Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Feb 2018, 12:24

Copehead wrote:Image :(

See, I would have been right to give it!

Seriously, even though that looks pretty cut and dried*, it is so close that no one picture or video angle that I have seen is absolutely conclusive when considered among the many others, although several appear to be conclusive when taken on their own.
The point is that it was in the 23rd minute; regardless of the injustice, who knows what would have happened if it had been given. You cannot say that it cost Wales the game more than the squandered chances in the last 10 minutes.

* And it really really does.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Feb 2018, 14:01

And so it goes on...
Now they are saying right decision for the wrong reason and that Steff Evans knocked on. It's true that you can see his finger bending back showing that he touched the ball, but I've no idea how you are meant to tell if it went forward or not.
And this is why I would almost rather get rid of video reffing. They get the most obvious stuff wrong as it is, and how far back to you go? If it was done properly an 80 minute game would involve about four hours of video analysis.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Feb 2018, 15:07

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Copehead wrote:Image :(

See, I would have been right to give it!

Seriously, even though that looks pretty cut and dried*, it is so close that no one picture or video angle that I have seen is absolutely conclusive when considered among the many others, although several appear to be conclusive when taken on their own.
The point is that it was in the 23rd minute; regardless of the injustice, who knows what would have happened if it had been given. You cannot say that it cost Wales the game more than the squandered chances in the last 10 minutes.

* And it really really does.

It certainly didn't cost Wales the game because they were beaten by the stronger, better side.

Wales had 2 clear cut chances one fell to a phenomenal tackle by Underwood and one to the TMO bottling a pretty obvious decision, because even if he wasn't 100% certain surely you have to go with the attacking side.

England had more chances and converted 2 of them clinically.

But it grates when you have a TMO looking at the coverage and he still makes the wrong decision.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Feb 2018, 15:08

Nikki Gradual wrote:And so it goes on...
Now they are saying right decision for the wrong reason and that Steff Evans knocked on. It's true that you can see his finger bending back showing that he touched the ball, but I've no idea how you are meant to tell if it went forward or not.
And this is why I would almost rather get rid of video reffing. They get the most obvious stuff wrong as it is, and how far back to you go? If it was done properly an 80 minute game would involve about four hours of video analysis.

That's just clutching at straws there is no definitive picture of his finger touching the ball, there is a definitive picture of Anscombe touching down.

Again for the sake of attacking rugby the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking side.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2018, 15:12

Nikki Gradual wrote:Shame, because the game showed huge promise at the outset before it became a slugfest.

Thank God someone said it.

The game encapsulated everything I dislike about the game these days - it was like watching Rugby League but with less speed, too many players and so many stoppages (which is bizarre coming from an NFL fan, I know) I just sat there thinking "PER-LEEEZE... just get fucking on with it!". For about 65 minutes.

Why does every scrum have to take 3 minutes?

Why does every lineout have to take 90 seconds?

Why does every kick for the posts seem to take 3 fucking hours?
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Feb 2018, 15:37

Copehead wrote: there is no definitive picture of his finger touching the ball

There is actually, at least as definitive as any single still claiming to prove that Anscombe touched down.

See if this works: https://twitter.com/mattyjwills/status/962615635321737217

12-13secs in.

As I say, it does nothing to prove that it went forward, but it does show he touched it, which you said didn't exist. And there are hundreds of stills and clips out there all purporting to prove different things, none of which is conclusive when taken in the context of all the others. This is precisely why, as stated earlier, I am not believing any single photo or screengrab whatever it appears to show.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Feb 2018, 16:39

Enjoyable game first half but the skill level is so much lower than England/Wales, and probably Ireland as well.

Anyone who got all all uppity about Gatland not taking Finn Russell on a Lions tour should be made to watch that half on a loop until they admit he was right, once should be enough, bloody awful stuff too often.

Teddy Thomas looks the biz

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Feb 2018, 16:42

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Copehead wrote: there is no definitive picture of his finger touching the ball

There is actually, at least as definitive as any single still claiming to prove that Anscombe touched down.

See if this works: https://twitter.com/mattyjwills/status/962615635321737217

12-13secs in.

As I say, it does nothing to prove that it went forward, but it does show he touched it, which you said didn't exist. And there are hundreds of stills and clips out there all purporting to prove different things, none of which is conclusive when taken in the context of all the others. This is precisely why, as stated earlier, I am not believing any single photo or screengrab whatever it appears to show.

If it does hit his finger it hits his leg next so surely that is just a kick forward anyway.

I still maintain that the photo is 100% clear evidence that Anscombe touched down, I don't see how you can look at it any other way in honesty.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Feb 2018, 16:54

The TMO decision is laughable - everyone in the room that I saw it in even called it right in real time and the replay showed it clearly and obviously. It’s an inexplicable decision and in a game that was that close it’s hugely disappointing. England maybe marginally better.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 11 Feb 2018, 16:56

Oh, thank God for that.
Ill think about some analysis later when my heart rate and blood pressure subside.
After the progress made over the last 18 months, to see that evaporate in two losses would have been too much to bear.
Bless the weather.......Image

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 11 Feb 2018, 17:14

And am I right in thiinking that the TMO did not get called up once? Quite unusual.
Bless the weather.......Image

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2018, 09:14

andymacandy wrote:Oh, thank God for that.
Ill think about some analysis later when my heart rate and blood pressure subside.
After the progress made over the last 18 months, to see that evaporate in two losses would have been too much to bear.

Strange game. Great first half, France seemed pretty in control until the last 20 minutes they seemed to run out of steam entirely. Not sure why they took Machenaud off, he seemed to be running the game quite confidently.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Feb 2018, 09:44

andymacandy wrote:Oh, thank God for that.

It's amazing the difference Laidlaw makes. They did much better in the period without him than I expected they would to be honest, but he just adds that mental and physical steel and calm assurance. And reads the game so simply and so well.
They needed that result because that was a poor French team playing pretty poorly (Teddy Thomas' solo efforts are making them look far better than they are at the minute), but I imagine that psychologically that was massive for the Scots. I pity whoever is playing them next. Oh...

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2018, 11:08

Think the French have been ok - their 7, 9 and 12 are great (and a pretty mean front row), and don't think there is anyone in the 6 Nations who is better than them around the ruck (only really Ireland, but France were better on that front last week). They desperately miss a 10, and have done for some time. Confidence is clearly a huge problem - and I can see them getting nervous against Italy which they "should" win. I can see them lose to Italy and then beat England.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Feb 2018, 11:23

Geezee wrote:I can see them lose to Italy and then beat England.

That would be the French way, the contrary bastards.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2018, 11:43

Video reffing doesn't eliminate human error, as we saw on Saturday, but it surely reduces it. If the proportion of incorrect decisions is reduced by video refereeing, and I think it almost certainly is, then that has to be a good thing for the game and the fairness of the result.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2018, 11:47

When are they going to sort out the rules for the scrum btw? I can't think of any other set piece in any other sport that so often ends up in an unresolved mess. It's ridiculous when you think about it. And it slows the game right up

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2018, 11:49

Geezee wrote:Think the French have been ok - their 7, 9 and 12 are great (and a pretty mean front row), and don't think there is anyone in the 6 Nations who is better than them around the ruck (only really Ireland, but France were better on that front last week). They desperately miss a 10, and have done for some time. Confidence is clearly a huge problem - and I can see them getting nervous against Italy which they "should" win. I can see them lose to Italy and then beat England.

I think they are a shadow of the country they once were, they used to play with so much flair and running endeavour.

I didn't think the scrum half had a good game against Scotland, far too slow at dispatching the ball at the breakdown.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2018, 11:57

The French haven't played like that for god knows how many years (20?) and either way is a bit of a myth. And they were far more successful in this century as a pretty mean, tough team. Every country has periods when they play with a bit more flair versus more organised/disciplined. England, more known for being pretty conservative, were under Guscott/Underwoods probably the most flair of any NH team I've seen.

I thought Machenaud was MoM until he went off but anyway. :D
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 12 Feb 2018, 19:22

The Modernist wrote:When are they going to sort out the rules for the scrum btw? I can't think of any other set piece in any other sport that so often ends up in an unresolved mess. It's ridiculous when you think about it. And it slows the game right up
w

Well it isn’t really is it, it is 16 men pushing as hard as they can at a low angle, of course things are going to happen

People who don’t like scrums should really watch rugby league, they’d love it, all the running around none of the pushing and shoving

I love the physical contest of a scrum, it takes balls of steel to play in the front row at a high level

Once the scrum has been got rid of or de-powered rugby union is finished, people just need to learn what is going on and then enjoy it.