Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Xeopac

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby Xeopac » 09 May 2017, 17:32

Man I'd love Wasps to win. And we actually deserve it this time. The build to a level of some kind of consistency under Dai Young over the last few years has been impressive and the attack this year has been phenomenal. They should - but might not - beat Leicester but I can't see the defence being good enough to stop either Exeter or Saffercens on the big day. Either way it's been a great season.
Out Of The Frying Pan

Copehead wrote:Morrissey...is a meal at La Manoir au Quat Saison.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 May 2017, 03:45

Xeopac wrote:Man I'd love Wasps to win. And we actually deserve it this time. The build to a level of some kind of consistency under Dai Young over the last few years has been impressive and the attack this year has been phenomenal. They should - but might not - beat Leicester but I can't see the defence being good enough to stop either Exeter or Saffercens on the big day. Either way it's been a great season.

Along with the Scarlets the best side to watch in the NH

Not as impressive as sarries but easier on the eye
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Xeopac

Postby Xeopac » 10 May 2017, 09:30

Copehead wrote:
Xeopac wrote:Man I'd love Wasps to win. And we actually deserve it this time. The build to a level of some kind of consistency under Dai Young over the last few years has been impressive and the attack this year has been phenomenal. They should - but might not - beat Leicester but I can't see the defence being good enough to stop either Exeter or Saffercens on the big day. Either way it's been a great season.

Along with the Scarlets the best side to watch in the NH

Not as impressive as sarries but easier on the eye

Plus, not being Saffercens, much better by default. (Shut it Gradual.)

World Cup draw has just taken place:

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Europe 1, Play-off winner
Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Africa 1, Repechage winner
Pool C: England, France, Argentina, Americas 1, Oceania 2
Pool D: Australia , Wales, Georgia, Oceania 1, Americas 2

Very interesting, with genuine competition for top spot in each pool. Tough draw for England but if they continue the way they've started under Jones, they should be alright. Japan will certainly fancy their chances to get out of Pool A.
Out Of The Frying Pan

Copehead wrote:Morrissey...is a meal at La Manoir au Quat Saison.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 10 May 2017, 19:42

What's the verdict on the Irish group?
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 May 2017, 23:14

The Great Defector wrote:What's the verdict on the Irish group?

Easiest group in RWC history?

England in group of death again :lol:

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 10 May 2017, 23:27

Copehead wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:What's the verdict on the Irish group?

Easiest group in RWC history?

Go RUGGERS!
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 14 May 2017, 00:05

Sarries champions of Europe again, in imperious style.
I reckon they would batter all S15 sides bar a couple of NZ teams and not sure they wouldn't beat them either.

haven't seen a team ethic like that since Leicester a decade or so ago

No wonder they are called The Borg

But what immense talents they can call on

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 14 May 2017, 00:06

Vunipolae, George, Itoje, Kruis, Farrell, Bosch

Even Barrett, Ashton and Goode are immense players at this level.

there only real area of weakness is back row and that is relative to to the rest of the team, they function perfectly for Sarries

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 14 May 2017, 00:07

Next season Liam Williams replaces Ashton :o

Now on to Exeter and the Premiership final unless they can stop them.

perhaps wasps will, I hope someone does

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 15 May 2017, 00:34

If the British and Irish Lions want to know how to nullify the ABs, they could look no further than Saturday's Crusaders vs Hurricane game. Shut down Beauden Barrett and you remove a key cog in the machine. Moreover be prepared to grind it out playing 10-man rugby and the ABs will be unsettled. The actual Crusaders vs Hurricanes match didn't really live up to its hype, both sides were a lot more ginger than you would expect from the two most prolific scoring sides in the competition. Ordinarily, the Hurricanes would have capitalised on the multitude of turnovers and handling errors of the Crusaders, but they were simply shut out before they could do so. Also, the Lions might be in luck with the current injury tally- it's something like 15 "current" All Blacks are out, with many of them, such as Read and Dagg, unlikely to be match-fit in time for the series.

The injuries are a concern, in particular the number of concussions. I worry about the effects it will have not only on their immediate fitness, but also their post-rugby future. If we assume that most of the top players "retire" in their early-to-mid-30s, that leaves another 40 or 50 years of post-rugby life, even allowing for those who go into coaching.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 15 May 2017, 01:00

The Write Profile wrote:If the British and Irish Lions want to know how to nullify the ABs, they could look no further than Saturday's Crusaders vs Hurricane game. Shut down Beauden Barrett and you remove a key cog in the machine. Moreover be prepared to grind it out playing 10-man rugby and the ABs will be unsettled. The actual Crusaders vs Hurricanes match didn't really live up to its hype, both sides were a lot more ginger than you would expect from the two most prolific scoring sides in the competition. Ordinarily, the Hurricanes would have capitalised on the multitude of turnovers and handling errors of the Crusaders, but they were simply shut out before they could do so. Also, the Lions might be in luck with the current injury tally- it's something like 15 "current" All Blacks are out, with many of them, such as Read and Dagg, unlikely to be match-fit in time for the series.

The injuries are a concern, in particular the number of concussions. I worry about the effects it will have not only on their immediate fitness, but also their post-rugby future. If we assume that most of the top players "retire" in their early-to-mid-30s, that leaves another 40 or 50 years of post-rugby life, even allowing for those who go into coaching.

I'd heard the match was a bit of a grind compared to the European cup final between Clermont and Sarries.

I think the Lions are now coming South with a core of players who expect to win every game they play from Sarries and Leinster, a smattering of bloodyminded intransigence from the Munster players and a bit of stardust from Wales and Scotland in the shape of Liam Williams and Stuart Hogg.

But the key will be taking them on up front and shutting down BB, as you say this game showed.

Not sure they are going to be able to do that, but less not sure than I was last year.

Players like the Vunipola, George, Itoje, Kruis and Farrell are just not used to losing at all, The Irish players know what it takes to beat the All Blacks. The thing is can Gatland get the right team on the park from the first match and get them playing a game plan that gels them?

I am not sure that is possible these days with short tours, the ABs have a massive advantage there whatever their injury problems. Players who know each other and the game plan.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 21 May 2017, 09:11

An interesting Op-ed by Mike McRoberts, who argues that the game at elite level (and even in the level below at Secondary School first XV) has become too dangerous, with top-flight players getting carted off for concussion at a frighteningly regular rate, while the huge size of forwards pushes the sheer number of injuries even further. To a degree, I see his point- but ironically, it's been the professional era that has actually brought it to light. These days, television cameras capture everything, so it's increasingly difficult to get away with anything too filthy because the players know they'll be cited or sent off. That said, the number of top-flight players getting concussion is a very real concern- particularly given that some of the effects of it won't be noticeable until after they stop playing.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 May 2017, 09:29

Hooray!
Me and the mrs are off to Twickers (as I believe you English call it) to see local heroes The Chiefs against Wasps.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 22 May 2017, 00:34

Great weekend of semi final rugby in Pro 12 and AP. Some upsets.

The greatest one being Llanelli ( I hate the name Scarlets ) beating Leinster in Dublin with 14 men for most of the match. Llanelli are coming good again playing an attacking brand of rugby much like Wasps in the AP, and it is great to see that prospering. They will meet their anti-thesis in the final - Munster. A team who play an highly effective grinding style of rugby with a rock hard pack. Munster have come unstuck when playing this rugby against the best sides, they were swept aside in Thomond in the SF of the European Cup by Sarries, but I guess they will have too much for llanelli. That is a great shame as it would be nicer to see the Llanelli brand of rugby win, so fingers crossed, plus they are losing Liam Williams to Saints next year so they may rue missing this chance to top the Pro 12.

In England Exeter finally managed to beat Sarries in a knock out match, something that hadn't happened for a couple of seasons. Even then it took an audacious last minute cross field kick that came off perfectly to finally down Sarries, and that was at Exeter's Sandy Park fortress.
At the Ricoh Wasps needed a last minute try from Ampthill RFC product Josh Bassett to beat a defiant Leicester, who nearly made the AP final after a terrible season where they sacked two head coaches and Tom Young's wife was taken very ill. Shows what kind of club they are, if only Northampton could show that sort of grit They have been underperforming for a few years now.

So Munster v Llanelli and Wasps v Exeter.

Head - Munster Exeter Heart - Llanelli Wasps, come on heart

Massive blow to the Lions as well as Billy Vunipola has pulled out to have shoulder surgery.
They were going to build their team round him much like the ABs will build round Barrett.
Neither of them are the perfect player in their position; Barrett does not kick at the top level from T or hand, he isnt great defensively and he hasn't learnt all the game management skills yet, but what he does bring is so exceptional you build a team round him. Likewise Billy V isnt a lineout option, he doesn't hit rucks and doesn't tear up mauls, but he is the greatest ball carrier in world rugby. Going forward he is devastating, from a standing start he gets over the gain line carrying 2-3 opposition players, from the back of the scrum he is often unstoppable.

I don't know what the Lions do now, there is no like for like replacement for that sort of elemental power. I suppose they go back to the drawing board. Only Sean O'Brien has anything like that driving power and he is getting on a bit now.

I was getting far more sanguine about the Lions doing well this Summer, but now I am not so sure, he was a massive part of the game plan I envisaged, very sad.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 22 May 2017, 00:36

Deebank wrote:Hooray!
Me and the mrs are off to Twickers (as I believe you English call it) to see local heroes The Chiefs against Wasps.

Lucky you. I didn't even know you were proper Chiefs fans yet. How did you get the tickets?

Come on you Wasps anyway

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 23 May 2017, 04:44

Have you learnt that embarrassing boder-line racist Native American chant thing they do yet?

And bought your culturally appropriated native American headdress?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » Yesterday, 10:33

Well, the Highlanders have won their ninth match in a row, and they did it with some style against a surprisingly combative Warratahs team. Both sides actually played good, running rugby, and the 44-28 scoreline actually obscures how good both sides were (in patches) defensively. I've been pleased with the brand of rugby that the Highlanders have been playing this year, but because of the conference system they have to win virtually every game to even secure a playoffs spot, such is the strength of the NZ Conference. Next week's match against the Crusaders will be crucial. As much as I'd love to see them topple the Crusaders, it's a pretty unlikely proposition- the Crusaders have very few flaws and have been superb at just doing enough to win.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » Yesterday, 13:25

Copehead wrote:

Have you learnt that embarrassing boder-line racist Native American chant thing they do yet?

And bought your culturally appropriated native American headdress?

The Mrs decided she didn't want to go at the last minute and now they've lowered the terrorist threat level.

We're going to watch it in the pub in Sidmouth :cry:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » Yesterday, 14:22

Still, it's on the big screen in the Radway and I've got a pint of Doombar.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » Yesterday, 16:24

Ooof
20-20 after 80 mins.

Return to “Nextdoorland”