Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 99TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 06 Oct 2003, 13:58

So this friday we find out just how good Australia are ( something that won't happen to the ABs until the QF with England/SA ) when they play the Pumas. This is going to be a cracker, prepare to see the wals pack eat dirt and be rescued by their backs in a narrow victory. Plenty of fisticuffs, lovely. Can't wait.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Clay Davis

Postby Clay Davis » 06 Oct 2003, 15:21

Bit late joining this thread and I can't claim to have much knowledge of the game but I thoroughly enjoyed the Six Nations and am looking forward to the start of this world cup.

It's a good day for Scots on Saturday. Versus Japan in the rugby then the Euro decider (Sorry to bring footie in on my first post).
Sheeeiiiit

Bucolic Old Sir Henry
Trufficulteur

Postby Bucolic Old Sir Henry » 06 Oct 2003, 22:01

From the Guardian's 15 things we wouldn't know if rugby hadn't been invented:

10 The name Erica Roe
The 40-inch chested bookshop assistant from Petersfield became arguably the most famous streaker in history when she ran on to the field topless during the England-Australia match at Twickenham in 1982. Her 40-second dash earned her an £8,000 fee to appear on TV and prompted England's Peter Wheeler to remark to Bill Beaumont, "Blimey, there's a bird on the pitch with your arse on her chest".

There's a music connection, too. My old colleague Neville Farmer, author of a book about XTC, was a friend of Erica's. This may mean that Andy Partridge and Erica were also friends. The mind boggles. As, indeed, did Erica's chest.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyworldcup2003/story/0,13904,1054244,00.html

Pip pip!
Limestone Hills/Hot Topic
"She had a snake for a pet, and an amulet,
And she was breeding a dwarf, but it wasn't done yet."

Earthling

Postby Earthling » 07 Oct 2003, 07:52

copehead wrote:So this friday we find out just how good Australia are ( something that won't happen to the ABs until the QF with England/SA ) when they play the Pumas. This is going to be a cracker, prepare to see the wals pack eat dirt and be rescued by their backs in a narrow victory. Plenty of fisticuffs, lovely. Can't wait.

The Pumas' coaching staff claim there'll be no biff (yeah right!), but regardless, I'd like to see them play an open backs-orientated game which they've managed to do so well in recent years.
As for the Wallies.
They're moaning about being understrength because Stirling Mortlock has gone down with a virus causing a backline reshuffle. Personally I think the reshuffle gives them better strikepower with Rogers at fullback and Matt Burke at out-centre. Only wish Nathan Grey had been given a call up. He would be devastating at in -centre in lieu of Flatley who is out of position and should be fly half instead of Stephen Larkham.
The Wobblies must shut down Argentina's counter-attack potential if they are to have any hope of winning.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 07 Oct 2003, 16:49

Martin Johnson, Richard Hill and Johnny Wilkinson are standing before God at the throne of Heaven. God looks at them and says; "before granting you a place at my side, I must first ask you what you believe in."

Addressing Johnson first he asks, "what do you believe?" Johnson looks God in the eye and states passionately, "I believe Rugby to be the food of life. Nothing else brings such unbridled joy to so many people from the grim North to the bright lights of Twickenham. I have devoted my life to bring such joy to people who stood on the terraces supporting their club."
God looks up and offers Johnson the seat to his left.

He then turns to Hill, "and you, Dicky, what do you believe?" Hill stands tall and proud, "I believe courage, honour and passion are the fundamentals to life and I've spent my whole playing career providing a living embodiment of these traits."
God, moved by the passion of the speech offers Hill the seat to his right.

Finally, he turns to Wilkinson, "and you, Johnny, what do you believe?"
"I believe..." says Wilkinson "...that you're sitting in my seat"
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 07 Oct 2003, 19:59

Nikki Gradual wrote:Martin Johnson, Richard Hill and Johnny Wilkinson are standing before God at the throne of Heaven. God looks at them and says; "before granting you a place at my side, I must first ask you what you believe in."

Addressing Johnson first he asks, "what do you believe?" Johnson looks God in the eye and states passionately, "I believe Rugby to be the food of life. Nothing else brings such unbridled joy to so many people from the grim North to the bright lights of Twickenham. I have devoted my life to bring such joy to people who stood on the terraces supporting their club."
God looks up and offers Johnson the seat to his left.

He then turns to Hill, "and you, Dicky, what do you believe?" Hill stands tall and proud, "I believe courage, honour and passion are the fundamentals to life and I've spent my whole playing career providing a living embodiment of these traits."
God, moved by the passion of the speech offers Hill the seat to his right.

Finally, he turns to Wilkinson, "and you, Johnny, what do you believe?"
"I believe..." says Wilkinson "...that you're sitting in my seat"

Damm.......and he's probably right...
Bless the weather.......Image

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 10 Oct 2003, 01:18

Whew, dunno about you lot, but I'm starting to nervously tremble with excitement and can't wait for it to finally begin. :D
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Earthling

Postby Earthling » 10 Oct 2003, 14:01

Wallabies draw first blood...but will it be enough? Ex-Leaguie Wendell Sailor showed he's got his positional play under control and his try and scathing runs had the Pumas scrambling. In spite of the 24-8 scoreline, the Pumas had the majority of the possession. I didn't expect them to play as dumb as they did. They kept persisting with general play roundabout mauls that didn't go anywhere;the forwards kept lingering around the inside backline blocking any ball getting to the fringes; and I'm sure lineout thrower Ledesma must be cock-eyed..hardly any of his throw ins travelled straight. When they finally got the ball wide , Corleto showed how elusive he is by nailing a corner try. But why why why leave it to the last 10 minutes to give the backs some room to move? The final nail in the coffin of course was Contepomi again proving he can't kick goals.(Bring on Quesada!!!)
Can the Wobblies do a 1991 (where they knocked off Las Pumas in Game 1 and ended up taking out the Cup? I'm not convinced,
Last edited by Earthling on 10 Oct 2003, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 10 Oct 2003, 14:26

Bucolic old Sir Henry wrote:From the Guardian's 15 things we wouldn't know if rugby hadn't been invented:

10 The name Erica Roe
The 40-inch chested bookshop assistant from Petersfield became arguably the most famous streaker in history when she ran on to the field topless during the England-Australia match at Twickenham in 1982. Her 40-second dash earned her an £8,000 fee to appear on TV and prompted England's Peter Wheeler to remark to Bill Beaumont, "Blimey, there's a bird on the pitch with your arse on her chest".

There's a music connection, too. My old colleague Neville Farmer, author of a book about XTC, was a friend of Erica's. This may mean that Andy Partridge and Erica were also friends. The mind boggles. As, indeed, did Erica's chest.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyworldcup2003/story/0,13904,1054244,00.html

Pip pip!

I was there! Terrible view of her though. Had to wait for The Sun on Monday... :)

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 11 Oct 2003, 00:57

A word on Magillas avitar (?) for you non-kiwis. (A slightly different version but you get the idea)

This man is Keith Quinn - out-of-retirement rugby journalist and live commentator. He's the guy who made a noise like he'd just cum in his pants when Lomu ran over My Catt back in ninety-whenever and he was commentating the match. Now part of kiwi folklore that episode.

Last night he returned after years' absence to commentate the Pumas Aussie game. He's a boofhead. Always a dodgy commentary man he was more prone to be telling you about the fly-halfs family ("His mother was a fishwife in New Plymouth back in the day...") than what was actually happening on the field (usually as the try of the century is being scored).

Last night he was rusty again and it showed - botched players names, juxtaposing firstnames and surnames and more often than not stonily silent as he quite patently hadn't a clue who the hell had the ball (player or team.....).

Its great to have him back.

He makes Murray Walker seem like the poet laureate.

John Barleykorn

Postby John Barleykorn » 12 Oct 2003, 02:28

NEW ZEALAND 70 ITALY 7

For the first 20 mins, the AB's played dumb rugby - trying too much to soon. They did exactly what you shouldnt do after a break.

Then Spencer kept missing kicks. What the fuck have they been doing for the last 5 weeks - surely he must have been practising and surely theyve been keeping count. He's either a kicker or hes not.... Apparently he's not and its a bit late to be sorting it out now.

So now Umugas out - a big loss in an inexperienced back line. Rokocoko is injured, Aaron Maugers injured, Ali Williams is injured, Spencers lost it, Justin Marshall played like shit.

Sure there were moments of sublime skill ( Rokococo's spin and pass effort, for one! ), but it seems to me that, at this stage, the AB's are not good enough to win the WC. Im depressed.

Still.....its early days - they may make me eat my words yet. I fucking hope so!!

Joe de Prest

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 12 Oct 2003, 03:36

Joe Moody wrote:NEW ZEALAND 70 ITALY 7

For the first 20 mins, the AB's played dumb rugby - trying too much to soon. They did exactly what you shouldnt do after a break.

Then Spencer kept missing kicks. What the fuck have they been doing for the last 5 weeks - surely he must have been practising and surely theyve been keeping count. He's either a kicker or hes not.... Apparently he's not and its a bit late to be sorting it out now.

So now Umugas out - a big loss in an inexperienced back line. Rokocoko is injured, Aaron Maugers injured, Ali Williams is injured, Spencers lost it, Justin Marshall played like shit.

Sure there were moments of sublime skill ( Rokococo's spin and pass effort, for one! ), but it seems to me that, at this stage, the AB's are not good enough to win the WC. Im depressed.

Still.....its early days - they may make me eat my words yet. I fucking hope so!!

Joe de Prest

I agree - that was a bloody patchy performance. Chris Laidlaw made a good comment in the Sunday Star Times today that they need to give a Daniel Carter - Aaron Mauger first-five and second-five combination a work out during the pool matches, in case Spencer plays like crap again.
Carter was significantly better than Spencer in general play and needless to say his kicking was far more successful. Spencer simply cannot afford to miss that ratio of attempts against stronger teams - if he does, that'll be where we lose our chance at winning the cup, not through any issues to do with the forwards.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 12 Oct 2003, 03:47

Spencer was awful, I couldn't believe that he missed three kicks dead in front. They looked sketchy during phase play for most of the match to be honest, but NZ has to be the only country where a post-mortem is held on a 70-7 win. Rockoko's spin was just poetry, it's probably a contender for try of the tournament already, he created something out of nothing. Howlette looked spectacular on the run, and Nonu was so good on attack that I actaully thought he was Umanga for a few minutes (must be the hair)
We've got to learn to shut down play, we made something like 30 handling errors
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Oct 2003, 06:23

I must admit I would be worrying about Spencer if I was a kiwi after that kicking performance. On the other hand, he couldn't possibly be that bad again could he? I presume his injury was short-lived or is he a serious doubt for the rest of the tournament?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 12 Oct 2003, 08:04

Nikki Gradual wrote:I must admit I would be worrying about Spencer if I was a kiwi after that kicking performance. On the other hand, he couldn't possibly be that bad again could he? I presume his injury was short-lived or is he a serious doubt for the rest of the tournament?

I wouldn't put it past him to play that badly twice in a row, he's a confidence player. There was a infamous match against South Africa where Spencer was picked ahead of Mehrtens and we lost 3-9, but Spencer missed a total of 8 (!) kicks.

Sometimes, he's just utterly brilliant, especially on the run, but they need someone with a more level head like Dan Carter to take the kicks. The guy reminds of Grant Fox quite a bit.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Oct 2003, 08:16

The Right Profile wrote:
Sometimes, he's just utterly brilliant, especially on the run, but they need someone with a more level head like Dan Carter to take the kicks. The guy reminds of Grant Fox quite a bit.

I saw Spencer run rings round England once at Twickenham (wasn't ABs, must have been Babas or somesuch, about five years ago anyway) and he can certainly break the line, but quite unpredictably (must be a nightmare being his support players).
Don't know much about this Dan Carter chap, but if the Kiwis have another player who is even a pale imitation of Grant Fox up their sleeve, everyone else might as well pack their bags and head home. So what's it to be for the rest of the compeitition: flare and risk, or a points machine?

Earthling

Postby Earthling » 12 Oct 2003, 09:16

The AB's have a veritable goldmine of players who can fill the gaps if one or more of their starting 15 go belly up. Umaga's injury is unfortunate, but no more than that. Maybe his captaincy skills could be missed. But NZ's less-than-perfect-performance for their opener was no less rusty than Australia's or France's or South Africa's. It's hard to lift to optimum performance when the opposition lacks the calibre to apply pressure for a full 80 minutes.
I expect England will rout Georgia, but probably won't turn in a very memorable performance either. The Boks v England match next wekend will be the real litmus test for the real form of both countries from a finals point of view.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Oct 2003, 11:08

If the jocks are officially adopting the Corries' Flower of Scotland as their national anthem (as they are for the Rugby World Cup), what should other countries have? I've resisted the temptation to make the choice for other nations (you'll have to do your own), but I think for England it should be All Around My Hat by Steeleye Span.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 12 Oct 2003, 13:00

Having just watched our opening game,I think its safe to say that Scotland wont be troubling the engravers on finals day........
Can anybody explain to me why Spenser takes the kicks for the ABs?Its not compulsory for the 10 to take them, and he brings so much to the rest of the game-why dont they just find another kicker?I realise that its not just as easy as that, but he seems so off colour at the moment in that department.
Bless the weather.......Image

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Oct 2003, 18:53

So England? Didn't look too good to me. A lot of tries but all out of chaos. The talent is there, but I am far from convinced the tactical nouse or the gameplan is. They'll go a long way on blind talent and stupidity, but while it may work against Georgie, it ain't enough to win the world cup. I will prepare for them to be outclassed and seriously out-thunk at some stage.