What else do you collect besides CDs?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: What else do you collect besides CDs?

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Mar 2021, 18:14

I have two holdalls of assorted audio cables in the loft.."just in case" is a big issue in my psyche.

My father was the same - I had to clear out two sheds worth of assorted bits of wood that he had hoarded 'just in case I might need them'.

It strikes me that we have gone into overdrive in material hoarding from a generation in the 50s who had very little or indeed nothing at all.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 18:17

Samoan wrote:Odd earrings.
I really should chuck them. Like gloves, once you've lost one you've lost the pair.

I actually have a few (not many, no worries) in a jar with odd buttons, wild stamps and foreign coins, all found on the sidewalks. :oops: ;)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 22 Mar 2021, 18:20

:)
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Mar 2021, 20:13

I’ve collected things since I was a kid from stamps to coins to rocks (minerals and fossils) but these days it is just music and wine. I’ve really slowed down on music purchases as my collection is quite large and I’m getting a lot of pleasure getting to know what I have from years of insane acquisitions. Wine on the other hand is a constant replenishing of stocks though I don’t buy anything that needs laying down for twenty years or so. People don’t have cellars anymore and typically pick up a bottle with dinner on the way home from work instead of keeping a variety of wines at home for different meals. To each his own as they say.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Mar 2021, 18:43

GoogaMooga wrote:I think no matter how fanatical you are about your collecting hobby, you reach a point where it is simply not practical or feasible to continue unless you do some serious culling. Since it is very difficult to stop altogether, it becomes a matter of refining the collection. For every book I buy now, I must get rid of one, too, as I have reached the saturation point. Same goes for CD, DVD/Blu-ray, and comics. At first it is painful, then it gradually gets easier, until it becomes almost like a sport. I actually feel joy when I find something that I can get rid of now, because it frees up space for even better stuff. Sort of a "reverse treasure hunt".

I totally ‘get’ this. It’s an approach I started to adopt a couple of years ago last time I moved house, it was a hassle-all my things! Next time I move I will either be infirm, or ‘going out in pine’, so I need to address this now...
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Mar 2021, 06:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Souls.

So you were the guy I sold mine to.

To describe it as "Mint" was a disgrace, too.

Yeah, poor to fair would have been more accurate :(

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 24 Mar 2021, 07:08

KeithPratt wrote:I have two holdalls of assorted audio cables in the loft.."just in case" is a big issue in my psyche.

I think this is quite common. Mine are in two plastic boxes and have moved house with me twice. I'm sure several of them fit no devices that still function in this century.
Bugger off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2021, 10:30

I sort of collect art glass and ceramics. Except I don't really because I sell it.
But that seems quite a good solution because it means I get some of the pleasure of collecting - always being on the look out for stuff, the thrill of finding something you've always wanted, while eliminating some of the drawbacks of collecting - accumulating stuff you don't have room for, spending money that you don't really have etc.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2021, 10:32

Rorschach wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:I have two holdalls of assorted audio cables in the loft.."just in case" is a big issue in my psyche.

I think this is quite common. Mine are in two plastic boxes and have moved house with me twice. I'm sure several of them fit no devices that still function in this century.

But how do they get so tangled? That's what I've never been able to work out. I mean they're stationary objects - it shouldn't happen!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Mar 2021, 10:37

I used to kind of collect guitar pedals in that I would buy pretty much anything I saw at boot sales etc - they were always cheap and I got some great pedals (Boss Ce2 and BF1 for instance). People are more savvy these days though - it's easy to look on Reverb or Ebay to see what something is worth. I sold a lot of them a couple of years ago.

With things like CDs I have boxes of them but i never collected them. I just bought music and that was the music medium at the time. I never particularly cared for that medium - even minidisc was more pleasing.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 24 Mar 2021, 15:04

The Modernist wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

But how do they get so tangled? That's what I've never been able to work out. I mean they're stationary objects - it shouldn't happen!

It's mad, isn't it.
When I had wired earphones I would always fold them carefully and put them in a special pouch. Of course, every time I pulled them out I had to spend ten minutes disentangling them.
Bugger off.