in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Geezee

Re: New now reading

Postby Geezee » 14 Aug 2017, 09:28

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Grey Error wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
I loved it -- especially his crazy Haiti hiatus in the 1980s

That was INSANE. I was crying with laughter.

Trynka's Bowie bio is a good companion.

I just finished the Iggy bio - really perfect summer reading, and I'll move onto the Bowie bio as well - as you say it seems to make for a good companion piece. Someone else mentioned (regarding the Bowie bio) that Trynka was strangely mute on the subject of the actual music - and I found this very much to be the case for the Iggy bio as well. He mentions that Fun House is one of the best albums of all time many times - but never explains why or what specifically. To the extent that he examines the music, he spends one paragraph on the debut album talking about where each riff came from - which actually I found quite interesting as I didn't know any of them (for example that some of them came from The Byrds, which hadn't connected with me before at all). I'd have liked more of that, and while he is good at grappling with the Iggy versus Jim Osterberg conflicts and has researched his life admirably, there are very occasions where we actually hear Jim/Iggy's own voice - interviews etc - which makes him seem quite remote.

Probably my biggest qualm otherwise is the lack of insight gleaned on Ron Asheton. Yes, it's a bio on Iggy, but Trynka repeatedly mentions that the key to understanding Iggy is to understand Ron - but then he never proceeds to examine Ron in any meaningful way. For example, I've always found Ron's fascination with nazism to be difficult to deal with - and goes very contrary to the "gentle" image that he generally had (versus the more demonic James Williamson). Trynka essentially dismisses it as harmless fun - and makes jokes at how Ron kindly refrained from wearing one of his gestapo uniforms at Iggy's first wedding to a jewish girl (and wore a German army one instead, or something like that). But even the recent Stooges doc gleans some more interesting insight into this than Trynka does (which is pretty damning considering a documentary only has an hour or so to cover it's territory) - it makes the connection between this fascination and the Ashetons' father (which still doesn't really explain it, but at least it opens a door to understanding it).

Sometimes find the jokey tone about underage sx to be difficult to deal with - it's a difficult subject, and should be handled as such. But otherwise, very well-researched and written (sometimes needed tighter editing - Danny Sugarman gets weirdly introduced twice).
Last edited by Geezee on 14 Aug 2017, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 14 Aug 2017, 10:10

Just finished two soul biogs this week.
A great Wilson Pickett book by Tony Fletcher. I loved his previous book on Keith Moon (Dear Boy), and so was excited to see him tackle Pickett. It's a really good book. He tackles Pickett warts and all, and gives a very fair and honest account of the man, not shirking on his dark side. While obviously a fan, this doesn't read as a fanboy fawning, and gives a good critical assessment of his work. The chapters describing the Fame sessions are absolutely top notch - some of the best writing about music creation, capturing the excitement of the music that you rarely find in other books.
Apparently he's working on a Solomon Burke biog next, so really looking forward to that...

Second one was the also recently published biog by Jonathon Gould on Otis
The approach taken here is a more academic one, with a rich telling of history, politics and the south. While in many books, this scene-setting provides a backdrop, Gould here manages to contextualise everything in the context of his life and career, particularly his dealings with his white management. While an unabashed Otis fan, he provides a real critical eye to the sacred cow of Stax. I love Stax and have read umpteen books on the label, but this is one of the few which looks at them with a colder eye, rather than being enthralled by the music and legend. For a short life and music career, coupled with a lack of printed interviews with Otis himself to work from, this is an excellent, excellent book.

Really enjoyed them both.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Aug 2017, 11:30

K wrote:
^^^^^ great post. Thank you. wrote:Russell's 'A History of Western Philosophy' which has type so tiny that I can't see it in a dark room, which is my fabourite place to read. At this rate I'll be reading it on the shitter and finishing it in 2019.

A brilliant piece of work. Although I think it was written right at the ned of WW 2 so he is a bit down on Nietzsche but his work on the Greek philosophers and the modern philosophers is brilliant.

I hear differing opinions on that one, from people who studied philosophy, that Leibniz was really the only philosopher that Russell was genuinely an expert on, and that some of the profiles of the other philosophers were scratchy at best. Personally, as a unschooled know-nothing, it seemed to me that the between the Greeks and the enlightenment, there wasn't an awful lot of advancement of thought, a philosopher's time was mostly spent dancing around Christian dogma. I did find it a bit of a slog, it has to be said.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Aug 2017, 11:31

Sorry if there were any spoilers there.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 14 Aug 2017, 11:42

A brilliant book.

I have just finished this:

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 14 Aug 2017, 14:00

What's On..in Norwich.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Aug 2017, 20:54

neville harp wrote:What's On..in Norwich.

Got to be pants - or not? ;)

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 15 Aug 2017, 15:32

Positive Passion wrote:A brilliant book.

'Relationship-Driven Classroom Practise'

It's frowned upon isn't it?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Aug 2017, 11:12

Just started this little piece of light entertainment...

It's a huge biography, split into three *acts''.. Oppenheimer in his formative years, the 'nuclear years' and then the fall from grace.

So far, it's well researched and beautifully written.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 23 Aug 2017, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Aug 2017, 21:07

Been on holiday in Spain for a week, and as such have hit the airport fiction with a vengeance. Finished Ben Okri's odd magic realist Booker winner, The Famished Road, and then set about:

Michael Connelly - The Lincoln Lawyer - Easily the best thing I read while away. It's cheesy crime fiction, but with a sense of style and a feeling that there has been a genuine attempt to research, understand and capture the working methods of the jobbing defense lawyer. I'd have said the plot was unrealistic, if it wasn't for everything else I read this week...

A. M. Homes - Music for Torching - A pretty unpleasant 'satire' on modern suburban life, which never really gave me a way into any of the characters, who were all fairly revolting and paper-thin. The ending is one of the most left-field random conclusions to a book ever, a desperate attempt to be shocking.

Pierre Lemaitre - Alex - The most barking mad thing I've read in a while, what is it with French crime fiction? Almost in Fred Vargas territory for lunacy. The first third of the book is just an entire misdirection to introduce the villain as a victim, the second section following the villain on a mad killing spree, the third another bit of misdirection with a genuinely clever twist. And the police (nominally the main characters) have practically nothing to do with the resolution. Utter nonsense, but very readable.

Mark Billingham - Buried - Almost as silly as ^that one, but in a fairly pedestrian way. Cop who doesn't play by the rules stumbles across a confusing conspiracy regarding a kidnapped child, and everyone who appears on any page is either guilty, dead, or both.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Aug 2017, 09:38

Believe me, the major problem with that book is in no way knowing something of the plot beforehand.

Anyway, now being all cultured n' shit (one out of two ain't bad) now I'm back home:

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Aug 2017, 17:10

Just finished -

John Burrow - History of Histories - A magisterial account of the history of, well, history through analysis of the topic from Herodotus and Thucydides all the way down to Carlyle, Macauley and the 20th century. Unashamedly Anglophone but quite brilliant with it.

Reading

John Updike - The Centaur - The master.

A biography of Thomas De Quincey - prior to my long assault on American literature, I thought I'd read about an author who was hugely influential on Poe.

Philip Hardie - Intro to Ovid's Metamorphoses - Last year of my degree in October and I'm doing some groundwork on the major topic.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Aug 2017, 07:45

K wrote:What is your degree, Toby. Is it Latin or something more general? I would like to study Latin and Greek one day.

Classics. My last module is Greek and Roman Mythology.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 24 Aug 2017, 08:41

K wrote:I just popped in Waterstones to buy a bookmark and came away with Stephen King's The Stand, which I've been meaning to read for 30 years.

You were going to actually purchase a bookmark? For yourself?!

Old receipts, bits of tissue, torn-off menus etc suffice at Chez Fonz
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 24 Aug 2017, 08:52

The bourgeoisie.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Aug 2017, 09:07

Toby wrote:Reading

John Updike - The Centaur - The master.

I keep meaning to go back to Updike. I read the first three Rabbit books a while back, and some short stories a couple of years ago, but found his tendency to use obtuse language - like Martin Amis - irritating.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 24 Aug 2017, 09:10

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Aug 2017, 10:35

//..ooOOoo..\\ wrote:
I keep meaning to go back to Updike. I read the first three Rabbit books a while back, and some short stories a couple of years ago, but found his tendency to use obtuse language - like Martin Amis - irritating.

I don't see that. I just love his adjectives and the flow of his sentences - there's a fluid nature to them that I rarely see in other writers.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 24 Aug 2017, 10:44

Bookmarked.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Aug 2017, 10:53

Toby wrote:
//..ooOOoo..\\ wrote:

I don't see that.

well of COURSE you don't! :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Nextdoorland”