New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: New now reading

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Apr 2017, 19:11

PENK wrote:Have you read Geoff Dyer's The Ongoing Moment? That's some great photography writing.

I haven't. Thanks for the tip.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 May 2017, 14:56

In addition to the Richard Burton diaries, which I've been dipping into from time to time over the past few weeks,

An examination of the response by the U.S. government to terrorism since 9/11. I picked it up not so much for the subject matter as for the quality of the writing (here are a couple of Danner's pieces on Trump from the New York Review of Books):

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/03/23...trump-could-do/

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/12/22/the-real-trump/

Also

I picked this one up on the strength of a recommendation, so thanks whoever-you-were! The writing's a bit uneven, but better than most trashy Hollywood bios, and the life and times are interesting, plus there are some great stories along the way. Of course he's a complete bastard, that should go without saying.

Also

A collection of short essays ruminating on the state of the union by the late great cultural critic John Leonard (the title refers to Kurt Vonnegut), circa the early 90s. It's refreshing to be reminded that the country had never been more completely fucked back then, too! :)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 May 2017, 15:41

Just started to read this... a fascinating juxtaposition of letters written by Monet (in his life, he sent over 2000 letters we know of, containing half a million words) and chronologically relevant paintings. A really nice chunky hardback with 315 beautifully clear photos of his paintings. If you like Monet, or want an introduction,this is highly recommended.

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 03 May 2017, 15:47

Just finished:

Onto:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 May 2017, 15:31

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 04 May 2017, 15:53

This is great!

a gibbon running freely

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2017, 09:15

Well, that Chuck Palahniuk book was the worst thing I've read for some time. Desperately wanting to be edgy, written with as much style as Dan Brown, and covering ground that has been written of in much more intelligent fashion by the likes of Bret Easton Ellis and Philip Roth. At least it was short.

Now reading:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 May 2017, 09:29

Just started this:

It is already proving very interesting. I told the JWs that visited on Saturday that Homo Sapiens was once one of six species of homos (no sniggering) co-habiting on planet earth - they were unclear as to whether there were any Neanderthals in heaven. I then got on to the subject of potential extra-terrestrial life.. but that's another story.

Edit: Just noticed another one of his books up thread!

Im a bit stalled with this one:

You have to think the question is valid in the first place and I have my doubts. I can't help thinking a lot of philosophy is just procrastination.

Reading this for the first time since my O levels:

And it's as brilliant as I remember it.

Just finished this:

Pratchett's last book. I'm not a fan as such and have only read a few of his books but he was a unique and often very funny writer. His characters are always good for a chuckle.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 08 May 2017, 10:00

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2017, 10:31

Deebank wrote:Just started this:

It is already proving very interesting. I told the JWs that visited on Saturday that Homo Sapiens was once one of six species of homos (no sniggering) co-habiting on planet earth - they were unclear as to whether there were any Neanderthals in heaven. I then got on to the subject of potential extra-terrestrial life.. but that's another story.

I read that a couple of months back. The closer to modern times it gets, the less interesting it becomes in my view, it gets much more bogged down in political and economic discussions that I think are closer to personal opinion than the results of scientific analysis. But it's bloody good up to that point.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 May 2017, 10:36

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Deebank wrote:Just started this:

I read that a couple of months back. The closer to modern times it gets, the less interesting it becomes in my view, it gets much more bogged down in political and economic discussions that I think are closer to personal opinion than the results of scientific analysis. But it's bloody good up to that point.

I'm more interested in the origins stuff, so I may skip the end if it's dull. He teaches at the Hebrew University in Israel - does that influence his world view at all do you think?

If that's a contentious question don't bother answering - it is a minefield :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2017, 10:47

Not to side-step the contentious question, but I really wasn't that interested on that side of things myself, and I've already forgotten what bias he held. I guess he was to the right of me, as would be the norm, but I don't recall any outright nutty views. Might have made it more interesting if he had.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 May 2017, 21:46

echolalia wrote:
What do you make of Pax Romana then, Toby?

Sorry I only just saw this.

I liked it. I mean, I know the sources that Goldsworthy concentrates on, such as Pliny's letters and the Gallic War quite well, so there was quite a bit that wasn't that new to me. I'm in agreement with his conjecture that, essentially, life outside the Roman empire was barbaric and probably quite short, so that life inside it was probably worth living in contrast. No doubt the Army on the frontier were brutish and prone to bullying. But they were also the method of gaining citizenship for many.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 May 2017, 21:49

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 May 2017, 21:51

Also working my way through Alan Moore's Providence - just got to the end of Act 1

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 May 2017, 22:48

Toby wrote:Also working my way through Alan Moore's Providence - just got to the end of Act 1

I assume it's Lovecraftian?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 May 2017, 11:38

Yes of course. A Moore reworking of the Mythos with a backdrop of the racial and sexual politics of the time. It's very good.

The hardback of Act 1 has been reprinted. I had to shell out £30 for the 1st edition, and got the second one (with a different cover) as well.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 May 2017, 11:42

Toby wrote:Image

I read that recently and enjoyed it a lot, though it was obviously a debut and needed a better editor (overlong, a tad heavyhanded, and with some side characters who felt rather shoehorned in). Good characterisation and real heart saved the day though, and I felt like it got stronger and more confident as it went on.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 May 2017, 12:42

Following one of Clive Gash's non sequitur links to CaB I bought the book he linked to a thread about... So thanks Clive :)

Scarred For Life Vol 1 tackles TV, books, culture etc in the '70s - it is a mine of great info about series like Sky, Children of the Stones, The Owl Service and many more (I have since watched all three on YouTube). These vaguely remembered horrors proved remarkably good, excellent even, especially when you think they were kids shows.

The book is great and treats the subject matter with a bit of respect unlike the tedious 'It was OK in the '70s' TV twat-fests.

Next up I'm watching The Changes and perhaps Ace of Wands (theme tune by Andy Bown!)

Robust.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 21 May 2017, 17:47

Providence is excellent
a gibbon running freely

Return to “Nextdoorland”