those who wonder just what to believe these days - if anything.....

This is the kind of thing Jimbo should read, but probably won't.

I'm not going to read the book but I did read a few very favorable reviews to get an idea of what you are talking about. Plus I read an excerpt that specifically dealt with the false, Russia-generated info surrounding the Ukraine revolution and specifically what the book says really happened in Odessa at the Palace of All Trade Unions. I have read about that incident and my Russia-loving sources say the neo-nazi Right Sector was responsible for most of the deaths there. Your book, however, says how a fair commission later on blamed the deaths on asphyxiation and while the scene was violent no one actually shot anybody. Fair enough. But Russia did amp up the blame in their troll factories - or something.

Consider this, DD. The Maidan thing happened in 2014. How is it now? How fares Ukraine? How fares Crimea? How fares Russia? So much paranoia from your side over nothing. Mueller flopped and showed how Trump did not collude. Ukraine's democracy is pretty healthy with the new president in talks with Putin. Maybe the stuff your book says about Duarte in the Philippines is true but the stuff about Russia? Bollocks.

Might as well post my current read/listen.

A new series and it's pretty exciting so far.
Question authority.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jan 2020, 19:58

My side?
My book?
Cocaine

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Jan 2020, 20:24

I'm reading Hello Americans, the second volume of Simon Callow's biography of Orson Welles. It is great. Better than the first volume, I think.

Return to “Nextdoorland”