New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3272
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2017, 10:31

Deebank wrote:Just started this:

Image

It is already proving very interesting. I told the JWs that visited on Saturday that Homo Sapiens was once one of six species of homos (no sniggering) co-habiting on planet earth - they were unclear as to whether there were any Neanderthals in heaven. I then got on to the subject of potential extra-terrestrial life.. but that's another story.

I read that a couple of months back. The closer to modern times it gets, the less interesting it becomes in my view, it gets much more bogged down in political and economic discussions that I think are closer to personal opinion than the results of scientific analysis. But it's bloody good up to that point.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22225
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: New now reading

Postby Deebank » 08 May 2017, 10:36

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Deebank wrote:Just started this:

Image

It is already proving very interesting. I told the JWs that visited on Saturday that Homo Sapiens was once one of six species of homos (no sniggering) co-habiting on planet earth - they were unclear as to whether there were any Neanderthals in heaven. I then got on to the subject of potential extra-terrestrial life.. but that's another story.

I read that a couple of months back. The closer to modern times it gets, the less interesting it becomes in my view, it gets much more bogged down in political and economic discussions that I think are closer to personal opinion than the results of scientific analysis. But it's bloody good up to that point.


I'm more interested in the origins stuff, so I may skip the end if it's dull. He teaches at the Hebrew University in Israel - does that influence his world view at all do you think?

If that's a contentious question don't bother answering - it is a minefield :)
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3272
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2017, 10:47

Not to side-step the contentious question, but I really wasn't that interested on that side of things myself, and I've already forgotten what bias he held. I guess he was to the right of me, as would be the norm, but I don't recall any outright nutty views. Might have made it more interesting if he had.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21567
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: New now reading

Postby Toby » 20 May 2017, 21:46

echolalia wrote:
What do you make of Pax Romana then, Toby?


Sorry I only just saw this.

I liked it. I mean, I know the sources that Goldsworthy concentrates on, such as Pliny's letters and the Gallic War quite well, so there was quite a bit that wasn't that new to me. I'm in agreement with his conjecture that, essentially, life outside the Roman empire was barbaric and probably quite short, so that life inside it was probably worth living in contrast. No doubt the Army on the frontier were brutish and prone to bullying. But they were also the method of gaining citizenship for many.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21567
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: New now reading

Postby Toby » 20 May 2017, 21:49

Image

Image

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21567
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: New now reading

Postby Toby » 20 May 2017, 21:51

Also working my way through Alan Moore's Providence - just got to the end of Act 1

Image

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22225
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: New now reading

Postby Deebank » 20 May 2017, 22:48

Toby wrote:Also working my way through Alan Moore's Providence - just got to the end of Act 1

Image



I assume it's Lovecraftian?
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21567
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: New now reading

Postby Toby » 21 May 2017, 11:38

Yes of course. A Moore reworking of the Mythos with a backdrop of the racial and sexual politics of the time. It's very good.

The hardback of Act 1 has been reprinted. I had to shell out £30 for the 1st edition, and got the second one (with a different cover) as well.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33146
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: New now reading

Postby PENK » 21 May 2017, 11:42

Toby wrote:Image


I read that recently and enjoyed it a lot, though it was obviously a debut and needed a better editor (overlong, a tad heavyhanded, and with some side characters who felt rather shoehorned in). Good characterisation and real heart saved the day though, and I felt like it got stronger and more confident as it went on.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22225
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: New now reading

Postby Deebank » 21 May 2017, 12:42

Following one of Clive Gash's non sequitur links to CaB I bought the book he linked to a thread about... So thanks Clive :)

Scarred For Life Vol 1 tackles TV, books, culture etc in the '70s - it is a mine of great info about series like Sky, Children of the Stones, The Owl Service and many more (I have since watched all three on YouTube). These vaguely remembered horrors proved remarkably good, excellent even, especially when you think they were kids shows.

The book is great and treats the subject matter with a bit of respect unlike the tedious 'It was OK in the '70s' TV twat-fests.

Next up I'm watching The Changes and perhaps Ace of Wands (theme tune by Andy Bown!)

Robust.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Velvis
Mellowed down easy
Posts: 15788
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:21
Location: on Grand Street, where the neon madmen climb

Re: New now reading

Postby Velvis » 21 May 2017, 17:47

Providence is excellent
a gibbon running freely

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13477
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 21 May 2017, 18:20

I'm well into Excalibur, book three and the last of the Bernard Cornwell series featuring King Arthur. Cornwell has written so many books since Sharpe and I must say his writing gets better and better.
I love you.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22225
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: New now reading

Postby Deebank » 21 May 2017, 18:55

Jimbo wrote:I'm well into Excalibur, book three and the last of the Bernard Cornwell series featuring King Arthur. Cornwell has written so many books since Sharpe and I must say his writing gets better and better.


I enjoyed the last series of The Last Kingdom on the Beeb, indeed I have enjoyed all of them... perhaps I should read them.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
neville harp
cultural defective
Posts: 13234
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: New now reading

Postby neville harp » 22 May 2017, 08:59

Deebank wrote:Following one of Clive Gash's non sequitur links to CaB I bought the book he linked to a thread about... So thanks Clive :)

Scarred For Life Vol 1 tackles TV, books, culture etc in the '70s - it is a mine of great info about series like Sky, Children of the Stones, The Owl Service and many more (I have since watched all three on YouTube). These vaguely remembered horrors proved remarkably good, excellent even, especially when you think they were kids shows.

The book is great and treats the subject matter with a bit of respect unlike the tedious 'It was OK in the '70s' TV twat-fests.

Next up I'm watching The Changes and perhaps Ace of Wands (theme tune by Andy Bown!)

Robust.


Glad to be of help. Do I get the book when you've finished it?
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22225
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: New now reading

Postby Deebank » 22 May 2017, 09:17

clive gash wrote:
Deebank wrote:Following one of Clive Gash's non sequitur links to CaB I bought the book he linked to a thread about... So thanks Clive :)

Scarred For Life Vol 1 tackles TV, books, culture etc in the '70s - it is a mine of great info about series like Sky, Children of the Stones, The Owl Service and many more (I have since watched all three on YouTube). These vaguely remembered horrors proved remarkably good, excellent even, especially when you think they were kids shows.

The book is great and treats the subject matter with a bit of respect unlike the tedious 'It was OK in the '70s' TV twat-fests.

Next up I'm watching The Changes and perhaps Ace of Wands (theme tune by Andy Bown!)

Robust.


Glad to be of help. Do I get the book when you've finished it?


Potentially... I have promised to lend to a mate who first reminded me about Sky and CotS. He said he may get it himself though.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 3986
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: New now reading

Postby echolalia » 22 May 2017, 10:30

Toby wrote:
echolalia wrote:
What do you make of Pax Romana then, Toby?


I liked it. I mean, I know the sources that Goldsworthy concentrates on, such as Pliny's letters and the Gallic War quite well, so there was quite a bit that wasn't that new to me. I'm in agreement with his conjecture that, essentially, life outside the Roman empire was barbaric and probably quite short, so that life inside it was probably worth living in contrast. No doubt the Army on the frontier were brutish and prone to bullying. But they were also the method of gaining citizenship for many.

Isn’t the Gallic War the one where he mentions a wicker man?

I was holiday in the Salento in Italy a few years ago, a long time after my initial ancient Roman history kick, and we were staying in a place which was quite curious because the countryside was flat as a billiard table for miles around. There was a fancy plaque-monument on the road outside and I wandered up to read it. It marked the site of the battle of Cannae, where as you know Hannibal fought the Roman army and inflicted on it the biggest defeat in its entire history. I was thrilled! Then I had a facepalm moment when I remembered the village down the road was called Canne della Battaglia.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51822
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 May 2017, 14:21

Image
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 589
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: New now reading

Postby joels344 » 25 May 2017, 15:10

Reading Naoki Urasawa's most recent work. Having read his other Manga series before, I have to say he's the most sophisticated, complex, and mature author in the business. He has one true masterpiece, in the genuinely horrifying thriller series known as Monster. He also has two brilliant works of science fiction; Pluto, and the epic and ambitious, 20th Century Boys. Those two series unfortunately fell apart under their own ideas towards the end but still crafted in a stunning and unique manner.

Billy Bat seems to be a grade below the aforementioned series, which is why I'm reading it at such a slower place. I usually get so immersed into an Urasawa universe that I read entire series in 5 to 8 days. This one, however, has some intriguing moments, but I'm skeptical as to how he connects all the dots he's made throughout the series so far. I get the impression he's attempting to out do himself in terms of ambitious storytelling.

Image

User avatar
^^^^^ great post. Thank you.
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28141
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: New now reading

Postby ^^^^^ great post. Thank you. » 25 May 2017, 19:02

Italo Calvino - Marcovaldo

I came really late to Calvino, and was dumbfounded by the glory of 'Baron in the Trees' and 'Difficult Loves'.
'Marcovaldo' contains a couple of dozen tiny stories, each one about four or five pages long, and each a beautiful, tiny vignette. He is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors - if not my favourite.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51822
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 May 2017, 20:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:Italo Calvino - Marcovaldo

I came really late to Calvino, and was dumbfounded by the glory of 'Baron in the Trees' and 'Difficult Loves'.
'Marcovaldo' contains a couple of dozen tiny stories, each one about four or five pages long, and each a beautiful, tiny vignette. He is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors - if not my favourite.

Have you read his If On a Winter's Night, A Traveler...?

I can't recommend it enough. In fact, I want to read it again RIGHT NOW.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: toomanyhatz and 1 guest