New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 29 Mar 2017, 01:31

After praising the first part of the Simon Scarrow Roman legionnaire series book one for not being too Bernard Cornwellian, too "manly", by the end it was very similar to Sharpe/Harper equals Optio/Kato where both duos fight, drink, whore, brood ad nauseam. Nonetheless, the narrative entertained me until the end and had me fairly excited to read book two in the series. But Scarrow has another series of novels about the pairing of two actual historical figures, Napoleon and Wellington. They know each other in the books. (Don't laugh.) So I nipped reading the Roman book series in the bud and took up this first in a series. Again, it's entertaining. Henceforth I may alternate between the two series.

Question authority.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 29 Mar 2017, 13:10

Perhaps not quite the analysis I had expected, but an intriguing insight into Hillbilly life and culture.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Mar 2017, 08:51

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 30 Mar 2017, 09:42

Jimbo wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Image

Just downloaded this. This is the first in a long series of books. Scarrow was recommended if you like Cornwell or O'Brian. Is anyone here familiar with the series?

I am just a few chapters into this and it's really really good. The characters are well etched soldier stereotypes, the new recruit, the sadistic but good hearted drill sergeant, the effete general and many more recognizable characters. They're all in the story along with the knowledge of how the Roman army worked. It's a break from all the Cornwell I read but not much of a break, very similar to the Sharpe series but Scarrow's men are less "manly" and more human. If you like this sort of reading, so far - - - five stars!

couldn't get into that
I suppose I just had little interest in the period.
Probably why the Sharpe novels remain unread whilst all his other books I went through in hours.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Apr 2017, 11:28

A really well researched and written biography of the incomparable Nina Simone.

What can you say? Genius (or greatness, maybe?) doesn't always come packaged in wonderful personalities/characters....

Simone's place as an incredibly important musician/artist is pretty much beyond reproach - Alan Light presents her back catalogue honestly, highlighting the great recordings that exist, but isn't afraid to criticise when necessary. As a live performer, she was fearsome though - and Light continually presents this side of her as her true legacy. Her magnificent piano skills (which became apparent very early on in her life) allayed with her passionate vocal delivery are given due credence throughout.

But it's the incredibly harrowing lifestyle that was at the back of that career that really shines through here - the prejudice she had to overcome and how that became her driving life force. Sadly, that also became an 'excuse' for some unbelievably dangerous/unstable behavioural patterns - including beatings of her only child, gun offences and craziness that really do make your eyes pop out, and general all round physical/psychological destructiveness. It's a shocking tale - how she was beaten and raped by her husband/manager is particularly harrowing- that makes for a pretty unpleasant, but powerful, read.

In the end though it's a book that's really essential if you want to get to know Nina Simone and the triggers for all the legendary diva-like indulgences. What's inescapable is just how important an artist she truly was - hopefully it will make people go and visit her records and hear the brilliance contained within.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Postby ... » 01 Apr 2017, 11:41

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

A really well researched and written biography of the incomparable Nina Simone.

What can you say? Genius (or greatness, maybe?) doesn't always come packaged in wonderful personalities/characters....

Simone's place as an incredibly important musician/artist is pretty much beyond reproach - Alan Light presents her back catalogue honestly, highlighting the great recordings that exist, but isn't afraid to criticise when necessary. As a live performer, she was fearsome though - and Light continually presents this side of her as her true legacy. Her magnificent piano skills (which became apparent very early on in her life) allayed with her passionate vocal delivery are given due credence throughout.

But it's the incredibly harrowing lifestyle that was at the back of that career that really shines through here - the prejudice she had to overcome and how that became her driving life force. Sadly, that also became an 'excuse' for some unbelievably dangerous/unstable behavioural patterns - including beatings of her only child, gun offences and craziness that really do make your eyes pop out, and general all round physical/psychological destructiveness. It's a shocking tale - how she was beaten and raped by her husband/manager is particularly harrowing- that makes for a pretty unpleasant, but powerful, read.

In the end though it's a book that's really essential if you want to get to know Nina Simone and the triggers for all the legendary diva-like indulgences. What's inescapable is just how important an artist she truly was - hopefully it will make people go and visit her records and hear the brilliance contained within.

Saw the film that this accompanied on Netflix about a year ago. If the book is half as good, it'll be a cracking read.

One of the best anecdotes that came out of the film was an interview with one a long-term minder who was told at the outset of his career with NS that he wasn't employed to keep her safe from the fans, he was there to keep the fans safe from her.

Postby ... » 01 Apr 2017, 17:10

Know there are a few fans here so am sure will be glad to hear that there's new Bernie Gunther book coming out on Tuesday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prussian-Blue- ... hilip+kerr

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Apr 2017, 18:50

the masked man wrote:Paul Morley - The Age Of Bowie:

So far, a thrilling read. Morley is a great critic, and he's sketching the life of Britain's greatest rock star with skill and perception. He is an unusual stylist, and not everyone likes his boastful style, but this works well here. It's one from the heart.

I thought it started brilliantly but fell away way before the end.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Apr 2017, 18:55

fueryIre wrote:

One of the best anecdotes that came out of the film was an interview with one a long-term minder who was told at the outset of his career with NS that he wasn't employed to keep her safe from the fans, he was there to keep the fans safe from her.

The last line of the book is :

Shortly before her death an interviewer asked Nina Simone "Are you still as temperamental?".... "Not as temperamental" she said "if I get my way".....

:D
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

joels344

Postby joels344 » 01 Apr 2017, 21:27

90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Apr 2017, 09:24

Right up my alley this kind of thing, a fictional memoir of obscure music-hall star Arthur Dandoe, a member of Fred Karno's army, and contemporary of Chaplin (his nemesis in this story) and Stan Laurel. Only a few chapters in, but it holds plenty of promise for me.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Apr 2017, 09:33

Just starting the above as about a million people want it after me in the library.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Apr 2017, 22:18

On the basis of a positive review, I bought this some years ago and promptly lost it in the new-baby vortex. It's now re-appeared, so I've been dipping into it. He's a smart guy, but it's mostly pretty gossipy stuff. The footnotes rankle, though, identifying either things you don't need to know (e.g. some hairdresser or other) or something everybody already knows (a footnote to explain what a bloody mary is?).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 21 Apr 2017, 00:25

I’m not well acquainted with American/Southern Gothic and read this on the recommendation of a friend. It’s like Badlands mixed up with Flannery O’Connor on stump liquor etc. We are not in polite company in this book and it’s difficult/horrifyingly easy to read in places with some of the things that go on. I loved the bit where Arvin visits the restaurant where his parents met. And as for how it ends, justice is done but in mysterious ways… fucking hell. At first I read ten pages, then 20, and so on until I finished it today in a 100-page stint - it's that kind of book.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Apr 2017, 08:31

I read all the DRP books last year. They're great.

Postby ... » 21 Apr 2017, 08:58

DRP Is indeed a fantastic writer.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 21 Apr 2017, 16:11

I'm glad youse (sorry Markus) like DRP - I'll certainly be reading more by him.

What do you make of Pax Romana then, Toby?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Apr 2017, 16:15

echolalia wrote:I'm glad youse (sorry Markus) like DRP

No need to be sorry, it's a handy word.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Apr 2017, 16:19

Better late than never...

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Apr 2017, 18:58

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Better late than never...

I've been dipping in and out of that for a while.

I can't help but feel that my (Penguin Modern Classics) edition would be improved a bit by having some of the photos he talks about actually printed in the book for reference, as it's a bit awkward having to keep googling them on my phone. Otherwise it's a good read - and the title is a bit misleading, as it's not so much a "guide to understanding photography" as simply a collection of Berger's writings on various photographers and themes.

Have you read Geoff Dyer's The Ongoing Moment? That's some great photography writing.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Nextdoorland”