Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Re: Copehead's RWC thread NOW IN ITS 14TH GREAT YEAR

Postby The Write Profile » 12 Mar 2017, 22:53

To be honest, I would rather have a series against England than a Lions series this year, if only because the former would be more competitive. I do think England would prove a challenge for the ABS, especially upfront but also in the midfield too. Not least because it seems that half of the ABS squad will still be nursing injuries if the attrition rate in Super Rugby is any indication -my Highlanders squad have already got 13 out to injury.

On another note, does Eddie Jones view the media as one big windup? I get the sense that most of the time he is taking the mickey.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 13 Mar 2017, 00:06

The Write Profile wrote:To be honest, I would rather have a series against England than a Lions series this year, if only because the former would be more competitive. I do think England would prove a challenge for the ABS, especially upfront but also in the midfield too. Not least because it seems that half of the ABS squad will still be nursing injuries if the attrition rate in Super Rugby is any indication -my Highlanders squad have already got 13 out to injury.

On another note, does Eddie Jones view the media as one big windup? I get the sense that most of the time he is taking the mickey.

Yu get the feeling he thoroughly enjoys that side of the job.

Plus I think you may be playing a mainly English team this Summer anyway, although one coached by Gatland rather than Jones.

At the moment I would have

Vunipola M, Hartley, Nel
Lawes, Jones
Itoje, Vunipola B, Warburton

Murray

Ford, Farrell, Joseph

Liam Williams, Hogg, North

McGrath, Ken Owens, Unspellable Irish Tighthead
Grey J, Haskell
Rhys Webb
Anthony Watson
Daly

That is just over 50% of the starting team and you could make a case for Launchbury, Robshaw, Nowell, Youngs and Cole

from the 23
11 E
6 W
3 S
3 I

But my Welsh bias is showing there probably.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 13 Mar 2017, 00:08

The Write Profile wrote:To be honest, I would rather have a series against England than a Lions series this year, if only because the former would be more competitive. I do think England would prove a challenge for the ABS, especially upfront but also in the midfield too. Not least because it seems that half of the ABS squad will still be nursing injuries if the attrition rate in Super Rugby is any indication -my Highlanders squad have already got 13 out to injury.

Congrats on your BCB cup win as well

Your pitching of Culture swung my decisive vote your way :)

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 13 Mar 2017, 01:26

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the Lions series- for the influx of supporters as much as the matches. It's just that an actual series against England would be hyper competitive and a good gauge of where the All Blacks are really at. I suspect they're on a slight downward tick, particularly if the Super Rugby tournament continues to create further injury casualties.

And cheers, it's nice to win the BCB Cup.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 17 Mar 2017, 09:23

Off to Murrayfield to see if we can redeem ourselves, and say farewell to Vern. He will be missed, and has restored our pride.
If we can beat Italy, then I think a three win tournament would be decent enough success for us.
England to thump Ireland, and Wales France is very close.
Bless the weather.......Image

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 17 Mar 2017, 22:54

andymacandy wrote:Off to Murrayfield to see if we can redeem ourselves, and say farewell to Vern. He will be missed, and has restored our pride.
If we can beat Italy, then I think a three win tournament would be decent enough success for us.
England to thump Ireland, and Wales France is very close.

Seems odd to get rid of Cotter so soon and just when he has made a real difference, I hope it isn't shown to be disastrous. I know Townsend has had a good run at Glasgow but he doesn't have Cotter's experience, I think a proper hand over period could have been of use.

Winning your home games is a real step up for Scotland.

England won't thump Ireland because Ireland's pack is too good for that, Ireland will do a Wales and play with the fury of hurt pride, I think England will win an absolute slug out by a score.

I hope Wales can raise their game one more time against France, but the intensity is hard to reach in consecutive games and France are a tricky proposition in Paris now. France by a score, not sure Wales deserve to be 4 in the world rankings should be NZ, Eng, Ire, Oz really.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 18 Mar 2017, 21:22

Wife is absolutely rapt that England got beat :lol: :lol: would've been a Clayton's record anyway without playing and beating the All Blacks.
Goat Boy wrote:Fuck me (please note: this is not a request, I am merely expressing exasperation)

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 18 Mar 2017, 23:25

Brutal Kangaroo wrote:Wife is absolutely rapt that England got beat :lol: :lol: would've been a Clayton's record anyway without playing and beating the All Blacks.

As the All Blacks record is a Clayton's because they didn't play and beat England?

What a remarkably stupid point of view, congratulations of formulating it!

They were Number 1 and number 2 in the world for most of both runs so it must work both ways.

Some weekends it is better to be in Japan having some raw horsemeat in a Izakaya than watching rugby. looks like I picked a good weekend to miss.

Fuck knows what was going on at the end of the France Wales match but Barnes clearly thought France were trying to take him for a fool by bringing Slimani back on for a HIA to that fat Kiwi who appeared to be clutching his belly and refusing to go for hi assessment as he wanted to watch the end of the game, absolutely bizarre, but you can't question a Doctor, even one who now has serious questions to ask, I wonder if France will be able to trawl the video for the incident where the head injury apparently occurred.

A game that neither side deserved to win, and Howley should have kept mum rather than accuse the French of cheating.

Ireland England appears to have been griping but little else, I imagine Jones isn't too disappointed as his charges probably needed a reality check and Ireland had seriously under-performed until now. Very different to the way they cut lose against New Zealand in Chicago, here they just refused to let England play with Sexton kicking the leather off the pill and the whole team closing down like banshees.

Scotland did the necessary against Italy.

What this means for the Lions is anyone's guess as they cannot beat New Zealand over a 3 match series playing like Ireland did today. Good luck Gatland, pick the bones out of that one.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 18 Mar 2017, 23:49

Actually it was my wife's point of view, if you're going to be a typical Union dickhead the least I can do is give you her number so you can inform her personally.
Goat Boy wrote:Fuck me (please note: this is not a request, I am merely expressing exasperation)

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 19 Mar 2017, 00:21

Brutal Kangaroo wrote:Actually it was my wife's point of view, if you're going to be a typical Union dickhead the least I can do is give you her number so you can inform her personally.

be happy to, can't let silly prejudice like that go on questioned can we ?

Always find it a bit odd the sort of irrational hatred that the men in white attract.

But England's record is no different to New Zealand's they were the top 2 sides in the world for most of the 2 runs and they didn't play each other and both had their runs ended by Ireland, where's the difference?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Apr 2017, 06:44

Quarter finals weekend of the World's premier club competition ( now the Super make up a number has descended into unmitigated rubbish unless it is two Kiwi teams playing each other )

Munster Toulouse.

2 clubs that shouldn't have really made it this far and will go out to Sarries in the next round.
You have to fancy Munster at Thomond and I really love the POM type of player, reminds me of Richard Hill.
But then you look at Toulouse's team sheet and it is stellar and Munster's really isn't.
Munster by 5 unless Toulouse really fire then them by a lot.

Leinster Wasps

Both Teams top of their leagues.
Wasps have one of the world's best back lines
Cipriani - Goporth, Daly, Wade, Willie la Roux, Kurtley Beale
Leinster have a pack that is immense, although probably not full strength, an entirely internationally capped team and home advantage.
If it rains, and that is 50:50 apparently, Leinster probably have the pack to grind it out and Sexton to direct the grinding.
If it doesn't and it is an open game you feel Wasps have the ability to run riot.
Winners to go out to Clermont in the next round.

Clermont Toulon
It is going to be Clermont because they are at home, they are basically the best South African Super franchise, with a couple of frogs and an Englishman at the back,playing in France.

Saracens Glasgow
Glasgow have a mediocre season outside the EC but have been great in it.
Saracens are the best club team on the planet with the possible exception of a New Zealand Super franchise.
Saracens are only missing Kruis, Glasgow have a couple out in the pack.
Glasgow also starting with Pyrgos over the more mercurial Ali Price.
Can't really seeing it go any other way that Sarries

So that would mean

Clermont Wasps

Munster Sarries

Clermont Sarries

Sarries

But would really quite like to see Clermont win it at last, they have spent a lot of money on Saffers and must have been pissed to see England's version of that beat them to the prize last year

To be fair to sarries, half that team is home grown these days and theer are as many Jocks as saffers in Black and red.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 01 Apr 2017, 06:49

Copehead wrote:Quarter finals weekend of the World's premier club competition ( now the Super make up a number has descended into unmitigated rubbish unless it is two Kiwi teams playing each other )

Hard to disagree with that, much as it pains me to admit it. I mean, I should be pleased that the Highlanders demolished the Rebels, but the Rebels were so awful and hapless that there wasn't any sense of achievement in it. The Australian Conference is desperately week, and will remain so for some time I fear. There's been reports that actual participation in Rugby Union has declined by 66 percent over the last 15 years in Australia, and I get the sense that unless there's a massive overhaul, their decline will continue.

Even the Brumbies and the Reds, two formerly very strong sides, are now shaping up to be easybeats.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Apr 2017, 07:07

The Write Profile wrote:
Copehead wrote:Quarter finals weekend of the World's premier club competition ( now the Super make up a number has descended into unmitigated rubbish unless it is two Kiwi teams playing each other )

Hard to disagree with that, much as it pains me to admit it. I mean, I should be pleased that the Highlanders demolished the Rebels, but the Rebels were so awful and hapless that there wasn't any sense of achievement in it. The Australian Conference is desperately week, and will remain so for some time I fear. There's been reports that actual participation in Rugby Union has declined by 66 percent over the last 15 years in Australia, and I get the sense that unless there's a massive overhaul, their decline will continue.

Even the Brumbies and the Reds, two formerly very strong sides, are now shaping up to be easybeats.

The elite playing numbers in Australia cannot support the number of teams.
Same in South Africa, except their problem is losing so many excellent players to the NH, you look at the number of excellent Saffers in the French, Irish and Scottish set ups now, that will only increase, their is talk of the FRU investing in South African schools/colleges like Greys to make them a production line for "French" talent, much as they are planning to do in the PI. It stinks.

South African rugby has been systematically denuded of its assets, but that is mainly because of woeful mismanagement by the SARU.

Moving towards better black participation in elite rugby in SA is good and necessary but it appears to have been done in an hamfisted way.

The Sunwolves are worse than the Force or Rebels and the Jaguars are barely competitive, and the PI will not be given a look in by Australia and New Zealand for some reason.

Rugby in the SH is dying on its arse outside New Zealand, but in rude health up here with expansion in Europe with sides like Georgia and Romania becoming almost as good as Italy, Samoa and Fiji.

We play a more physical game up here because sides are more evenly matched, and it appears to appeal to the punters more with clubs looking to expand their grounds to 20,000-30,000 seat stadiums.

You can't get into an international, the big ones are still free to air, the European Cup generates huge interest.

Not sure what can be done down South other than recalibrating what is sustainable, but Kiwi sides thrashing everyone week in week out is not a saleable product, it was only a few short years ago that teams like the Stormers, Blue Bulls, Sharks, Reds and Brumbies weren't just competitive they were winning.

Not good.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 01 Apr 2017, 10:25

Copehead wrote:
The Sunwolves are worse than the Force or Rebels and the Jaguars are barely competitive, and the PI will not be given a look in by Australia and New Zealand for some reason.

Rugby in the SH is dying on its arse outside New Zealand, but in rude health up here with expansion in Europe with sides like Georgia and Romania becoming almost as good as Italy, Samoa and Fiji.
Not good.

I agree, and will say that New Zealand (and to a lesser extent Australia) has been shameful in its treatment of the Pacific Islands. While it is often exaggerated as to how much talent they bring to the ABs (by sheer fact that many were actually born in New Zealand, but have PI heritage), there's no denying that the NZRU has scarcely given much back in return. It took a very vocal campaign for the NZRU to host a test match in Samoa, for Christ sake. A combined PI Super team would have been far more appealing than yet another South African or Australian side or a Japanese team, but a PI team wouldn't necessarily bring in the money. SANZAR's thinking has been at once short-sighted and craven, and the further they try to "expand" the competition, the less interesting it becomes.

It needs a complete overhaul. I enjoy the NZ derbies but that's not enough. Then again, as a Highlanders' supporter, I should be pleased they're actually competitive, god knows I went through many years cursing how rubbish they were.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Apr 2017, 23:18

The Write Profile wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Not good.

I agree, and will say that New Zealand (and to a lesser extent Australia) has been shameful in its treatment of the Pacific Islands. While it is often exaggerated as to how much talent they bring to the ABs (by sheer fact that many were actually born in New Zealand, but have PI heritage), there's no denying that the NZRU has scarcely given much back in return. It took a very vocal campaign for the NZRU to host a test match in Samoa, for Christ sake. A combined PI Super team would have been far more appealing than yet another South African or Australian side or a Japanese team, but a PI team wouldn't necessarily bring in the money. SANZAR's thinking has been at once short-sighted and craven, and the further they try to "expand" the competition, the less interesting it becomes.

It needs a complete overhaul. I enjoy the NZ derbies but that's not enough. Then again, as a Highlanders' supporter, I should be pleased they're actually competitive, god knows I went through many years cursing how rubbish they were.

Accusing New Zealand of poaching is rubbish they don't need to poach, PI families naturally gravitate there because it is the nearest major "Western" country, their children are New Zealanders by any criteria.

It is like complaining about second generation Black sportsmen and women not being British back in the 80s and 90s.

I think the All Blacks have only capped 30 odd players who weren't born in New Zealand, they don't need to poach PI players, the largest PI cities are already in New Zealand. New Zealand cap huge numbers of people of Samoan, Fijian and Tongan descent but very few who were born on those islands.

But as you say the reward for this has been to largely ignore the PI teams, probably out of self interest as they have no interest in strong PI teams holding onto players or even enticing back those the ABs wish to cap to play for them by right of parent or grand parent.

Outside of world cups New Zealand practically never plays these sides.

The only thing still bringing in the money to SANZAR is the SA Super Sport TV contracts, if SA goes belly up or if they become part of the NH circuit because of time zones then rugby down there will go belly up.

The Super Rugby system needs a major over haul to make it competitive and to deal with the travelling that the teams, especially the Japanese and Argentinian teams, are expected to do, where that is leagues or conferences or a travelling rugby circus that visits countries in turn. They also need to slim down the Australian and SA teams, but that is very difficult in SA due to politics.

It is worrying.

Looks like the games today were damp squibs for the neutral.
Home advantage is so important in the competition it rarely goes against, and handful of times down the years.

But I really thought that Toulouse and Wasps, especially Wasps, had the stellar teams to test the Irish sides in the fortresses, but no.
Munster and Leinster are so strong at home, so they win the battle to go out to Clermont and Sarries in the next round, where home advantage is more nominal and upsets slightly more common.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 19 Apr 2017, 17:11

Gatland's Lions squad.

To be honest it was pretty easy for him because there weren't that many contentious positions. Plus, we all knew he was going to fill the backs with his preferred blunderbusses (though I was shocked he took Joseph over Roberts).

From the English perspective, I'm not surprised with Hartley being left at home – you just don't need him when you have Jamie George (and the others) to play 2 and Warburton to skipper. Was surprised that he took Ben Youngs instead of Danny Care. I mean, Youngs may be Eddie's starting choice, but, apart from one woeful performance, the horrible little shit Care's bursts in the 6N were gamechangers and I thought the point of a touring group was that as long as you had your stable player (which he has already) you could take a few riskier ones along. Maybe he just thought that Care was nothing more than a poor man's Rhys Webb. All the debate will be about Launchbury and rightly so. I must admit that I had to eat humble pie after he came to the rescue in the Six Nations this year, but he for two games he simply blew everyone away, English and otherwise. He was simply on fire and when you have someone in that form you take them rather than leave them at home and give the place to someone who has had no competitive rugby since coming back from injury (Kruis). Not sure I agree with filling the squad with a bunch of "utility" players either – neither Lawes and Itoje shone in the back row, and if they aren't good enough to get in based solely on their specialist position, then you should probably not take them, and neither has been in great form in the second row.

From a Scottish point of view, I can see why they will be upset that their second equal in the Six Nations is rewarded with just two places, but really the disparity between them and Wales (12 places) just shows how brilliantly Scotland worked as a team to utilise the available talent and how poorly Wales did. Hogg was a shoo-in, but it could just have easily have been just him. They have some decent Braveheart forwards, but no one who could be that aggrieved at not going. Maybe Finn Russell. I know the Scots like Jonny Gray, but I don't see that much of an injustice there.

As for the Welsh, I think this reflects the talent at their disposal (and an acceptable dash of them being being the players Warren is most familiar and comfortable with), but as touched on above, it just emphasises the malaise in the test team if you can provide that much quality to a Lions squad and fuck up the Six Nations so badly. Good thing the Lions are bing led by Gatland and Howley then...

Can't argue with any of the Irish selections, but the thought of the Lions exporting the Johnny and Connor show as the antidote to Beauden Barrett and the beautiful game depresses the fuck out of me.

Forwards
Rory Best (IRL)
Jack McGrath (IRL)
Dan Cole (ENG)
Ross Moriarty (WAL)
Taulupe Faletau (WAL)
Sean O'Brien (IRL)
Tadhg Furlong (IRL)
Peter O'Mahoney (IRL)
Jamie George (ENG)
Ken Owens (WAL)
Iain Henderson (IRL)
Kyle Sinckler (ENG)
Maro Itoje (ENG)
CJ Stander (IRL)
Alun Wyn Jones (WAL)
Justin Tipuric (WAL)
George Kruis (ENG)
Billy Vunipola (ENG)
Courtney Lawes (ENG)
Mako Vunipola (ENG)
Joe Marler (ENG)
Sam Warburton (WAL)

Backs
Dan Biggar (WAL)
Jack Nowell (ENG)
Elliot Daly (ENG)
Jared Payne (IRL)
Jonathan Davies (WAL)
Jonathan Sexton (IRL)
Owen Farrell (ENG)
Tommy Seymour (SCO)
Leigh Halfpenny (WAL)
Ben Te'o (ENG)
Robbie Henshaw (IRL)
Anthony Watson (ENG)
Stuart Hogg (SCO)
Rhys Webb (WAL)
Jonathan Joseph (ENG)
Liam Williams (WAL)
Conor Murray (IRL)
Ben Youngs (ENG)
George North (WAL)
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Apr 2017, 10:20

I would have taken Hartley over Best every time
Just a better player in every facet of the game can't understand that decision
He joins the long list of England captains not taken for political reasons

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Apr 2017, 10:23

Bigger Payne 1/2p and Jomathon Davies are fairly inexplicable too when you have

Ford, anyone, anyone and any Scottish centre

To chose from

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 06 May 2017, 13:37

Come on Exeter!

I have no affiliation whatsoever, but I would love to see Safferans and Wasps not win it.
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 06 May 2017, 23:10

Nikki Gradual wrote:Come on Exeter!

I have no affiliation whatsoever, but I would love to see Safferans and Wasps not win it.

Wasps for me

But it will be Saracens

I'd love to see them against which ever NZ side wins the super 34s ( or whatever it is now )