New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: New now reading

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Oct 2019, 06:19

Dylan Jones "The Wichita Lineman".

Yep a whole book about the song - and the major players (particularly Jimmy Webb & Glen Campbell but others as well) in its idea, writing, playing, recording and legacy etc etc.

So far - very entertaining!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 10 Oct 2019, 10:03

Currently about half way through Peter Crouch’s autobiography How To Be A Footballer. Started a bit slow but it’s getting funnier the more you read. What comes over most is what a genuinely lovely bloke he is.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Oct 2019, 14:25

Johnny Fartpants wrote:Currently about half way through Peter Crouch’s autobiography How To Be A Footballer. Started a bit slow but it’s getting funnier the more you read. What comes over most is what a genuinely lovely bloke he is.

Dipping in and out of that myself and enjoying it greatly - one of the few footballers you could imagine going and having a couple of pints with.

Always had a lot of time for him since he was asked what he thought he'd be if he wasn't a footballer and replied "a virgin".

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Oct 2019, 14:25

Sorry, DP
Last edited by Powehi on 10 Oct 2019, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Oct 2019, 14:29

Even sorrier, TP
Last edited by Powehi on 10 Oct 2019, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Oct 2019, 14:29

1,000 apologies, QP
Last edited by Powehi on 10 Oct 2019, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Oct 2019, 06:16

Charles Brandt "I Heard You Paint Houses"

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino & Joe Pesci all star in the newest Martin Scorsese film "The Irishman" which is due for release in the UK in November.... it's getting rave reviews and this is the book it is based upon.

I mean -what more do you want?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Oct 2019, 12:01

Jimbo wrote:Image

Now, on to Ellroy's newest.

Finally finished this one. What a slog. And well worth it. If hard boiled is your thing you will love this book. If terse verse is your thing, grab it. If only to see Ellroy hunker all his brain cells together and focus on a 130 chapter, 20 or more character historical epic about wartime LA then I recommend this book. If, however, you treasure time and appreciating life, don't start.

Next.

... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 14 Oct 2019, 22:14

I'm dipping into this:

The contents page lists an author called “Juliane Maclaren-Ross”, which is really unfortunate (for Julian).

And mainly reading:

A War and Peace-sized potboiler set in 19th-century Madrid. Character-churn can be a problem with such a vast book – people disappearing from events and popping up again 600 pages later - but I'm reading it at a fairly brisk pace so as not to forget names. My favourite character is Papitos, the scatterbrained servant girl – every time she appears you know damage/chaos/mayhem will ensue. 400 pages to go!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Oct 2019, 13:37

One of the 100 best books about Scotland, according to The Scottish Books Trust, or someone like that. Bit of a doorstop of a novel, which covers a 6 hour nocturnal broadcast on a Glaswegian Asian community radio station. Lots of pop philosophy, musings on the state of multi-cultural relationships, Trainspotting-esque dialgogue intertwined with Urdu, and a piss-poor playlist including Kula Shaker and The Beatles.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 18 Oct 2019, 15:58

Image[/quote]

I know I said I was going to read Bloomenthal's newest next but as I read it dawned on me that non-fiction is real, too real. So I gave that one up for this one, the last in the new Flashman series.

And it is a hoot with Flashy in France when Napoleon escapes from Elba and he goes undercover as a French officer. The digestibility between the two books is remarkable, the first hard to swallow and Flashman going down like chocolate milk.

So that will be done by tomorrow and for my next I chose a book by Russell Banks, an author just recommended in a podcast by Chris Hedges as his favorite author. The book may be the longest audio book I have ever chosen at 29 hours but it is a historical novel about John Brown in pre-Civil War US.

... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Oct 2019, 21:47

Short fiction and non-fiction pieces. Pretty good.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Oct 2019, 19:45

A few chapters in - so far, so good.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 03 Nov 2019, 10:31

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

Arrived fresh today - looks to be a fantastic release.

Kindle version was going for UK£1.99 on Amazon UK a few days back when I bought it after watching BBC 1's superb seven-part A History of the Troubles. Very well written and readable it is, too.

If you're interested in Northern Ireland and didn't see it, the BBC recently also ran David Ireland's Cyprus Avenue, a very funny black comedy about an East Belfast Unionist who's convinced his daughter's newborn baby girl is Gerry Adams. The lead role was taken by Stephen Rea, a protestant Republican, who was formerly married Old Bailey bomber Dolours Price and occasionally mouthed GA's words when the UK government refused to run the actual voice of Mr. "I've Never Been a Member of the IRA".

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Nov 2019, 10:49

You may laugh but I've just worked out who you are! :)

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 03 Nov 2019, 10:56

Diamond Dog wrote:You may laugh but I've just worked out who you are! :)

Blimey, that penny took quite a while to drop!

Either way, an excellent book.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Nov 2019, 00:43

I've never read either of these two before. Pretty amusing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Nov 2019, 02:23

I finished Michael Palin's second set of diaries which was great,sad and a good deal more "mature" than the first - still a gripping read.
A completely different book is "A Liar's Autobiography" by Graham Chapman which is fucking great. So, so funny. What a loss. The book contains illustrations by someone I had never heard of called Jonathan Hills - and these are bewitchingly funny. I go back a few pages and look at one I have just looked at, and laugh afresh. I can't find anything about him at all online, I'd love to see what else he has done.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » Yesterday, 08:49

A mighty book - nearly 900 pages. Excellent thus far, going right back to the very start.

FOR5

Postby FOR5 » Today, 08:40

Diamond Dog wrote:Charles Brandt "I Heard You Paint Houses"

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino & Joe Pesci all star in the newest Martin Scorsese film "The Irishman" which is due for release in the UK in November.... it's getting rave reviews and this is the book it is based upon.

I mean -what more do you want?

Saw the film at the pics last week, a masterpiece!
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

Groucho Marx