New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
FOR5
Posts: 468
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 23:02

Re: New now reading

Postby FOR5 » 22 Nov 2019, 08:45

Image

Image
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

Groucho Marx

Image

User avatar
rorebhoy
Posts: 1538
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 12:03

Re: New now reading

Postby rorebhoy » 23 Nov 2019, 23:47

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

A mighty book - nearly 900 pages. Excellent thus far, going right back to the very start.


It's a great book without a doubt. Tim Pat is an excellent historian. I've enjoyed all his books. All well worth looking out for.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Jan 2020, 19:39

Michael Cox "Zonal Marking : The Making of Modern European Football"

The idea is to explain how European football has evolved since the 50's (roughly) and what caused that evolution and where it first happened. Which is a perfectly reasonable and interesting premise. But... it seems to have got stuck in the (sometimes) inevitable "It only evolved if it was successful" schtick - ignoring the advances from lesser lights which certainly changed the game but weren't necessarily successful for the team/country that employed them (even though the reason for that failure maybe any manner of things, not just the tactics etc).

I shall persevere because some of it so far has been very enlightening.

Image
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
FOR5
Posts: 468
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 23:02

Re: New now reading

Postby FOR5 » 04 Jan 2020, 16:27

Diamond Dog wrote:Michael Cox "Zonal Marking : The Making of Modern European Football"

The idea is to explain how European football has evolved since the 50's (roughly) and what caused that evolution and where it first happened. Which is a perfectly reasonable and interesting premise. But... it seems to have got stuck in the (sometimes) inevitable "It only evolved if it was successful" schtick - ignoring the advances from lesser lights which certainly changed the game but weren't necessarily successful for the team/country that employed them (even though the reason for that failure maybe any manner of things, not just the tactics etc).

I shall persevere because some of it so far has been very enlightening.

Image


If you wanna get bogged down in that stuff there are other books out there, this does what it says on the tin as it were, similar to his earlier book 'The Mixer'
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

Groucho Marx

Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17810
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 05 Jan 2020, 09:25

Image

Almost done here Felix.

I'm laughing because I remind myself of Woody Allen's father who fell asleep while reading the kidnappers' ransom note.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jan 2020, 17:03

FOR5 wrote:
If you wanna get bogged down in that stuff there are other books out there, this does what it says on the tin as it were, '


To be fair it doesn't, on a number of occasions. It spends countless pages comparing the club careers of Platini & Zidane, without once mentioning tactics or strategy, for instance.

A book on that subject may be very interesting but it really has very little (if anything) to do with "The Making Of Modern European Football". And the book cover itself says "France 2000-2004" as one of its seven 'examples'... what does that have to do with Platini?
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jan 2020, 13:10

Sarah Churchwell "Behold America : A History of America First and the American Dream"

Image
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17810
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jan 2020, 04:14

Just finished listening to this fictional account about the Battle of Vicksburg.

Image
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jan 2020, 20:20

"This Is Not Propaganda" by Peter Pomerantsev.

A very dark and disturbing account of the 'fake news' used to destabilise countries...by other countries. A really worthwhile read for those who wonder just what to believe these days - if anything.....

Image

This is the kind of thing Jimbo should read, but probably won't.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17810
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jan 2020, 14:59

Diamond Dog wrote:"This Is Not Propaganda" by Peter Pomerantsev.

A very dark and disturbing account of the 'fake news' used to destabilise countries...by other countries. A really worthwhile read for those who wonder just what to believe these days - if anything.....

This is the kind of thing Jimbo should read, but probably won't.


I'm not going to read the book but I did read a few very favorable reviews to get an idea of what you are talking about. Plus I read an excerpt that specifically dealt with the false, Russia-generated info surrounding the Ukraine revolution and specifically what the book says really happened in Odessa at the Palace of All Trade Unions. I have read about that incident and my Russia-loving sources say the neo-nazi Right Sector was responsible for most of the deaths there. Your book, however, says how a fair commission later on blamed the deaths on asphyxiation and while the scene was violent no one actually shot anybody. Fair enough. But Russia did amp up the blame in their troll factories - or something.

Consider this, DD. The Maidan thing happened in 2014. How is it now? How fares Ukraine? How fares Crimea? How fares Russia? So much paranoia from your side over nothing. Mueller flopped and showed how Trump did not collude. Ukraine's democracy is pretty healthy with the new president in talks with Putin. Maybe the stuff your book says about Duarte in the Philippines is true but the stuff about Russia? Bollocks.

Might as well post my current read/listen.

Image

A new series and it's pretty exciting so far.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jan 2020, 19:58

My side?
My book?
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

Positive Passion
Posts: 1250
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: New now reading

Postby Positive Passion » 30 Jan 2020, 20:24

I'm reading Hello Americans, the second volume of Simon Callow's biography of Orson Welles. It is great. Better than the first volume, I think.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17810
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jan 2020, 23:37

Diamond Dog wrote:My side?
My book?


Yeah. If not, why then did you say Pomeransev's book was the kind of book I should read but probably won't?
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53474
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 Jan 2020, 02:44

Image
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jan 2020, 06:01

Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:My side?
My book?


Yeah. If not, why then did you say Pomeransev's book was the kind of book I should read but probably won't?


Because it actually provides clarity around some of the issues that you post about on here - some agreeing with your previously stated viewpoints, others not. Much of it from first hand sources who actually worked and lived the existence - as opposed besides sitting on their arses in New York/London/Munich etc and never once setting foot inside the areas in question.

You know - a balanced view mostly.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17810
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New now reading

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jan 2020, 13:57

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:My side?
My book?


Yeah. If not, why then did you say Pomeransev's book was the kind of book I should read but probably won't?


Because it actually provides clarity around some of the issues that you post about on here - some agreeing with your previously stated viewpoints, others not. Much of it from first hand sources who actually worked and lived the existence - as opposed besides sitting on their arses in New York/London/Munich etc and never once setting foot inside the areas in question.

You know - a balanced view mostly.


Oookay, you cut me a little slack in the first sentence saying that in your book there is actually some agreement with my side. Nice to hear. But then you smack me down in your next sentence implying that my sources are armchair sitting, basement dwelling trolls or something like that. That does describe me but is an insult to the actual journalists, truth tellers, whistleblowers and smart people whom I reference. That is how your side sees alternative information sources.

Nobody Sets Out To Become A War Propagandist. It Just Sort Of Happens.
https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/nobo ... 27bc919e49
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jan 2020, 14:56

I never said any such fucking thing. I talked about YOUR viewpoint, not MY book.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53474
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New now reading

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Feb 2020, 01:56

Image

A non-fiction account that reads like a thriller, according to what seem like generally positive reviews. Paperback edition just came out and arrived today. Looking forward, but I may delay digging in until later this month, when we're on vacation in... Panama! :D
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2439
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: New now reading

Postby Rorschach » 07 Feb 2020, 08:03

Image

I assume you can work out the translation of the title.

My son gave me this for Christmas; the first present he's ever bought me!

We both read it in English last year; I've long been a fan and he loved it too. Reading it in Spanish is a bit odd as the style of the language is such a an important part of the book and such 'subtleties' are way beyond my level of Spanish. Interesting though.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24634
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: New now reading

Postby Copehead » 07 Feb 2020, 12:49

Jimbo wrote:Image

Almost done here Felix.

I'm laughing because I remind myself of Woody Allen's father who fell asleep while reading the kidnappers' ransom note.


I have just bought his " Lovecraft Country" racism and shoggoths in 50s USA
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.