The Newbie Introduction Thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3169
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Dec 2016, 08:54

HumanFrailty wrote:Hi, I am HumanFrailty from the former Refuge from the IMDB Music Board.

Woah, another long-lost soul. Soon we will be able to overthrow the prog overlords that run this place.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

HumanFrailty
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Dec 2016, 07:34

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby HumanFrailty » 17 Dec 2016, 10:01

Darkness_Fish wrote:
HumanFrailty wrote:Hi, I am HumanFrailty from the former Refuge from the IMDB Music Board.

Woah, another long-lost soul. Soon we will be able to overthrow the prog overlords that run this place.


Yess, but how do I get full posting privileges?

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44778
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby The Prof » 17 Dec 2016, 10:48

HumanFrailty wrote:Yess, but how do I get full posting privileges?


You should have them now

HumanFrailty
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Dec 2016, 07:34

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby HumanFrailty » 17 Dec 2016, 11:05

The Prof wrote:
HumanFrailty wrote:Yess, but how do I get full posting privileges?


You should have them now


Thank you!

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 14806
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34
Location: Canadia

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Loki » 23 Dec 2016, 06:13

Darkness_Fish wrote:Soon we will be able to overthrow the prog overlords that run this place.


Image


:x




Welcome, HF.
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
Michael Andrew Lownsdale
Posts: 31
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Michael Andrew Lownsdale » 06 Jan 2017, 14:14

This place better than Digital Spy then?

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10143
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Rayge » 06 Jan 2017, 16:03

Michael Andrew Lownsdale wrote:This place better than Digital Spy then?


Better, dunno. Certainly different.
Average age of posters around the 50+ mark (I'm the oldest at 68, few if any regulars under 30), almost all of them opinionated, many of them with musical tastes stuck in the 60s and 70s, as befits a board that grew out of Mojo magazine, and several here from the beginning in 2003. Most are stupefied by the thought of new music, although there's a few professional musicians and a lot of amateurs about. And almost everyone really knows their stuff, and indeed nonsense.
A few have unfathomable grudges against one another but flame wars are rare. Most regulars are British, but there are plenty of Murrikans and smatterings of Aussies (and nearby islanders), Canadians, and people from Continental Europe. Most are sane and reasonable, and the others more interesting.
No restrictions on language, but if you give it you have to take it, and generally speaking you'll get short shrift from fellow posters with 'hate speech'.
There's a social aspect too, with posters regularly getting together for Jolly-Ups (piss-ups with another name). And the board has produced four or five marriages, too.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Michael Andrew Lownsdale
Posts: 31
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Michael Andrew Lownsdale » 06 Jan 2017, 19:06

Thank you rayge! I look forward to getting stuck in.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58541
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jan 2017, 21:32

Rayge wrote:
Michael Andrew Lownsdale wrote:This place better than Digital Spy then?


Better, dunno. Certainly different.
Average age of posters around the 50+ mark (I'm the oldest at 68, few if any regulars under 30), almost all of them opinionated, many of them with musical tastes stuck in the 60s and 70s, as befits a board that grew out of Mojo magazine, and several here from the beginning in 2003. Most are stupefied by the thought of new music, although there's a few professional musicians and a lot of amateurs about. And almost everyone really knows their stuff, and indeed nonsense.
A few have unfathomable grudges against one another but flame wars are rare. Most regulars are British, but there are plenty of Murrikans and smatterings of Aussies (and nearby islanders), Canadians, and people from Continental Europe. Most are sane and reasonable, and the others more interesting.
No restrictions on language, but if you give it you have to take it, and generally speaking you'll get short shrift from fellow posters with 'hate speech'.
There's a social aspect too, with posters regularly getting together for Jolly-Ups (piss-ups with another name). And the board has produced four or five marriages, too.


And you'll go very far and make a fast friend if you pay and sign me up for the corn dog or patty melt of the month club.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
K
Posts: 6158
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby K » 21 Jan 2017, 09:23

Rayge wrote: (I'm the oldest at 68...)


Is this correct? I suppose of the regular posters,but I'd have thought there were a couple of others nudging around similar if not greater, ages.
Interesting.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10143
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Rayge » 21 Jan 2017, 09:49

K wrote:
Rayge wrote: (I'm the oldest at 68...)


Is this correct? I suppose of the regular posters,but I'd have thought there were a couple of others nudging around similar if not greater, ages.
Interesting.


I think so. I am two years older than Footy, for a start.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
K
Posts: 6158
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby K » 21 Jan 2017, 10:09

Sounds plausible. Pete the pick doesn't post often- he may be older.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Feb 2017, 15:05

Former refugee Nozdrev here. Hello to all I know and to those I don't.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 562
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby joels344 » 06 Feb 2017, 17:56

Former IMDb Music Board poster and Refuge regular, now back in action on the BCB.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10143
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2017, 18:32

PresMuffley wrote:Former refugee Nozdrev here. Hello to all I know and to those I don't.



Hey, Noz, great to see you! Make yrself at home and catch up on a few thousand of my photos...
http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 1&t=119589
:D
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10143
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2017, 18:34

joels344 wrote:Former IMDb Music Board poster and Refuge regular, now back in action on the BCB.


Hey Joel! It's really getting to be like old home week around these parts.

Have you heard anything of Gabe (msg)?
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Feb 2017, 18:52

Rayge wrote:Hey, Noz, great to see you! Make yrself at home and catch up on Get few thousand of my photos...
http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 1&t=119589
:D


What's up, Ray? It's been a while, man. It might take me a bit to get used to this board's format - seems a little weird on my mobile at the moment - but I'm really glad to see you here. I will check your photos when the opportunity presents itself. Promise.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Dayodead
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 May 2015, 21:39

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby Dayodead » 06 Feb 2017, 21:25

I've recently returned from the imdb hinterlands and find I need to have all my posts "Approved" by administrators before they post (???) When does this stop...?....

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 562
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby joels344 » 06 Feb 2017, 21:52

Rayge wrote:
joels344 wrote:Former IMDb Music Board poster and Refuge regular, now back in action on the BCB.


Hey Joel! It's really getting to be like old home week around these parts.

Have you heard anything of Gabe (msg)?


Hey, it's been a few years, but hopefully all is going well with you! I haven't heard anything from Gabe lately.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25436
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Newbie Introduction Thread

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Feb 2017, 22:12

Dayodead wrote:I've recently returned from the imdb hinterlands and find I need to have all my posts "Approved" by administrators before they post (???) When does this stop...?....


I'm not 100% certain I have this right, but I believe it's set to approve your first five posts. After that, you're in.

I've been approving any that obviously have related content, so as long as you're not a spammer - and believe me, we get plenty of those - I wouldn't worry about it. :D

I would like to use this opportunity to encourage all the IMDB refugees to check in here - we're interested!
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hippopotamus and 3 guests