Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Nikki Gradual » 03 Feb 2018, 19:14

Copehead wrote:England and Ireland are someway ahead of the chasing pack as they can deal with injuries better.

On the contrary, I reckon that today showed that Wales has easily the same strength in depth as Ireland and possibly even England.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 03 Feb 2018, 19:53

Having watched the wales game more closely now Scotland really played a full part in a brilliant game.
Wales just finished off 70-80% of what they created and Scotland about 10%

That is the real story.

Someone down the line will get a shellacking from Scotland like Australia did, I hope it is Ireland
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 03 Feb 2018, 23:16

Nikki Gradual wrote:Putain de merde.

Probably exciting for the committed but an unmitigated shite fest for the neutral.

Two poor teams bashing lumps out of each other in the rain.

At least the scrummaging was good to watch.

Ireland won't be troubling the engraver if they play like that again, they can play some of the most one dimensional blatting since England circa 1991.

They'll struggle against the British sides unless they pull their socks up.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 04 Feb 2018, 10:07

Copehead wrote:Having watched the wales game more closely now Scotland really played a full part in a brilliant game.

That is the real story.

Someone down the line will get a shellacking from Scotland like Australia did, I hope it is Ireland

I dont think we created much at all to be honest. I think Shaun Edwards brilliantly marshalled the defense, and we didnt adapt.
Perhaps we tried to keep the ball in play, fearful of what might happen in the scrum, but actually, we held that pretty tight.
Wales cleverly kicked the ball long, giving them plenty of time to get players in the way of our most attacking players, and we resorted to flinging the ball back and forth across the pitch.
I fervently believed that Ali Price was an improvement on Laidlaws slow delivery, but we needed that calm head.
We coped with what I thought would be the problem area in the front row, but missed Ritchie Grays battering ram, and the experience in the backs.
And Russell needs to focus-we cant afford the two or three missed touches we get when he's not quite on it.

But almost inevitably, the result was predictably Scottish, hopes raised, and dashed.Of course they were. How dare we dream.
Bless the weather.......Image

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Feb 2018, 11:41

andymacandy wrote:
Copehead wrote:Having watched the wales game more closely now Scotland really played a full part in a brilliant game.

That is the real story.

I dont think we created much at all to be honest. I think Shaun Edwards brilliantly marshalled the defense, and we didnt adapt.
Perhaps we tried to keep the ball in play, fearful of what might happen in the scrum, but actually, we held that pretty tight.
Wales cleverly kicked the ball long, giving them plenty of time to get players in the way of our most attacking players, and we resorted to flinging the ball back and forth across the pitch.
I fervently believed that Ali Price was an improvement on Laidlaws slow delivery, but we needed that calm head.
We coped with what I thought would be the problem area in the front row, but missed Ritchie Grays battering ram, and the experience in the backs.
And Russell needs to focus-we cant afford the two or three missed touches we get when he's not quite on it.

But almost inevitably, the result was predictably Scottish, hopes raised, and dashed.Of course they were. How dare we dream.

The scrum was always a red herring the incoming players had caps and the TH plays for Newcastle in the EP who are a pretty good side these days, yo don't get mug props in the EP.

Most pundits said Scotland lacked big ball carriers and went wide too early allowing Wales to drift and use the touch line, but early on the made a few significant line breaks they couldn't finish off, Wales were just very clinical with their chances.

But Scotland kept the faith and kept playing, their heads didn't drop, they kept heart which is going to be important in coming weeks.

You are right they needed ball carriers to get over the gain line, Grey and the 7 tried manfully, perhaps that is where the raw front row was an issue.

Price is better than Laidlaw, but he gifted Wales their first try when they were under the cosh by forcing a pass to no man's land when Russell was at the bottom of a ruck, he will get better, but generally Scotland just looked over excited early on, whereas Wales with AWJ in charge seemed to keep cool.

Wales seemed to say " you're the sparkling attacking force are you? Here's the ball what can you do with it??" and keep the ball on the park at all times.

That could have back-fired but they kept the faith in their defence and it paid off.

I thought Patchell was superb seeing as he has played most of this season at 15, he is 6'4" but he is very skilful and very confident.

Basically Wales backed themselves and Scotland backed themselves and Wales won. They have a better more experienced coaching team.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 04 Feb 2018, 19:19

Quite a satisfying first run-out for England.
I do wonder just what JJ has to do to convince EJ of his class. I just see someone who creates opportunities constantly and is sheer class when in form, but for some reason he just can’t find favour. I think AJ’s move to 15 may be the beginning of the end for the elderly self-basting psycho currently at full back. I reckon there’s lots of shuffling to do to find the best back row combination.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Feb 2018, 19:47

Nikki Gradual wrote:Quite a satisfying first run-out for England.
I do wonder just what JJ has to do to convince EJ of his class. I just see someone who creates opportunities constantly and is sheer class when in form, but for some reason he just can’t find favour. I think AJ’s move to 15 may be the beginning of the end for the elderly self-basting psycho currently at full back. I reckon there’s lots of shuffling to do to find the best back row combination.

I doubt anyone is going to shift Brown from 15, he would have been gone by know, like Hartley Jones likes him and that is the end of that. People can complain but until the wheels come off England nothing is going to change there.

I think Te'o/JJ at 13 is horses for courses, with some big ball carriers out Jones wanted a big ball carrier in the backs and it worked. I would guess that JJ is still ahead in the pecking order with a stronger ball carrying back row.

The back row is a work in progress apart from 8 where there is a wealth of talent. Some one needs to put their hand up at 7 soon

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Feb 2018, 23:23

Just watched the Italy England game and it was as entertaining as the Wales Scotland game.

That England team would have put 60-70 points on last years Italian side, Italy looked better than Scotland, France and Ireland and got hammered in the final analysis, it all turned into the Exeter show at the end with their young props powering the scrum and Simmonds and Nowell running wild.

There is so much young talent coming through the England set up now it is frightening.

Also I think we are finally starting to see Jones' ideas as an attacking coach being put into practice, he always said he'd get the structures and set piece sorted before he went to town on the attack and we are finally starting to see evidence of that and it looks awesome.

The numbers of decoy runners is phenomenal, the use of the front row as inside decoys and the looping of the backs was undefendable a few times.

Picking England players who excelled is hard because they were all brilliant; Watson showed he can stick on afterburners, Simmonds speed from a standing start was incredible and impossible to defend, Hartley, Cole and Vunipola carried, tackled and ran decoy superbly. Ford and Farrell were sublime and have surely put to bed any question of them not playing together, May was playing like the full back in attack coming into the line to create overlaps.

And Italy played a full part playing with more power and skill than they have for years, they will trouble France, Scotland and Ireland and probablyWales as well, because they kept England honest for pushing 70 minutes. Let's hope they do not run out of steam this year as they have for a few years because they looked like a genuinely good side again and for once Parisse was not their best player Negri was everywhere and carried massively, Tomaso Allen ran the show and passed well and the centres ran hard and fast and caused real problems.

Let's hope Ben Youngs is up and running again soon as that looked nasty.

And a word for the ITV commentary team the lead commentator is your standard sports presenter tit but Ben Kay and especially Flatman are brilliant at explaining the bits that most people don't understand - what happened in that scrum and why that lineout failed.

Flats for president

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Feb 2018, 23:23

Wales England is going to be an absolute cracker.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 05 Feb 2018, 17:35

Copehead wrote:
And a word for the ITV commentary team the lead commentator is your standard sports presenter tit but Ben Kay and especially Flatman are brilliant at explaining the bits that most people don't understand - what happened in that scrum and why that lineout failed.

Gabby Logan - "All we can do now is talk about sex...ton"
:roll:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 05 Feb 2018, 17:38

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Copehead wrote:England and Ireland are someway ahead of the chasing pack as they can deal with injuries better.

On the contrary, I reckon that today showed that Wales has easily the same strength in depth as Ireland and possibly even England.

Agree - I thought Wales would really struggle given their injuries. It was a very awkward time to meet Scotland and they did amazingly well.
Ireland really rode their luck - they were marginally better than a pretty weak French side, and really that French try deserved to win the game...but what a final set of phases - really reminiscent of the Munster-Northampton game 10 or so years ago. It seems though that Ireland can raise their game when needed.

So happy to see Simmonds play so well. Still don't like Ford but England definitely favourites still.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 07 Feb 2018, 20:51

Geezee wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Agree - I thought Wales would really struggle given their injuries. It was a very awkward time to meet Scotland and they did amazingly well.
Ireland really rode their luck - they were marginally better than a pretty weak French side, and really that French try deserved to win the game...but what a final set of phases - really reminiscent of the Munster-Northampton game 10 or so years ago. It seems though that Ireland can raise their game when needed.

So happy to see Simmonds play so well. Still don't like Ford but England definitely favourites still.

Ireland at the moment are one of those teams that don't really adhere to the rules of "form". Whatever happens and however they play, they just keep grinding out turgid victories.

I agree on Ford; he has never looked a top international standard 10, but Eddie doesn't piss around if he thinks someone is not up to it so there must be something there. Given Farrell's previous at fly-half I can understand not wanting to put him in there and I guess Ford is just the next best. Farrell is far better at 12 and actually on the field.

Simmonds' first two paces are other-worldly, I am not sure people will ever get used to it.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 07 Feb 2018, 20:55

Copehead wrote:Wales England is going to be an absolute cracker.

It will be the same as every other year: either very entertaining and Wales win or very dull and England win. Or the opposite.
I honestly think it is too close to call this time. Until last weekend I though that the injuries might put paid to Wales, but after the Scotland game I know better.
Can't wait.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Feb 2018, 17:41

Wales conclusively lost the kicking competition in that first half, down Webb, Biggar and 1/2p, who are all better kickers than their replacements, they looked very poor and a bit clueless. One more try for England should put them out of reach.

Mike Brown looked majestic bar one surprise kick he was out of position for, so why keep booting it straight down his throat?

On the few occasions Wales got in range the English defence was impregnable.

Bar one: how the TMO could not give a try for that kick through is beyond me, I think everyone commentating thought that was a simple decision to give Anscombe the try, baffling to know why it wasn't as the Welsh hand was clearly their first and was in contact with the ball when the ball was on the ground, fucking rubbish decision. from the TMO.

I think the weather may have put pay to the cracker of a game expected, that and England simply being too strong for this Welsh team, puts the Scotland game into a bit of perspective for both sides involved.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Feb 2018, 18:29

I'm not sure I have ever seen a better tackle than that one by Underhill on Scott Williams, I was already up celebrating the try, no one stops someone sliding in with that momentum, simply superb.

Mick the Munch on Marc Cecillon in the 1991 RWC QF is now in second place :D

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Feb 2018, 18:53

Can't believe there was no scoring in that match between the two Welsh pens. Beaten by a shitty TMO decision and the best tackle I have ever seen.

Wales were much better in the second half and the strong England bench couldn't make an impact, bar steadying the boat, as Wales got their tails up and finished the stronger.

That is how you play a match in the wet Ireland and France, plenty of ambition, OK lots of handling errors but that was because they were trying to play rugby in the rain.

Good game, not as painful as I thought it was going to be. Should have watched it at the club house, I doubt many people would have been ribbing me at the end of that they would have been too relieved to simply win.

Well played both sides, England 10/12 axis the difference, they vary the game so well and the kicking game and Farrell, in particular, the difference.

What about the offload by Launchbury for the second try as well, if a New Zealand second row had done that some people in the rugby commentariat would have cum in their pants.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Feb 2018, 10:56

Well, what a curiously unsatisfying win that turned out to be.
Shame, because the game showed huge promise at the outset before it became a slugfest.
Sure the weather didn't help, but neither did the very inconsistent and confusing refereeing of the advantage.
I did enjoy the fist 20 minutes because it was clear that England, for once, had the gameplan and Wales didn't. It is a mystery therefore why they abandoned the tactic of kicking through low and dinking it over the top when it was working so well and Wales were struggling to cope with some superb, close-quarters tactical kicking.
After that it was just tension and I would imagine a terrible spectacle for non-partisan viewers. Yeah, I know, there are no non-partisan viewers when England are playing! The game wasn't even really played on the pitch, really, it was Ferguson vs Keegan and Eddie Jones was Ferguson. He is a nasty piece of work, I'm glad he's on my side.
The good points to take from it from an England point of view is that the previously meandering idiot Jonny May is actually turning into a classy international winger in attack and defence. Farrell was magnificent. I don't like him much, but like the underappreciated Launchbury (who played a blinder) he seemed to be under every tackle and every ruck and maul. For a 12 it was an astonishing performance and his kick-through for the first try was truly world class: genuine All Blacks level perception and execution. He was the man of the match by some margin; they gave it to the wrong psycho, the one who just did a job made a great deal easier by the Welsh lack of tactics. I would be championing Farrell for 10 if it wasn't for the fact that though Ford's kicking was poor later on, he carried out the gameplan perfectly in the opening quarter and that was when England won the game. England for large parts of the game simply suffocated Wales. Didn't make for great telly, but...
Now, Wales. As ever, they were their own worst enemy. The kicking was appalling. From all of them. For the most part the style, direction and timing all made life easy for England to defend and counter. Similarly, three times in the last 10 minutes alone Wales squandered near-certain tries by failing to even look for support and a potential offload when runners were clearly there and Wales were well beyond England's defensive line. North was guilty twice in his short spell on the field. If the Welsh backs had played more as a team and taken those chances we wouldn't even be talking about the "try", but as it is I suppose we have to.
It was a try. And it wasn't. It was a bizarre, one-off situation for which there was no correct decision and whatever decision was taken would leave one side feeling cheated . And justifiably so. The facts, when Anscombe first touches the ball, before Watson, the ball is not actually in contact with the ground. Anscombe's contact with the ball does not contribute to its grounding, being more of a lateral flap really. Potentially a knock-on even. By the time the ball was in contact with the ground, both Watson and Anscombe had contact with the ball. Watson clearly had the more positive contact and exerted the downward pressure, but that doesn't mean anything. Even though he did not exert any real "push" except forwards on the ball, Anscombe's hand was on it first and remained in contact until it was grounded. But it was Watson who actually grounded it. There is no right answer. That said, I would have given it. I think. Maybe not. Who knows?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2018, 11:02

I thought Wales looked much better after they made the switch at fly half.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Feb 2018, 11:13

The Modernist wrote:I thought Wales looked much better after they made the switch at fly half.

That’s absolutely true actually. Shame, because I like the look of Patchell.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Feb 2018, 11:13

Image :(