Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby The Write Profile » 10 Jun 2018, 00:19

As first internationals of the season go, that was a pretty good performance by the All Blacks, although the 52-11 scoreline flattered them somewhat. Indeed, it might have been a different game if the referee didn't fall for Ryan Crotty's blatant playacting which saw a French player yellow-carded, likewise, Sam Cane should have been sinbinned for a clear high tackle not long afterwards. Taking those into account, there was still much to admire in the ABs play in the second half, which was expansive and at times inventive, and their setpieces, particularly their lineouts and scrums, were mostly impressive. Reiko Iaone and Damien Mackenzie were particularly explosive, while Cody Taylor played less like a prop than a midfielder and Ben Smith and Ryan Crotty overcame their first half scratchiness to command the backline in the second half. It's hard to get an idea as to how good this ABs side is, as this is clearly a second-string French side, but there was enough in the second half performance to suggest early signs were encouraging. The only worry is the fact that Beauden Barrett's place kicking was off again. It didn't matter for this match because they scored so many tries, but if it continues like this then it could cost them in closer matches.

Meanwhile, Australia's defensive performance against Ireland should be commended. There was enough there to suggest that they could be more competitive this season, which is good.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Jun 2018, 00:36

The Write Profile wrote:As first internationals of the season go, that was a pretty good performance by the All Blacks, although the 52-11 scoreline flattered them somewhat. Indeed, it might have been a different game if the referee didn't fall for Ryan Crotty's blatant playacting which saw a French player yellow-carded, likewise, Sam Cane should have been sinbinned for a clear high tackle not long afterwards. Taking those into account, there was still much to admire in the ABs play in the second half, which was expansive and at times inventive, and their setpieces, particularly their lineouts and scrums, were mostly impressive. Reiko Iaone and Damien Mackenzie were particularly explosive, while Cody Taylor played less like a prop than a midfielder and Ben Smith and Ryan Crotty overcame their first half scratchiness to command the backline in the second half. It's hard to get an idea as to how good this ABs side is, as this is clearly a second-string French side, but there was enough in the second half performance to suggest early signs were encouraging. The only worry is the fact that Beauden Barrett's place kicking was off again. It didn't matter for this match because they scored so many tries, but if it continues like this then it could cost them in closer matches.

Meanwhile, Australia's defensive performance against Ireland should be commended. There was enough there to suggest that they could be more competitive this season, which is good.

The SA England game sounded like a humdinger for the neutral, 42-39, perhaps their respective defenses could usefully spend time watching the Australia Ireland game
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Jun 2018, 15:43

My only quibble with England vs South Africa was what the fuck was going on after the Itoje try?
For a start, I have never known the video ref rather than the onfield ref to be the arbiter of whether something gets reviewed as happened in this case, thereby overruling the on-field ref's judgement. Secondly, the timing (stopping he game when Psycho was about to kick) was extremely odd. And thirdly, the given reason for his concern was whether Itoje was offside, which was clearly total bullshit. In a game when so many things are marginal or questionable (such as offside, knock-ons and forward passes) that just about everything could be questioned, there are few occasions when something is conspicuously 100% beyond doubt. Yet that was one of them: not even the slightest hint of a whiff of a suspicion of offside, or coming in at the side. Reviewing it on the basis of a possible offside stinks to high heaven.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 12 Jun 2018, 17:41

Nikki Gradual wrote:My only quibble with England vs South Africa was what the fuck was going on after the Itoje try?
For a start, I have never known the video ref rather than the onfield ref to be the arbiter of whether something gets reviewed as happened in this case, thereby overruling the on-field ref's judgement. Secondly, the timing (stopping he game when Psycho was about to kick) was extremely odd. And thirdly, the given reason for his concern was whether Itoje was offside, which was clearly total bullshit. In a game when so many things are marginal or questionable (such as offside, knock-ons and forward passes) that just about everything could be questioned, there are few occasions when something is conspicuously 100% beyond doubt. Yet that was one of them: not even the slightest hint of a whiff of a suspicion of offside, or coming in at the side. Reviewing it on the basis of a possible offside stinks to high heaven.

Does sound odd the RFU have to lay down the law on this one about what the video ref is and isn't allowed to do, as far as I know he can only direct the refs attention to instances of foul play rather than technical infringements. where would that stop, reff'ing the scrum from a video box?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Jun 2018, 11:01

Once again a match that could have been interesting was turned into run out due to an early French red card.

Hope the other big matches to day are a bit more of a contest.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 16 Jun 2018, 11:33

Copehead wrote:Once again a match that could have been interesting was turned into run out due to an early French red card.

It's a tough one, to the letter of the law, that was a straight Red, but in the context of the match it pretty much killed off the contest. Mind you, the ABs were pretty shapeless for much of the match, it showed how dependant they were on Beauden Barrett's playmaking skills. A pretty dire match all told, although France deserve some credit for not throwing in the towel after the Red card: they were enthusiastic if unstructured on defence, while the ABs were only fitfully effective on attack. Meh. Flush the dunny and move on, as Steve Hansen is wont to say after matches like this.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Jun 2018, 13:09

The Write Profile wrote:
Copehead wrote:Once again a match that could have been interesting was turned into run out due to an early French red card.

It's a tough one, to the letter of the law, that was a straight Red, but in the context of the match it pretty much killed off the contest. Mind you, the ABs were pretty shapeless for much of the match, it showed how dependant they were on Beauden Barrett's playmaking skills. A pretty dire match all told, although France deserve some credit for not throwing in the towel after the Red card: they were enthusiastic if unstructured on defence, while the ABs were only fitfully effective on attack. Meh. Flush the dunny and move on, as Steve Hansen is wont to say after matches like this.

Don't think the French have any reason to feel hard done by over that, he tipped a flying player onto his head, it was red, it was stupid, but it is difficult in those situations

The trouble is with Barrett is his place kicking can be very ordinary and yet the ABs look fairly dependent on him to be brilliant rather than workman like and efficient.

The Ireland Australia match was better, Ireland really blew Australia away in reaction to last week's tepid performance, Australia did well to make it close but were never really in the game because of terrible discipline. A lot of that is down to intense Irish attack though. They aren't the flashest side but they are very direct, a bit like Bok teams of old, but on their day very effective as they were today.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Jun 2018, 13:31

Having said that Ireland look as reliant on Sexton as New Zealand are on Barrett and he is no going to be around much longer.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Jun 2018, 10:37

So Julian Savea is off to France. I suppose that's inevitable, for whatever reason he's no longer part of Hansen's plans for RWC 2019 and his Super Rugby form has been indifferent this season. But it's a shame that such an explosive player would fade from view so quickly. His performance in the RWC 2015 was up there with Lomu in terms of sheer power and game-changing speed, I don't think I'll ever forget the way he monstered the French in that quarter final. Unlike Lomu, he was also worth his place in the side as a defender too. However, he struck me as being one of those players who has confidence issues, Hansen once described Savea having a "cluttered" mind, which I took, rightly or wrongly, as an inference or euphemism that he suffers from bouts of depression.

And Fall's red card has been reversed by World Rugby (formerly IRB). What an absolute shambles. Either we decide that all aerial tip tackling is a straight red or we don't but to undermine a referee who actually followed it to the letter of the law (unlike the first test, where Cane should have got a red) seems a chaotic to say the least.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 18 Jun 2018, 11:38

The Write Profile wrote:So Julian Savea is off to France. I suppose that's inevitable, for whatever reason he's no longer part of Hansen's plans for RWC 2019 and his Super Rugby form has been indifferent this season. But it's a shame that such an explosive player would fade from view so quickly. His performance in the RWC 2015 was up there with Lomu in terms of sheer power and game-changing speed, I don't think I'll ever forget the way he monstered the French in that quarter final. Unlike Lomu, he was also worth his place in the side as a defender too. However, he struck me as being one of those players who has confidence issues, Hansen once described Savea having a "cluttered" mind, which I took, rightly or wrongly, as an inference or euphemism that he suffers from bouts of depression.

And Fall's red card has been reversed by World Rugby (formerly IRB). What an absolute shambles. Either we decide that all aerial tip tackling is a straight red or we don't but to undermine a referee who actually followed it to the letter of the law (unlike the first test, where Cane should have got a red) seems a chaotic to say the least.

I thought the red was justified under the current law that the player on the ground has to take account of the safety of the player in the air, I don't know where that ruling leaves things but it seems a bit odd, are they saying he had no chance to do anything differently to change the outcome?

Fall had his eye on the ball but he made no attempt to jump for it really and must have been aware that a New Zealander was coming in to to take it.
It seems at least careless and I thought that was enough. He was obviously genuinely challenging for the ball as he watched it the whole way but that does not mean you are oblivious to all else happening. I thought it was a normal red card under recent law interpretations and I am surprised.

Having said that I am not sure if I agreed with the original change in interpretation which gives the person who jumps highest a license to be reckless with their own safety and those they are jumping into.

Can of worms...........

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 20 Jun 2018, 17:56

European cups draw for next year

Heiniken
Pool 1 Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse, Bath
Pool 2 Castres, Exeter, Munster, Gloucester
Pool 3 Saracens, Glasgow, Lyon, Cardiff Blues
Pool 4 Scarlets, Racing 92, Leicester, Ulster
Pool 5 Montpellier, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Toulon
European Challenge Cup draw
Pool 1 Northampton, Clermont Auvergne, Dragons, Timisoara Saracens
Pool 2 Pau, Ospreys, Worcester, Stade Francais
Pool 3 Sale Sharks, Connacht, Bordeaux-Bègles, Perpignan
Pool 4 La Rochelle, Zebre, Bristol, Enisei-STM
Pool 5 Benetton, Harlequins, Agen, Grenoble.