New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: New now reading

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 May 2019, 19:18

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I’m reading H for Hawk which has some beautiful writing. I’m niggled though by a constant sense that falconry is possibly cruel and it’s preventing me from connecting with it as I would like to.

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 May 2019, 11:52

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 May 2019, 19:59

The Hanged Man - Don Bapst
An excellent interesting, well written book built around the origin of the Tarot cards. It's been quite a page turner. I know very little about the Tarot but recommend the book.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 May 2019, 20:19

Only just started this but it already looks to be a fascinating insight into how land was originally acquired in England, how the law has been amended over the centuries to make it incredibly difficult to actually trace who owns what - and why those that own it really don't want you to know they do....and the influence (and wealth) it attracts.
Not everyone is an artist but everyone is a fucking critic.
On mellow blue, birds curve and glide Through shadows of grief she slides
This is where we walked This is where we swam Take our picture here Take a souvenir

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2019, 09:30

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 May 2019, 09:07

Got a bit bogged down with the "Who Owns England" book above (it's good but quite heavy going in places) so decided to delve into something a little more 'upbeat'.

And am I glad a did! A quite brilliantly amusing book about the 'tricks of the trade' or, more accurately, the 'figures of rhetoric'. The author lists by chapter all the different literary devices and explains the rules of the technique - and then details its usage in classic works and contemporary works as well.

So if you want to know what an Epanalepsis is (repetition after intervening words), and how to use it.... or a Prolepsis (starting sentences using repetition), and a perfect example..... this is absolutely the right book for you. And what's more, you'll find yourself in tears of laughter at the explanation.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 23 May 2019, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Not everyone is an artist but everyone is a fucking critic.
On mellow blue, birds curve and glide Through shadows of grief she slides
This is where we walked This is where we swam Take our picture here Take a souvenir

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 23 May 2019, 09:24

Diamond Dog wrote:

Cue unfunny remark from "Clive Gash"

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 23 May 2019, 11:10

Powehi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Cue unfunny remark from "Clive Gash"

Cue second unfunny remark by "Clive Gash" about my apparently being feuryhk

Robert

Postby Robert » 24 May 2019, 13:20

I started to read this on the strength of a review in the New Yorker. The man's writing style is not very engaging I must say but the stories are fascinating.

It is starting with a woman(?) called Jemima Jackson who died from fever on 5th October 1776, to arise from death 6 days later with the announcement that Jemima had died and that her body had been requisitioned by God for no less holy a purpose than the salvation of mankind. From then on, she did not recognize family anymore and refused to listen to any other names than 'Public Universal Friend', ' The All-Friend' ' Friend of Sinners' and' The Comforter'.

A number of others are described with the last one in the row being Jim Jones and his Peoples Temple.