What's your favorite treat?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

What's your favorite treat?

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Apr 2021, 22:10

I went to Aldi today, for provisions. It's a German chain, and they have things you don't find elsewhere. I like to vary my ready meals, snacks, etc., because I tire of foods easily. I also like to treat myself. In the seafood section I grabbed a small jar of caviar, the "cheap" kind, stonefish roe, at 2 quid. What I really like is the Russian caviar from the Caspian Sea. It's called Beluga (sturgeon roe), and it is worth its weight in gold (almost). There is a Russian grocery store in Copenhagen, where you can get a small can for about 800 DKK (£90). Now, I haven't had that treat since I flew with Aeroflot in the 1980s. Aeroflot was great, they served Beluga caviar on rye bread, and cans of Pepsi, where all other airlines did Coca-Cola. For those reasons alone, Aeroflot is my all-time favorite airline. Ever seen the episode of Columbo where he is asked to help himself to a punch bowl of caviar? The look on his face when he took the first bite. Man, was he happy.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck