New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Mar 2019, 09:45

^ Those look really interesting. Must remember to look out for them. "^" obviously indicating previous page.

Anyway, now reading:

Which I'm worried will turn into too much of an Angela's Ashes style melodrama. It's an absolute doorstop of a novel, fairly miserable so far, and it's not even tackled its main theme of Alzheimer's disease yet.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Mar 2019, 10:22

Struggling a bit with this. Lots of "he was taking loads of coke and having sex with so-and-so", not enough on what was really in his head and what inspired the music. Unless all the music was inspired by taking loads of coke and having sex with so-and-so. And a lot of the major events and records are brushed past and not really considered, or mentioned out of chronological order: for example, there's absolutely nothing about when 'Space Oddity' hit even though you'd expect that having a first big single and getting famous for the first time would be worth discussing a bit.

I guess you can get most of that from a conventional biography, just a lot of this feels dull and salacious. I don't really need 500 pages of gossip, no matter if it's from first-hand talking heads who were there at the time.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 14 Mar 2019, 12:42

... though actually it gets more involving once you get past the COKE AND SEX years* and away from his peak period, oddly enough.

The Roger Moore anecdote gave me a laugh on the metro this morning.

*OK, those were actually 1970-1995 or something but mainly the mid-70s
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 18 Mar 2019, 02:32

On to book 4. This new Flashman series is a winner!
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Mar 2019, 17:42

This edition, as it happens. Four bucks, what the hell - these guys deliver.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.