Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 27 Feb 2017, 14:34

The Great Defector wrote:Invents a sport, but doesn't know all the rules, might explain England's problem in football too. :lol:

Rugby doesn't have rules it has Laws.

And the Laws are not as important as the referees interpretation of them which is what England were clarifying with Poite.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 27 Feb 2017, 14:39

Copehead wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Invents a sport, but doesn't know all the rules, might explain England's problem in football too. :lol:

And the Laws are not as important as the referees interpretation of them which is what England were clarifying with Poite.

.......just making a joke at the expense of the english, tut. :(
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvenist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 27 Feb 2017, 15:47

Well that was a funny old game.
The problem was it was allowed to become funny by England's ineptitude. It was perfectly clear what Italy were doing from very early on, but instead of doing something to counteract it or force the Italians to change their game plan, the white robots focused all their energy on trying to find a way to carry on doing exactly what they had been told to do by Eddie in circumstances that simply did not allow it. Hence the repeated hilarious sight of an England pack in beautiful formation rucking against nothing. Even when they approached Poite, the question was how they could form a ruck by pulling Italian players in (and carry on with Plan A) rather than adapting with the situation as it was and realising that the Italian ploy was actually a rather naive tactic that England could have massively exploited.
From the second breakdown I was screaming at them to pick and drive, which would have made big gains and forced the Italians to change their gameplan. But no, players of supposed international calibre are no so drilled that they had to wait for Eddie to tell them what to do at half time. Pathetic. Yes, it was strange and ugly and I can well see how it baffled them for 10-15 minutes, but to have them just as confused and at sea after 40 minutes, just weathering the storm until the form teacher could tell them what to do, was embarrassing. A better side would have massacred England.
I have no doubt that this England side does have ability, but I can't remember any side that has gone so far on so little and this increasingly inexplicable run of wins is giving everyone unhealthy delusions about how good they are. Potentially, yes, but at the moment and in reality, no.
I honestly think the Scots will have them, and, weirder still, I think that that loss is exactly what the English need.
As for Saturday, so many traditions were already scattered to the wind that I would have made Romain Poite man of the match. I cannot think of an official ever having to cope with a more confusing or difficult 80 minutes and he was pretty much impeccable.
"There's nothing more boring than a room full of dopeheads" - Valerie 'Coan' Bingleton

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Feb 2017, 16:53

The Great Defector wrote:
Copehead wrote:

.......just making a joke at the expense of the english, tut. :(

:lol:

Sorry DM rugby is not a joking matter

:lol:

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 27 Feb 2017, 16:59

It's a silly game, anyway.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvenist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 27 Feb 2017, 17:14

Anyone care to take bets on the Lions captain?
To my mind the Welsh and English candidates ruled themselves out at the weekend, Laidlaw is injured and Rory Best was surely never in the running. My money's on Warburton, and that would set the cat among the pigeons. My next best choice is Stuart Hogg.
"There's nothing more boring than a room full of dopeheads" - Valerie 'Coan' Bingleton

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Feb 2017, 21:02

Nikki Gradual wrote:Well that was a funny old game.
The problem was it was allowed to become funny by England's ineptitude. It was perfectly clear what Italy were doing from very early on, but instead of doing something to counteract it or force the Italians to change their game plan, the white robots focused all their energy on trying to find a way to carry on doing exactly what they had been told to do by Eddie in circumstances that simply did not allow it. Hence the repeated hilarious sight of an England pack in beautiful formation rucking against nothing. Even when they approached Poite, the question was how they could form a ruck by pulling Italian players in (and carry on with Plan A) rather than adapting with the situation as it was and realising that the Italian ploy was actually a rather naive tactic that England could have massively exploited.
From the second breakdown I was screaming at them to pick and drive, which would have made big gains and forced the Italians to change their gameplan. But no, players of supposed international calibre are no so drilled that they had to wait for Eddie to tell them what to do at half time. Pathetic. Yes, it was strange and ugly and I can well see how it baffled them for 10-15 minutes, but to have them just as confused and at sea after 40 minutes, just weathering the storm until the form teacher could tell them what to do, was embarrassing. A better side would have massacred England.
I have no doubt that this England side does have ability, but I can't remember any side that has gone so far on so little and this increasingly inexplicable run of wins is giving everyone unhealthy delusions about how good they are. Potentially, yes, but at the moment and in reality, no.
I honestly think the Scots will have them, and, weirder still, I think that that loss is exactly what the English need.
As for Saturday, so many traditions were already scattered to the wind that I would have made Romain Poite man of the match. I cannot think of an official ever having to cope with a more confusing or difficult 80 minutes and he was pretty much impeccable.

I think you are being a bit harsh, my dad spent the first 20 mins shouting "offside" at the top of his voice, then the next 20 shouting " do something!!!"
what they really needed to understand was Poite's interpretation of the tackle area, and that took them a little time because he was a bit gnomic. They started picking and driving almost immediately but they didn't have the best pack starting to do that.

Poite also didn't really sort out what was a tackle only and what was a ruck very well, there were at least two "tackle only" calls he got wrong which probably didn't help matters.
But in the final analysis it made no difference because England were having a mare. They go some more big ball carriers on - Vunipola & George - and they just powered away from Italy in the second half.

A better side wouldn't have abandoned the contest for the ball, England were lucky they played so badly against Italy for 40 mins, but Scotland wouldn't have upset their rhythm that much, I expect Scotland will suffer the rebound from that match in 2 weeks time.

It always baffles me why so many England fans traduce their team and scream that they are useless idiots when they are 17 matches into a winning streak, eyeing a second grand slam and a world record series of wins for a top tier rugby nations.

Quite funny though.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Feb 2017, 21:08

Nikki Gradual wrote:Anyone care to take bets on the Lions captain?
To my mind the Welsh and English candidates ruled themselves out at the weekend, Laidlaw is injured and Rory Best was surely never in the running. My money's on Warburton, and that would set the cat among the pigeons. My next best choice is Stuart Hogg.

I'd say Warburton or Hartley. Warburton isn't as sure of his place as Hartley who only really has competition from George if he doesn't nut George agains in the playoffs.

I don't think Stuart Hogg would pick Stuart Hogg as Lions captain and he doesn't strike me as someone who lacks self esteem.

It is a shame Conor Murray is a prize twat who couldn't lead a Cub Scout Six as well as he is nailed on.

And anyone who suggested Sexton lead them, if he didn't snap in half in the next 30 seconds, would be lynched by the rest of the squad, that is a man even his own mother doesn't love .

No standout Captains so I'd give it to Hartley, he must be doing something right he is leading the most successful NH side in history.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 27 Feb 2017, 21:44

Nikki Gradual wrote:Anyone care to take bets on the Lions captain?

Warburton for me too. I thought he had a great game on Saturday, and Tipuric wasnt far behind him( Lucky to dodge a card for the tip tackle though, I thought)
Im not seriously advocating Barclay, but I was hugely impressed with the calm way he did his job. Laidlaws injury was a disaster. Wait a minute. Barclay steps up, Russell kicks the goals, and Price speeds up the possesion. Win, win, win.

Im a bit pissed off about the Italian tactics.Jones will rip them a new one, and they will be raging when they hit the turf on the 11th. Could have done without that.
But seriously, they didn't know what to do? As in football, the coaching is taking the nous out of our players. Laughable.
Bless the weather.......Image

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 28 Feb 2017, 17:06

andymacandy wrote: As in football, the coaching is taking the nous out of our players. Laughable.

I think you'll find that I have also been banging on about this on this thread for years.
My advice: watch the under-20s tests for flair (they are brimming over with it) and the grown-ups for tension.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Mar 2017, 14:47

Copehead wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/thetoughesttrade.html

Just thought you might be interested cope since it's shane Williams. You might need something to be able to watch it on the player though when they show it.

Thanks DM
I will watch that if I can get it to work

It was a good show, Williams came across as a thoroughly nice guy and good craic.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 03 Mar 2017, 15:41

The Great Defector wrote:
Copehead wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/thetoughesttrade.html

Just thought you might be interested cope since it's shane Williams. You might need something to be able to watch it on the player though when they show it.

Thanks DM
I will watch that if I can get it to work

It was a good show, Williams came across as a thoroughly nice guy and good craic.

It is a fascinating show, I suppose it works so well because Ireland has its own unique sports to do swaps with. The Hurling guys are fucking mental and covered in scar tissue all over their faces just like the Shinty guys in Scotland.

Also sobering to see the relative set ups at Clermont Auvergne and Glenswilly.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 03 Mar 2017, 15:43

Copehead wrote:
Also sobering to see the relative set ups at Clermont Auvergne and Glenswilly.

Yeah the thought of pampered came to mind even though they put their bodies on the line on the rugby pitch. In fairness you could say that about footballers and basketball players.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Mar 2017, 08:57

While I do enjoy any time the Highlanders beat the Blues, tonight's 16-12 win featured some pretty dire rugby, all told. Yes, part of it was influenced by the inclement weather, but both sides kept making basic errors against the run of play. The Highlanders seemed to have only one tactic, which was to aerially bombard the opposition and hope they didn't catch it. Which worked most of the time but didn't exactly make for thrilling viewing. Once again, I feel the Super Rugby season starts way too early and goes on for too long, but we're all resigned to it being a bloated mess. Meanwhile, England look set to beat the ABs record of most consecutive wins. Not sure how I feel about that.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 11 Mar 2017, 09:44

What a game that was-Ireland battered, Wales redeemed.
If Sexton and Murray dont recover, then I can't see Ireland beating England next week. They must be black and blue and green all over.

I genuinely can't call todays game. If we stay calm and manage to bring our best form then we have a chance, but we were very subdued in the CC last year. I suspect it will be won and lost up front.

And I picked Italy to beat France before the tournament started, but that French pack is very strong.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Mar 2017, 10:42

andymacandy wrote:What a game that was-Ireland battered, Wales redeemed.
If Sexton and Murray dont recover, then I can't see Ireland beating England next week. They must be black and blue and green all over.

It was immense, but any neutrality I had went straight out of the window when it became clear that only one team was going to to try and play rugby. Well played Wales. I'm not a fan of Wayne Barnes, but the hatred is not fair. On the two major incidents, Sexton's yellow was technically correct by the laws if not a bit harsh emotionally (so a marginal call), but he called the non-pushover try absolutely right. Don't blame the ref if your inside centre is a moron.

andymacandy wrote:I genuinely can't call todays game. If we stay calm and manage to bring our best form then we have a chance, but we were very subdued in the CC last year. I suspect it will be won and lost up front.

If England play as they have for the last three games, I think Scotland will win, and I will be delighted for them. However, I suspect England might turn in the performance that they haven't given us so far this year.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 11 Mar 2017, 11:41

Nikki Gradual wrote:
andymacandy wrote:What a game that was-Ireland battered, Wales redeemed.

It was immense, but any neutrality I had went straight out of the window when it became clear that only one team was going to to try and play rugby. Well played Wales. I'm not a fan of Wayne Barnes, but the hatred is not fair. On the two major incidents, Sexton's yellow was technically correct by the laws if not a bit harsh emotionally (so a marginal call), but he called the non-pushover try absolutely right. Don't blame the ref if your inside centre is a moron.

Yes- schoolboy error, and I agree about Barnes. NH refs are really improving these days. To be fair, I thought Carney and Earles were outstanding in trying to play rugby, but their strength is in attritional forward play

Nikki Gradual wrote:
andymacandy wrote:I genuinely can't call todays game. If we stay calm and manage to bring our best form then we have a chance, but we were very subdued in the CC last year. I suspect it will be won and lost up front.

If England play as they have for the last three games, I think Scotland will win, and I will be delighted for them. However, I suspect England might turn in the performance that they haven't given us so far this year.

I don't think Italy did us any favours in that respect.................

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Mar 2017, 11:39

Quiet on this thread today...

As an England supporter, I am delighted that they put in a proper performance, though Scotland were just absent so it is hard to tell how good it really was. Very clinical regardless, so credit for that though I expect Eddie will be having guts for garters over them conceding three converted tries.
I suspect this England team might be becoming the rugby equivalent of the flat-track bully – scintillating when it is easy, but all at sea as soon as it isn't – but only time will tell. It was a shame for Scotland that pretty much everything that could go wrong did, but I agreed with the yellow even if it was the clash of heads after the fall rather than the dumping itself that did for Daley.
And now I await our sample-catching friend to come and have a go at me being too hard on the English!

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 12 Mar 2017, 14:19

Nikki Gradual wrote:Quiet on this thread today...

As an England supporter, I am delighted that they put in a proper performance, though Scotland were just absent so it is hard to tell how good it really was. Very clinical regardless, so credit for that though I expect Eddie will be having guts for garters over them conceding three converted tries.
I suspect this England team might be becoming the rugby equivalent of the flat-track bully – scintillating when it is easy, but all at sea as soon as it isn't – but only time will tell. It was a shame for Scotland that pretty much everything that could go wrong did, but I agreed with the yellow even if it was the clash of heads after the fall rather than the dumping itself that did for Daley.
And now I await our sample-catching friend to come and have a go at me being too hard on the English!

I cant disagree with any of that- we were properly spanked, and yet again, just didnt turn up.
I think we were lucky that Fraser Brown wasn't red carded-later in the game, and I think he would have been. Ten points and Hoggs concussion and that was the game lost. I just hope that we have some fit backs for Italy next week.
As for England, as James says, hard to say how good they were. Only the Kiwis can really tell us that now I think.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 12 Mar 2017, 18:01

Nikki Gradual wrote:Quiet on this thread today...

Considering they have beaten every first rate team in the world in the last year apart from the ABs, and have beaten most of them twice and Australia 4 times, I think that is a little harsh.

Unless they only team you can't flat track bully is new Zealand, and what does that say about the state of international rugby?

I don't think Scotland didn't turn up I think they turned up and were steam rollered by a side playing to their full potential for perhaps the first time under Jones.

This was a Scotland side where up to half the team were being touted for the Lions, including the back 5 of the scrum, and they were simply destroyed.

The Gray brothers and the back row may as well have not been there, Finn Russell played himself out of contention from the Lions 23, Dunbar played himself out of the Lions squad and Hogg was a bewildered passenger until he was bulldozed off the field as well.

I don't think any team on Earth would have lived with England yesterday including the All Blacks.

England's 9,10,12 play making axis were superlative, Joseph had a field day based on the confusion thew sowed in the Scottish midfield, he showed a full set of skills and restablished himself as probably the finest 13 in the world.

That was a side playing rugby at a different level of speed, power and skill than a fairly decent Scottish side.

Players like Courtney Lawes would waltz into just about any other side on the planet and he isn't an automatic starter, he has been incredible these last few weeks.

They will blow Ireland away next week as well if they play like that, thankfully I don't think any side can string 2 of those together, but Ireland bust be worried at what is waiting for them especially after the monumental battering Wales gave them.

The score line flattered Wales a bit and Ireland would surely have won if Henshaw hadn't been such an idiot.

But he was and Wales clung on.

3 tries vs 3 penalties sounds emphatic but it was anything but, but Ireland's attempts to bore and batter their way to victory will not work against the better sides all the time, they really have to be on it and Wales simply knocked them off their game by physicality and by taking every chance they got.

You could see they were playing with hurt pride, they were all hurling themselves into the game and into the Irish, George North more than anyone, he simply drove through the Irish defence for his first try.

I was a very happy man at the end of that game, but it doesn't change the fact that we will not trouble the best teams until we can play with that intensity every week not once in a blue moon when we have hurt pride.

But, apart from Italy and England, this has been a 6N of home wins which means the quality is evening out, and at an higher level than before, in my view, that is heartening.

Who will beat England? I think only Ireland or Australia at home have it in them at the moment, other than the ABs who they will not meet for over a year, until they have a really bad day at the office away from home like they nearly did against Wales.

Return to “Nextdoorland”