Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 13TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 10 Jul 2016, 05:32

The Red Heifer wrote:The conference system is a joke, it should be a straight table.

Financially impossible.

Aussies and Saffers aren't going to watch a New Zealand league.

they aren't going to watch a few one sided end of season games in great numbers

All part of the slow demise of SH rugby, ironically heralded by a RWC where no NH teams got to the semis.

But up here Rugby is expanding and in rude financial health and gobbling up most of your decent players who haven't got an immediate hope of a cap.

Strange really, but Australians only ever seem to turn up for a winning side and South African teams spread declining talent too thinly when they have dozens of top quality players waiting out getting Irish, French or Scottish qualification because of quotas for the SpringBok and super franchises.

New Zealand is just New Zealand operating on different level

One wonders how long people will tune in to watch their sides get spanked by a Kiwi Super franchise every few weeks?
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 10 Jul 2016, 09:28

I don't know I tuned in on Friday night specifically to watch the Reds get their arses caved in :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 16 Jul 2016, 10:31

That Chiefs vs Highlanders match was absolutely top draw; and not just because of the result but the sheer pent up intensity of the match. At no stage did the pace let up and there were probably a good six or so other opportunities but for the defensive skill of both sides.
The NZ Conference is so far ahead of the competition it's ridiculous.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 16 Jul 2016, 10:53

That first half was probably the best half of rugby I have seen! Top defense, both teams. How these guys are still standing after those hits I don't know...

In response, the Force- Brumbies just looks listless...but it is only 6 minutes in.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 22 Jul 2016, 10:54

Well that was a turgid slog of a match compared to last week's efforts, and the last five minutes were utterly nervewracking, but you've got to hand it to the Highlanders- they won their quarterfinal on the road, and look like they've got enough resolve to go all the way.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Jul 2016, 03:36

Looking forward to those semis! Who have you got, Matt?

The Canes look pretty unbeatable on home soil but Waikato have been one of the few to topple them there. Think that eh Hurricanes may just have a bit too much this time. And I hope the Highlanders can deal with the Lions (who really have been the dark horse in this competition)- either way, a Canes- or Chiefs-clash with Otago for a final will be a godsend!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 31 Jul 2016, 08:09

Nice to see it isn't an all NZ affair this year. The Lions just tore the Highlanders to pieces seemingly at will but leaked tries pretty easily as well.

Coming up against a defence like the Hurricanes on their home soil should be a good match up.

Outstanding attack vs impregnable defence.

History is with home advantage and defence usually trumps attack in big games like this.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 31 Jul 2016, 08:30

I suppose it's fitting that the only SA team that actually deserved to be there is there. Of course my household was a hotbed of screaming and swearing and throwing cushions at me in anger and distress :lol: :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 27 Aug 2016, 10:32

Well, the Australian side played better than last week, but it was still slim pickings. This was a scratchy ABS performance that contained just enough moments of inspiration to win 29-9, but really the ABS dominance is becoming a routine now. The Australian team just look lost.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Aug 2016, 10:45

The Write Profile wrote:Well, the Australian side played better than last week, but it was still slim pickings. This was a scratchy ABS performance that contained just enough moments of inspiration to win 29-9, but really the ABS dominance is becoming a routine now. The Australian team just look lost.

Australia looked like they were just out to keep the score respectable this week, not that I saw the match, just the online commentaries.

Australia are a shambles, South Africa are a shambles, France are a shambles, Wales and Ireland are waining sides.

Argentina flatter to deceive; looks like it is up to England to challenge New Zealand, realistically they look like the only side with all the elements in place to do it - they have some world class players coming through, a core of experience and an excellent coaching team who are new in place and successful.

There are areas of weakness in their squad that need addressing over the next 2-3 years but they look like the only team who will live with the All Blacks in the coming years unless something drastic happens in France, Australia or South Africa.

But France haven't got the club/country thing sorted out and probably never will, their league is a retirement home for distressed ANZACs and the first port of call for disgruntled, second rate, white Bokke and SSIs. Australia do not have the playing numbers to support their SR sides and do not have the usual decent top 50 players to make them highly competitive, somehow they got it all together for the RWC before the wheels fell off again and they are back to where they were 2 years ago. South Africa are caught up in quotas, resentment and just not being that strong at the moment.

Wales are stale, the coaching set up has been in place too long but there is no one to replace them and Ireland are just not replacing their golden generation like for like.

Could be a boring few years

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 30 Aug 2016, 09:46

Copehead wrote:
The Write Profile wrote:Well, the Australian side played better than last week, but it was still slim pickings. This was a scratchy ABS performance that contained just enough moments of inspiration to win 29-9, but really the ABS dominance is becoming a routine now. The Australian team just look lost.

Australia looked like they were just out to keep the score respectable this week, not that I saw the match, just the online commentaries.

Yep, that was it, basically. The ABS weren't as polished as the previous weekend, which meant the Wallabies were able to slow things down through sheer niggle, but it wasn't exactly edifying viewing on their part. Of the Australian squad, only Genia, Pocock and Folau can hold their heads high amidst the shambles. Meanwhile, the ABs look like they've got every position covered, even the midfield isn't as hollow as one would expect, considering the absence of Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu and SBW. I guess it helps having Ben Smith at fullback, he seems to create enough room for two players.

You're right about England, I'd like to see them take it to the ABs, while next year's Lions Tour will be interesting indeed. I predict they will be more competitive than the 2005 version, although that's not saying much.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 30 Aug 2016, 12:04

The Write Profile wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Yep, that was it, basically. The ABS weren't as polished as the previous weekend, which meant the Wallabies were able to slow things down through sheer niggle, but it wasn't exactly edifying viewing on their part. Of the Australian squad, only Genia, Pocock and Folau can hold their heads high amidst the shambles. Meanwhile, the ABs look like they've got every position covered, even the midfield isn't as hollow as one would expect, considering the absence of Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu and SBW. I guess it helps having Ben Smith at fullback, he seems to create enough room for two players.

You're right about England, I'd like to see them take it to the ABs, while next year's Lions Tour will be interesting indeed. I predict they will be more competitive than the 2005 version, although that's not saying much.

The Lions will lose 3 tests to nil. It is just too difficult to get a scratch side to beat a settled international side let alone the best one in the world.

The tours are too short to get a settled touring side now, they will only ever beat sides whoo are a shambles like Australia were 3 years ago, and even then it was close until the third test

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 09 Oct 2016, 06:16

Well, the All Blacks hammered South Africa 57-15 last night, and while it could be argued that this is the weakest Bok side in several years, you really can't argue with the result, and the way the ABs absolutely piled on the misery, scoring nine tries, including four in the last ten minutes. Beauden Barrett's goal kicking might be a tad erratic, but his all-round play and vision, not to mention his speed on attack, probably make him the most versatile flyhalf in the world today (there's some competition for that role, admittedly). Meanwhile, Dane Coles continues to baffle me- he's a bulky front-row forward that somehow manages to be almost gossamer light with his passing and running game. Dagg's obviously enjoying his time on the wing, Ben Smith was as good as ever, and TJ Perenara played a good enough game to make sure the side didn't miss Aaron Smith too much. 17 wins in a row. Incredible really.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 09 Oct 2016, 09:16

The Write Profile wrote:Well, the All Blacks hammered South Africa 57-15 last night, and while it could be argued that this is the weakest Bok side in several years, you really can't argue with the result, and the way the ABs absolutely piled on the misery, scoring nine tries, including four in the last ten minutes. Beauden Barrett's goal kicking might be a tad erratic, but his all-round play and vision, not to mention his speed on attack, probably make him the most versatile flyhalf in the world today (there's some competition for that role, admittedly). Meanwhile, Dane Coles continues to baffle me- he's a bulky front-row forward that somehow manages to be almost gossamer light with his passing and running game. Dagg's obviously enjoying his time on the wing, Ben Smith was as good as ever, and TJ Perenara played a good enough game to make sure the side didn't miss Aaron Smith too much. 17 wins in a row. Incredible really.

England are teh only people who'd get close now and they aren't playing until 2018 or something so plenty of time to rack up the highest run of international wins ever.

Bit of a sad record really shows everyone else is crud.

The closest to Dane Coles is Jamie George, looks like a little tank but has the softest of hands, see his pass to put JJ in under the posts against Italy in the 6N this year, the angle he took was sublime but the pass out of the tackle whilst falling was unbelievable

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Oct 2016, 12:40

Toulon vs Saracens was one of the greatest club games I have ever seen

The first half, in particular, hit a pitch of high level rugby that only one of the top New Zealand franchises could match at club level. The interplay between backs and forwards was seamless and the skill levels stratospheric. The game was played at an incredible tempo.

It would be great to see the Saracens play the Hurricanes when both teams were at their peak, what a game that would be, I imagine one of the top New Zealand franchises would be the only sides who could match them on their day currently.

What is remarkable about the current Sarries side is not that they have beaten Toulon, a team almost entirely comprised of international stars ( if often ageing ones ) and at their home fortress, but they have done it with a young side many of whom are their academy players.

They could be dominant for years to come because the core of their team are in their early 20s. Maro Itoje is 21 for goodness sake and already obviously one of the greatest rugby players on the planet.

There were other notable results as well, the Irish provinces are on the rise again after their post RWC slump last year, with Connacht beating Toulouse.

And most gratifyingly of all Llanelli beat Sale with a display of running rugby the equal of any team on Earth, what a backline they have now, parts of their lay had the commentators shouting on air it was so good.

Sadly they are in the same pool as Sarries and toulon and they have meagre player depth, they had a pretty much full strength side out yesterday for the first time this season, but it cannot last and then they will get a beating somewhere down the line.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Oct 2016, 08:12

I was supposed to go to the Munster game yesterday.
RIP Foley, what a huge loss. I've met several members of his family (but not him), I'm lost for words. :cry:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 17 Oct 2016, 09:13

Geezee wrote:I was supposed to go to the Munster game yesterday.
RIP Foley, what a huge loss. I've met several members of his family (but not him), I'm lost for words. :cry:

You could tell everyone was shocked on the TV coverage yesterday, most of the commentators had played against him because of his young age.
You could tell there was genuine affection for him as well
Absolute tragedy and a Munster man through and through

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Oct 2016, 18:30

How good was Anthony Foley, cope?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Oct 2016, 23:27

The Great DeFector wrote:How good was Anthony Foley, cope?

62 caps for Ireland good, Munster legend, never a Lion

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Oct 2016, 13:35

Never a lion in the sense he should have been or he was a lion but you don't think he should have been?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model