New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: New now reading

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 May 2019, 19:18

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I’m reading H for Hawk which has some beautiful writing. I’m niggled though by a constant sense that falconry is possibly cruel and it’s preventing me from connecting with it as I would like to.

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 May 2019, 11:52

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 May 2019, 19:59

The Hanged Man - Don Bapst
An excellent interesting, well written book built around the origin of the Tarot cards. It's been quite a page turner. I know very little about the Tarot but recommend the book.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 May 2019, 20:19

Only just started this but it already looks to be a fascinating insight into how land was originally acquired in England, how the law has been amended over the centuries to make it incredibly difficult to actually trace who owns what - and why those that own it really don't want you to know they do....and the influence (and wealth) it attracts.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, Or is it something worse?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2019, 09:30

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 May 2019, 09:07

Got a bit bogged down with the "Who Owns England" book above (it's good but quite heavy going in places) so decided to delve into something a little more 'upbeat'.

And am I glad a did! A quite brilliantly amusing book about the 'tricks of the trade' or, more accurately, the 'figures of rhetoric'. The author lists by chapter all the different literary devices and explains the rules of the technique - and then details its usage in classic works and contemporary works as well.

So if you want to know what an Epanalepsis is (repetition after intervening words), and how to use it.... or a Prolepsis (starting sentences using repetition), and a perfect example..... this is absolutely the right book for you. And what's more, you'll find yourself in tears of laughter at the explanation.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 23 May 2019, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 23 May 2019, 09:24

Diamond Dog wrote:

Cue unfunny remark from "Clive Gash"

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 23 May 2019, 11:10

Powehi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Cue unfunny remark from "Clive Gash"

Cue second unfunny remark by "Clive Gash" about my apparently being feuryhk

Robert

Postby Robert » 24 May 2019, 13:20

I started to read this on the strength of a review in the New Yorker. The man's writing style is not very engaging I must say but the stories are fascinating.

It is starting with a woman(?) called Jemima Jackson who died from fever on 5th October 1776, to arise from death 6 days later with the announcement that Jemima had died and that her body had been requisitioned by God for no less holy a purpose than the salvation of mankind. From then on, she did not recognize family anymore and refused to listen to any other names than 'Public Universal Friend', ' The All-Friend' ' Friend of Sinners' and' The Comforter'.

A number of others are described with the last one in the row being Jim Jones and his Peoples Temple.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jun 2019, 19:49

Somehow I know the author, apparently. Fortunately it's well written and meticulously researched.

Also, enraging and profoundly scary. In exchange for what amounts to bed and board, senior citizens do manual labor, constituting a new, cheap workforce across the country.

a reviewer for the NY Times wrote:Bruder also worked at an Amazon fulfillment center, among workers in their 50s and up. “We’ve had folks in their 80s who do a phenomenal job for us,” one official for CamperForce, “a program created by the online retailer to hire itinerant workers,” said. “Some walk 15 miles on concrete floors, stooping, squatting, reaching and climbing stairs as they scan, sort and box merchandise,” Bruder notes. “Buns of steel, here we come,” an instructor tells gray-haired listeners. Amazon receives federal tax credit for hiring the “disadvantaged,” which includes those on Supplemental Security Income or food stamps. The CamperForce newsletter was upbeat: “Make new friends and reacquaint with old ones, share good food, good stories, and good times around the campfire, or around the table. In some ways, that’s worth more than money.”

Christ, how evil can you get?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Jun 2019, 21:00

Qube

Postby Qube » 07 Jun 2019, 17:01

Excellent book so far, showing nuclear power to be the only way we can decarbonise our atmosphere cleanly, safely and in the time scale that matters.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Jun 2019, 10:58

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

Only just started this but it already looks to be a fascinating insight into how land was originally acquired in England, how the law has been amended over the centuries to make it incredibly difficult to actually trace who owns what - and why those that own it really don't want you to know they do....and the influence (and wealth) it attracts.

It's a very, very good book - but not really about the subject matter promised.

The author has a clear political leaning which means the book becomes very much a tome about how 'the rich' have dispossessed 'the poor' since the Norman Conquest, to acquire more and more land and hide that ownership through various schemes and tricks. The book also highlights how something as (seemingly) simple as the Land Registry is still only 80% complete, despite being set up over 150 years ago!

It is a really good book - but takes an age to arrive at its conclusions... which only partly answer the question in the books title.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Jun 2019, 16:24

Not 100% I'm going to stick with this. Marcus writes like a novelist, getting into his characters' heads, and the writing itself is kind of florid and overblown.

But it's also kind of interesting.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

mission

Postby mission » 13 Jun 2019, 10:22

Marcus writes like a tendentious but fundamentally incomprehensible windbag. I have wasted hours unpacking his gibberish.

There.
Goodness gracious me.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 13 Jun 2019, 12:20

I think it may be his most rewarding book, but I haven’t read more than 10 or 15 pages. It’s a project waiting for me that I intend to do, and it’s more feasible than ever since most of what he’s talking about (recording wise) is mostly obtainable.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2019, 20:06

Mark Forsyth "The Etymologicon".

Continuing on the origin of the English language, this book from Mark Forsyth is an absolute kaleidoscope of randomly linked words, that somehow all fit together in sequence after sequence of brilliantly researched and absolutely fascinating detail.

Quite simply - mesmerising.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jun 2019, 23:05

About a quarter through ‘Letting Go’ by Philip Roth. I’m sure I would have finished it by now if the print were not so tiny
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jul 2019, 06:03

Elizabeth Day "How To Fail".

Started to read this yesterday and couldn't put it down. It's a wonderfully honest (in places funny, in others painful) account of failures throughout life and how you use those events to your advantage.

It doesn't sound very exciting but it really is!