What ails you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: What ails you?

Postby kath » 17 Mar 2021, 21:28

yomptepi wrote:
Hugh wrote:I developed vertigo in 2018. It has got better but still creeps up on me from time to time. In late 2019 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and now get vitamin B12 injunctions every three months. I’m much more tired than I used to be - it’s rare that I don’t crash out for half an hour or so around 6:30 in the evening.

None of that is particularly serious though so I’m not complaining.

Isn't having a nap in the early evening entirely normal. I have been doing it for years.

do people still sleep normal, regular hours? i lost that ability years ago. i don't get a long run of sleep. i take a series of naps.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 17 Mar 2021, 21:31

GoogaMooga wrote:I was just wondering, have any of you set yourself a goal with regard to how long you hope to live?

no. personal experience, i guess.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 17 Mar 2021, 23:56

I hope to live forever, but I was told that's not possible. With having been the sole breadwinner since 2007, to goal I have is to stay around long enough to make sure my family is financially covered. I'm almost there. Oh, and I want to see the final episode of Coronation Street.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Mar 2021, 04:36

My goal is to have as much fun as I can for the next ten years. If I get more, I’ll take ‘em but I want to do what I can while I can. Plenty of tine to sit in a rocking chair thinking of the good old days later. Carpe the damn deum and build memories.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Mar 2021, 04:49

yomptepi wrote:
Isn't having a nap in the early evening entirely normal. I have been doing it for years.

I don't often have the chance to have one but I always feel like I need one.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 18 Mar 2021, 11:03

Hugh wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Hugh wrote:I developed vertigo in 2018. It has got better but still creeps up on me from time to time. In late 2019 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and now get vitamin B12 injunctions every three months. I’m much more tired than I used to be - it’s rare that I don’t crash out for half an hour or so around 6:30 in the evening.

It’s not so much “I fancy a nap” as “I couldn’t stay awake if you put a gun to my head”. Tonight, I slept from about 6:20 to 7:00 and I’ve just woken up again from sleeping from about 8:10. I often fall asleep at lunchtime as well.

When I was ill before I was dignosed with type 2 diabetes and liver failure, I used to have to pull over on the side of the road and sleep. it just used to come over me in a rush and there was nothing I could do. I would get home aand sleep for two or three hours and then go to bed. There was absolutely no way I could fight it , and I nearly got into several accidents, especially if I was in a traffic jam and just passed out.
You don't like me...do you?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Mar 2021, 14:36

Hugh wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

It’s not so much “I fancy a nap” as “I couldn’t stay awake if you put a gun to my head”. Tonight, I slept from about 6:20 to 7:00 and I’ve just woken up again from sleeping from about 8:10. I often fall asleep at lunchtime as well.

Perhaps you got bit by a radioactive cat somewhere along the way, and this is your new superpower. Have you tried jumping lately?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Mar 2021, 14:38

Reading everyone else's replies, feel I should just note down 'mustn't grumble' and leave it at that, but as a fully-accredited self-important windbag...

I'm 72 (and a half). Quit tobacco (never much of a fan), boozing (to any extent - current UK 'safe' guideline is 14 'units' a week - I do maybe five or six a year) and haircuts in the 1980s: have been health-conscious about food since my 20s (without always putting my knowledge into practice), and a vegetarian since 2015, when I met my new partner, who has been one since she was at school. Never learned to drive (or ride a bike), and have been at least partially responsible for various dogs for the last 35 years, so always walked a lot, and I can still run (when there's a purpose to it - never ran for the hell of it), jump, climb (hills or stairs, never rocks or trees), and fall without doing much damage (being a football goalie and a long-term haven't-given-it-up-but-running-out-of-partners Frisbee freestyler really helps). I had a health check last year, blood pressure low to normal for my age, cholesterol (I take statins) and liver function normal. I'm officially overweight, with a BMI of around 27-28, but that's been the case most of my adult life, and it was a lot worse in my 40s. It fluctuates. And I had a bout of norovirus in 2014, but since then, not even a cold, at least, not that I noticed.

On the limited downside, just the the usual diminishing of sight, hearing and short-term memory (although not all of that is necessarily down to age :)), and vascular problems with my hands, which can sometimes be patriotically striped red, white (Raynaud's pheomenon) and blue (well, purple), and often fail to function completely when cold and wet - which, as I'm a gardener, they often are. But, really, mustn't grumble.

I've been extraordinarily lucky with my physical health, but, despite appearances, I'm not remotely smug about it. Many friends, relatives and acquaintances in my age cohort have had bouts with cancer, broken bones, arthritis, pneumonia, high blood pressure, heart arrhythmias, angina, pericarditis, diabetes, depression, scleroderma, early onset dementia, and so on – several are long dead – and I'm well aware of how that luck can change in a heartbeat. I'm also forever on the lookout for early signs of dementia, having seen my mother live with it for 15 years.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Mar 2021, 14:47

Recently turned 59.

I'm overweight (you may have noticed) but have just started (fortnight or so) to become disciplined with my eating - and getting regular walks too. In only 10 days I've lost 7 pounds... but early days and all that.

Haven't smoked for 28 years....still like a drink or two (gallons).

Don't have any other underlying health issues (no blood pressure worries, no diabetes etc). But have developed a weird thing called discoid exzema on my ankle in the past six months - which is FUCKING irritating at best and downright cruel at worst. Trying not to itch at night (ooh err) is bloody difficult. I'm treating it with all the moisturisers etc but it's not going anywhere (and my ankle has nasty scar tissue on it now).

But - besides those minor things.... all is good really. I'm a lucky bugger really.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 19 Mar 2021, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 14:52

Rayge wrote: I'm also forever on the lookout for early signs of dementia, having seen my mother live with it for 15 years.

That's one thing that really scares me. Both of my parents died with dementia so I'm statistically likely to get it. I've also been a fairly heavy drinker all my adult life, which doesn't help.

My memory is getting worse by the day, and I find at least a couple of times a week there's a word I should know that I simply cannot recall. I know it's normal to forget stuff, especially as you get older, but this feels like a bit worse than that. Probably/hopefully just hypochondria.
In my dad's case, I noticed in retrospect that he'd become boring in the decade or so before he was obviously losing it. He would go on at length about how interesting and important his job was, with a self-important air. Well, these days I notice people switch off not long after I've started telling a really interesting story/fact.
Sigh. At least I'm still aware that people think I'm a boring cunt.
Bugger off.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 18 Mar 2021, 15:17

Diamond Dog wrote:Recently turned 59.

I'm overweight (you may have noticed) but have just started (fortnight or so) to become disciplined with my eating - and getting regular walks too. In only 10 days I've lost 7 pounds... but early days and all that.

Don't have any other underlying health issues (no blood pressure worries, no diabetes etc). But have developed a weird thing called discoid exzema on my ankle in the past six months - which is FUCKING irritating at best and downright cruel at worst. Trying not to itch at night (ooh err) is bloody difficult. I'm treating it with all the moisturisers etc but it's not going anywhere (and my ankle has nasty scar tissue on it now).

But - besides those minor things.... all is good really. I'm a lucky bugget really.

My friend Nick used to get this. The only thing that touched it was an anti biotic cream. He hated going to the doctor, but when this got bad he had no choice. Have you seen your GP?
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Mar 2021, 16:45

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Recently turned 59.

But - besides those minor things.... all is good really. I'm a lucky bugget really.

My friend Nick used to get this. The only thing that touched it was an anti biotic cream. He hated going to the doctor, but when this got bad he had no choice. Have you seen your GP?

Yeah - went in October last year... did the prescribed cream which worked. It meant I could actually walk (my ankle was so swollen some days I was going to work in slippers -cue obvious joke- and getting lifts in and back) for awhile. The swelling went... but it comes back intermittently. I really should go back down and try to blitz it again. The itching really doesn't ever go.... luckily it's not contagious in any way so it's not stopped me going to work etc. Doctor says the reasons for it vary wildly but suggested the stress of my job possibly wasn't helping. I've also found that certain dairy products cause really bad flare ups - ice cream being the worst, which i just happen to love!! :cry: :x
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 18 Mar 2021, 17:22

yomptepi wrote:
Hugh wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

When I was ill before I was dignosed with type 2 diabetes and liver failure, I used to have to pull over on the side of the road and sleep. it just used to come over me in a rush and there was nothing I could do. I would get home aand sleep for two or three hours and then go to bed. There was absolutely no way I could fight it , and I nearly got into several accidents, especially if I was in a traffic jam and just passed out.

Yeah, anaemia is similar. Particularly in the couple of weeks before I’m due my quarterly B12 shot. Every time I get it I’m told I’ll be singing and dancing again within a couple of days but I’ve not yet experienced a massive boost to my energy levels.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Mar 2021, 17:50

kath wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

do people still sleep normal, regular hours? i lost that ability years ago. i don't get a long run of sleep. i take a series of naps.

My sleeping patterns are ridiculous. I tend to think it has to do with the stress of my job, but it is probably mainly a shit lifestyle.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 18:23

Positive Passion wrote:
kath wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

My sleeping patterns are ridiculous. I tend to think it has to do with the stress of my job, but it is probably mainly a shit lifestyle.

I need naps because I can't sleep much at night. In the last couple of years my wife has taken to snoring really loudly. All night.
I used to decamp to the spare room but it's been converted into my office for home working, and I can't sleep on the sofa because of my bad back.
Bugger off.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Mar 2021, 18:30

If this thread was a theme tune...

:D

Man, I can talk. You should hear me groan!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jock

Postby Jock » 18 Mar 2021, 19:08

I've just turned 66. Had a mini stroke in 2010, which i'm on medication for. I was very overweight.
I started exercising regularly which turned into running. Joined a club and everything :) .
I'm at the minute 13st 4 lbs. Was 17st 7 lbs. Like Hugh, though i'm on the quarterly B12 injection.
So, other than tiredness, which I expect, i'm pretty good.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Mar 2021, 04:47

Rayge wrote:
I've been extraordinarily lucky with my physical health

It's not all down to luck, it's how you've looked after yourself over a long period of time too and you seem to have taken care of yourself well, but shit can happen and something like cancer can strike the fittest of people (a 40 something fit-as-fuck trail runner I know died from brain cancer just last year in his prime), so health can never be taken for granted but a good lifestyle sure helps.

I'm 53, in good health and very active, never smoked, drink moderately and eat good food but I do feel age slowly creeping up. My stamina levels drop a little each year, I feel a little more achey after long periods of intense activity, I need to stretch and warm up more and more etc. just small things but I notice it.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Mar 2021, 04:51

Jock wrote:I've just turned 66. Had a mini stroke in 2010, which i'm on medication for. I was very overweight.
I started exercising regularly which turned into running. Joined a club and everything :) .
I'm at the minute 13st 4 lbs. Was 17st 7 lbs. Like Hugh, though i'm on the quarterly B12 injection.

You look in great shape from what I can see on FB. The running has done you the world of good.

Jock

Postby Jock » 19 Mar 2021, 09:57

trans-chigley express wrote:
Jock wrote:I've just turned 66. Had a mini stroke in 2010, which i'm on medication for. I was very overweight.

You look in great shape from what I can see on FB. The running has done you the world of good.

Thanks
Always Cheated Never Defeated