IKEA v MUJI

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

IKEA or MUJI?

1. IKEA
3
43%
2. MUJI
0
No votes
3. FOOTY
4
57%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

IKEA v MUJI

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 15:54

Who will come out tops in this BATTLE OF THE FOUR LETTERED STORES?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25902
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 17:02

Haven't been to IKEA in a few decades, so, no longer can judge/evaluate.

Never heard of MUJI, so, ditto.

Thanks god for the Footy option. Always a winner.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 17:11

souphound wrote:Never heard of MUJI

.


:shock:

I thought you were Canadian, not from the year 1342!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40798
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Mar 2021, 17:45

IKEA is more useful, and I've only ever gone to MUJI for clothes (they had some great linen shirts a couple of years ago that I stocked up on). I can't imagine what kind of clothes IKEA would sell if they did and I have no desire to assemble my own underwear.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Positive Passion
Posts: 1597
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Positive Passion » 22 Mar 2021, 17:51

I like Muji, but a trip to IKEA is one of the all-time great experiences of any kind.

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44509
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Dr. Baron » 22 Mar 2021, 18:08

Positive Passion wrote:. . . a trip to IKEA is one of the all-time great experiences of any kind.


:shock: :shock: :shock:
:cry: :cry: :cry:
:x :x :x
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25902
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 18:14

Minnie the Minx wrote:
souphound wrote:Never heard of MUJI

.


:shock:

I thought you were Canadian, not from the year 1342!



Looks like they're only in and around Toronto and Vancouver, not my neck of the woods (Montréal). Of course, there's the online store, but I don't shop online, for anything.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23882
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Mar 2021, 18:52

Muji has the exotic thrill of Japan behind it. However, beyond some pencils, a few boxes and other bits there's not much else. If you are an L in size forget about the clothes.

Whatever you think of IKEA you never go there and but nothing.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 19:18

I voted IKEA. I have never been to IKEA and not left without feeling really happy with what I have, even if it's a bag of pickled mushroom crisps. I understand that this is how it sucks one in, but it's a Kool Aid I am happy to drink. I'm particularly fond of all the vaguely folk art print shit they have going on at the moment in their furnishings, and I bought an owl night lamp that has made me so happy I keep plugging it in, even though it isn't night time!

I agree with KP re: it's mainly a Japanese WHSmith. You can only own so many very thin pens, and the packaging is an environmental disaster. They do play nice in store music, though.
Like Harv, I have bought clothes from there, though with different results. I bought a dress that was shaped like an upside down ice cream cone, and I looked like badgers fighting in a windmill.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69263
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Mar 2021, 20:24

IKEA have the most bizarre pricing I've ever seen. You can walk around, see something nice, pick it up and find it's only £15. Next door you'll see something that looks like it's been constructed incorrectly (and fucking useless anyway) and it will be £230. There really is no sense to their pricing structure whatsoever.

I love IKEA.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46080
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby The Prof » 22 Mar 2021, 20:38

I thought when Muji shut their store in Leeds they'd all shut down. But no - they have 8 stores in the UK. Seven in London.
I'll stick with Flying Tiger to get shaving kits in a matchbox and origami books.

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44509
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Dr. Baron » 22 Mar 2021, 20:39

Minnie the Minx wrote:I voted IKEA. I have never been to IKEA and not left without feeling really happy with what I have, even if it's a bag of pickled mushroom crisps. I understand that this is how it sucks one in, but it's a Kool Aid I am happy to drink. I'm particularly fond of all the vaguely folk art print shit they have going on at the moment in their furnishings, and I bought an owl night lamp that has made me so happy I keep plugging it in, even though it isn't night time!


I couldn't possibly comment.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String
Posts: 21653
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Six String » 22 Mar 2021, 20:48

Dr. Baron wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I voted IKEA. I have never been to IKEA and not left without feeling really happy with what I have, even if it's a bag of pickled mushroom crisps. I understand that this is how it sucks one in, but it's a Kool Aid I am happy to drink. I'm particularly fond of all the vaguely folk art print shit they have going on at the moment in their furnishings, and I bought an owl night lamp that has made me so happy I keep plugging it in, even though it isn't night time!


I couldn't possibly comment.


Not even the upside down ice cream cone dress?
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32248
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 22:30

Well, Footy won this at a canter!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21653
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Six String » 26 Mar 2021, 03:35

A classic ending
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24262
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby Deebank » 26 Mar 2021, 09:47

There used to be a Muji section inside the now long-gone department store in Brighton (Hanningtons). We bought a few bits and bobs from it back in the day: little sets of 2 drawers exactly the right side for mini discs; our first tiny portable folding stools for Glastonbury; and I bought a Muji 'no label' white shirt for work. I had to get the largest size which had a smallish torso with massive neck and long gibbon arms - Sumo?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro