Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 26 Nov 2017, 12:56

The Write Profile wrote:
andymacandy wrote:Carnage. We are a great side now. And with plenty of room to improve too!


Yeah. great play by Scotland, particularly the expansive manner in which they took it to Australia. I honestly didn't think they had that sort of match in them. Meanwhile, the ABs ended a largely perfunctory end-of-year tour with a perfunctory win over a Welsh side that promised somewhat but ultimately lacked the ticker to take it to them for more than 60 minutes. That said, it was good to see Ioane score two tries and look dangerous throughout- he's been the "find" of the season and he will only get better as he continues to play at the top level. It hasn't been a vintage ABs side, but they've had their moments throughout the year. There was probably only one match--the 57-0 win against South Africa--where everything clicked, most of their other games were impressive in patches at best.


This isn't a vintage ABs side, I think most sides think they have a chance and even a Welsh side decimated by injuries kept the score line respectableish.

Scotland have a great back line but I think they will be ground down by stronger packs like Ireland and England but they are back at the top table of international rugby which is good to see.

I thought the red card was very soft, it was all about outcome rather than intent, if you watch the game both sides cleared out rucks in a similar fashion Kepu just managed to connect with a head rather than a body, it was reckless and I don't think refs have much leeway with hits to the head these days but he wasn't doing anything that other players on both sides did and received not even a penalty because they collided with trunk rather than head.

But Scotland really went for the jugular and they had the quality to actually make it count
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
OCT
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14822
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby OCT » 26 Nov 2017, 13:07

Image
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 26 Nov 2017, 18:32

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:Image


What aa adorable selfie Coan, thanks for sharing
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 03 Dec 2017, 10:20

Wales vs SA wasn't a quality game but it was an exciting game, what a start by Wales and their variation in attack and kicking game were superb. But then the big Boks ground there was into the lead so full marks to what was largely a 2nd/3rd string Welsh side to come back to get the win and close out the last 20 mins.

Wales had about 4 1st XV players on that field, AWJ, Faletau, 1/2p and Biggar, and one on the bench and we beat a side we hadn't beaten in 100 years until a few years ago, so I would say that was a solid performance

Let's hope the injury crisis has lifted by the 6N
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29885
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby andymacandy » 03 Dec 2017, 11:23

Copehead wrote:Wales vs SA wasn't a quality game but it was an exciting game, what a start by Wales and their variation in attack and kicking game were superb. But then the big Boks ground there was into the lead so full marks to what was largely a 2nd/3rd string Welsh side to come back to get the win and close out the last 20 mins.

Wales had about 4 1st XV players on that field, AWJ, Faletau, 1/2p and Biggar, and one on the bench and we beat a side we hadn't beaten in 100 years until a few years ago, so I would say that was a solid performance

Let's hope the injury crisis has lifted by the 6N

I was suprised that SA did come back into the game so well, and equally surprised that having done so they then subbed off the front row that could have won them the game. Still, a good scalp for Wales, and a needed one, after a mixed set of tests.
SA losing pushes Scotland up to 5th in the IBR rankings. Nosebleed!
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 03 Dec 2017, 19:59

andymacandy wrote:
Copehead wrote:Wales vs SA wasn't a quality game but it was an exciting game, what a start by Wales and their variation in attack and kicking game were superb. But then the big Boks ground there was into the lead so full marks to what was largely a 2nd/3rd string Welsh side to come back to get the win and close out the last 20 mins.

Wales had about 4 1st XV players on that field, AWJ, Faletau, 1/2p and Biggar, and one on the bench and we beat a side we hadn't beaten in 100 years until a few years ago, so I would say that was a solid performance

Let's hope the injury crisis has lifted by the 6N

I was suprised that SA did come back into the game so well, and equally surprised that having done so they then subbed off the front row that could have won them the game. Still, a good scalp for Wales, and a needed one, after a mixed set of tests.
SA losing pushes Scotland up to 5th in the IBR rankings. Nosebleed!


Wales Scotland first up in the 6N should be a corker, depending on the injury situation for both sides.
But just seeing Hogg vs Liam Williams would be worth the ticket
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29885
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby andymacandy » 24 Dec 2017, 14:15

Tight defensive game at the Athletic Ground Richmond yesterday.
London Scottish 52-Bedford 52.
And they say NH rugby isn't exciting!

(Good game at Murrayfield too!)
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 24 Dec 2017, 21:39

andymacandy wrote:Tight defensive game at the Athletic Ground Richmond yesterday.
London Scottish 52-Bedford 52.
And they say NH rugby isn't exciting!

(Good game at Murrayfield too!)


I love watching rugby outside the top flight, specifically my team Ampthill who I have played for and followed as a spectator from the depths of the East Midlands divisions to National 1. It is great watching them play the likes of Rosslyn Park and Blackheath and at this level all sides try and score tries and play attacking rugby.

London Scottish are a great story, going bust and fighting their way all the way back up the divisions like Richmond, and I used to live in Bedford so I have seen them loads of times, especially when they were in the Premiership.

But I'd always prefer to watch Ampthill these days.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 27 Dec 2017, 02:49

Image
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14626
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby The Write Profile » 27 Dec 2017, 03:03

No Keiran Read? That's a big call. It hasn't been the best ABS year, but whenever they did play well it was down to his work ethic: he was the engine room and had a surprising amount of pace to burn. I also reckon Reiko Iaone had a phenomenal first year of international rugby. He deserves inclusion as he brought something extra every time he was picked.

That said, there's little quibbling with most of your picks.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 27 Dec 2017, 03:32

The Write Profile wrote:No Keiran Read? That's a big call. It hasn't been the best ABS year, but whenever they did play well it was down to his work ethic: he was the engine room and had a surprising amount of pace to burn. I also reckon Reiko Iaone had a phenomenal first year of international rugby. He deserves inclusion as he brought something extra every time he was picked.

That said, there's little quibbling with most of your picks.


He is a great captain and great sportsman, but I think Faletau quietly outplayed him across the three tests after being comprehensively outplayed in the first test which was Read's all day long, MOTM by a mile.

I really should find a place for Warburton too, because him coming in and O'Brien going to 6 was the difference between a drawn series and a whitewash pretty much. He may be one of the few people on earth better able to manage refs than an ABs Captain, he is calm polite and he gets in their head. It saved the last test because that ref really wanted to find a reason not to give Owens offside and Warburton allowed him to do that. Turned out it was the correct decision in the end after a million slowmo replays as well but on the field it looked like a penalty all day. Test matches that intense turn on tiny margins and Warburton aced that.


Iaone missed out because I needed to squeeze a Scotsman, Hogg, in there to appease Griff so Liam Williams moved to the wing and knocked Iaone off his perch. But those are marginal calls. But Hogg has been superb all season apart from the Lions tour where he wasn't great, probably carried an injury into it and then got injured again.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20577
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Nikki Gradual » 27 Dec 2017, 18:39

Copehead wrote:Image


My front row and 9 to 15 were identical.

Otherwise
4 - Retallick
5 - Launchbury
6 - O'Mahony
7 - O'Brien
8 - Picamoles

I judged it on the whole year so there's a couple in there whose form now is not what it was last winter. The back row in particular could have had Hooper and Faletau in it and the second row Whitelock and Lawes, but I am pretty happy with it overall.
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20577
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Nikki Gradual » 29 Dec 2017, 20:26

He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22903
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Copehead » 29 Dec 2017, 23:51

I excluded Vunipola for his second test meltdown.
I love Liam Williams too much for that moment of pure magic in the first test to leave him out although Ioane has undoubtedly been one of the finds of the season and I left Hooper out because he has been a star in a generally lackluster side but on the whole I doubt that anyone would take serious umbrage at that list.
Plus Lawes was in for being a mature international player who looked like he was on the way out but who took into another level when challenged and made himself undroppable, that takes serious commitment and a serious attitude, most improved player of the year.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.