What ails you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rorschach

What ails you?

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 08:50

I remember when many of us started on the Mojo boards we were sprightly 40 somethings, but now look at us.

I just had physio for my back (semi-herniated disc) last night and I have to take 6 pain killers a day for that and the arthritis in my hands and wrists.

I recently fell over like an old twat and shattered my kneecap, which meant a leg completely in plaster for several weeks and more physio. Plus no running or similar so I've got even fatter. Which doesn't help with all the other stuff...

And I'm on pills for a slightly enlarged prostate, which makes me need to piss several times a night.

Getting old is shit.

How are the rest of you doing?
Bugger off.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: What ails you?

Postby Jimbo » 17 Mar 2021, 11:35

69 now. Prostate is now big enough the doc is suggesting the operation. But then I have good days and bad days, days and nights when I pee well and days and nights when I don't, so as of right now, today, there is no urgency for the op. I shattered my hip in a bicycle accident about - Shit, is it two years ago already? - but I still use a walking stick when I go for longish walks and need to take a painkiller daily. Thought I'd need a hip replacement but I am, thanks to being retired, ironically, in the best condition of my life. But if I keel over dead tomorrow I won't be surprised.
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. - Mahatma Gandhi

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 17 Mar 2021, 12:50

I am nearly 62 now, and seem to be holding up despite the torrent of letters from various government departments accusing me of being extremely vulnerable or critically vulnerable. I don't have any long term injuries or aches and pains and my blood pressure and blood sugar seems to be behaving very well, (probably due to stopping drinking). I guess all these huge walks, the fresh air and a life of leisure are working for me.
You don't like me...do you?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 17 Mar 2021, 13:27

i'm okay, really. could be better, could be worse.

i am 57. i smoke. i drink. a year ago, i had a full physical work-up ahead of some surgery. to my surprise, my only lung scarring was from a previous, near-fatal bout of pneumonia, after the birth of my son and a nasty uterine infection laid me up in '88. my liver was fine. i doubt my lungs and liver are in such great shape now, a year later, mwwhaha. it's been a year. from the bama era, i managed to drop 30 pounds and i got my A1C down from 10 to 6. how i managed this, i don't have a fucquin clue. i think after reap died, i was forced to... ya know, move.

i haven't been good to my body. after a life of spasticity, including multiple breaks, surgeries for shot wiring and the like, i feel it now. the worst is a bum right knee. i tore the meniscus and the ACL way back, and i'm hoping i won't need replacement surgery. it's a bitch, though. i still have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. the cure had a good chance of being worse than the problem, so i've left it.

i've had four surgeries on the left hand/wrist (i still fondly call it my hook hand) and one on the right for a popped tendon (i popped it puttin a scrunchie in my hair, that's just how i roll.) this means i am useless when it comes to precise, pressured fingery movements and barre chords. (and some of y'all think i dropped the cap shift key when i came online for aesthetic reasons. i was typing at the time with two fingers on my right hand. that's why i shortened everything, including my name. over time, i got comfy with it. "fucque", however, was an aesthetic choice, damn all those old music forum monitors.)

but i'm lucky not to be in pain on a daily basis. it really could be much worse, considering my track record.

the usual age crap applies when it comes to my eyesight and hearing. nuthin that reading specs and a volume setting at 11 can't help. oh, and my ability (or lack thereof) to heal just sucks. our stray cat outside took a swipe at my shin four days ago. (he's senile now and has an occasional mental glitch.) chi chi's still changing my bandage, as i am still fucquin bleeding from it. if i had been like this at age 20, i would've never survived.

i've survived, mwhahaha. the time will come when i no longer survive, but i'm not all that bothered by it. my remaining family, all three of em, know exactly how i feel. i've put all my affairs in order. i recommend everyone do the same, as in NOW. today. spare yer loved ones from having to deal with that extra level of crap. today could be yer last day. for any of us. just take care of it already. trust me on this.

oh, and rawk awn. (she tries to make devil horns, they come out shaky cuz of fingery problems... she flaunts it anyway.)

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 13:50

yomptepi wrote:I am nearly 62 now, and seem to be holding up despite the torrent of letters from various government departments accusing me of being extremely vulnerable or critically vulnerable. I don't have any long term injuries or aches and pains and my blood pressure and blood sugar seems to be behaving very well, (probably due to stopping drinking). I guess all these huge walks, the fresh air and a life of leisure are working for me.

Fuck off.
Bugger off.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 17 Mar 2021, 14:16

Rorschach wrote:
yomptepi wrote:I am nearly 62 now, and seem to be holding up despite the torrent of letters from various government departments accusing me of being extremely vulnerable or critically vulnerable. I don't have any long term injuries or aches and pains and my blood pressure and blood sugar seems to be behaving very well, (probably due to stopping drinking). I guess all these huge walks, the fresh air and a life of leisure are working for me.

Fuck off.

:lol:

well you did ask...

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 14:40

Just you wait till you're 64! Then you'll see...
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Mar 2021, 14:46

diabetes type 2
lymphoedema
stiff neck
20 Pall Mall's a day
5 cans of Pepsi a day
126 kilos

... other than that I am fine.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 17 Mar 2021, 15:19

60 here. (Still too young for a vaccine here!)

I turned 60 late last year, during a second 2-week stay at the hospital. I have developed permanent damage to internal organs, especially my liver. At first, it looked like I would need a transplant, but that has gone by the wayside as my body seems to have recovered enough

I celebrated 30 years in my job while at home in recovery. My team sent me a beautiful bouquet which helped with getting over myself.

Not a pill guy at all, I now take plenty to manage my low blood pressure and high water retention. I now get up about 4 times a night to pee too, even when I manage to limit my intake to a half-glass of Pepsi in the evening. Most annoying.

I still smoke about 20 a day but am working up my psyche to move to quit that nasty habit.

Things are getting better though. Spring is coming. I need long walks which has been difficult these past few months with the weather and snow/ice everywhere.

Believe it or not, I think being forced to stay home and take care of myself has actually been helped somewhat by shut-downs and the likes due to the damned pandemic.

Cheers.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Mar 2021, 15:24

Fucking hell love.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Mar 2021, 17:10

Pushing 60. All things considered, not in bad shape. I'm working on eating better and exercising more. As of now I'm not extreme in either direction. I've lost about 10 pounds in the past year, just need to do that twice more and I'll be at a decent weight.

After attempting to get it down with diet and exercise, I finally had my doctor convince me to go on blood pressure meds a couple years ago. It seems to be helping, but in general I prefer to take as few meds as possible, so maybe I can ween myself off someday. Other than vitamin supplements, though, that's it.

Despite some bad habits - I don't drink to excess very often, but I do drink often in general, and I gave up cigs years ago but still am good friends with Willie Nelson, if you catch my drift - I think I'm doing pretty well all told. I do have some good habits too - I'll take the stairs rather than the elevator (particularly now!), won't get in the car to travel two blocks, have all but eliminated processed sugar outside the occasional treat, and am pretty good at avoiding stress.

If I imagined myself pushing 60 when I was in my 20s, I guess it looked pretty much like this. Could be better, but could be way worse.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 17 Mar 2021, 18:48

I'm 55, in decent shape generally, and keep on having ideas about what to do next.
I seem to have oint issues - over the years I have had wear and tear problems with both knees, both elbows, and both shoulders. My left shoulder seems to resolving itself, so hopefully that will be that.
Very recently I had 4 days off work sick - my first sick days for 20 plus years. I was having very powerful dizzy spells. Turned out to be something to do with crystals in my right ear. I am still not completely over it, and I do not like the dizzy feeling.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 17 Mar 2021, 18:57

I'm 60. When I was 18 I had a pretty severe brain aneurysm that left me partially paralyzed on my right side. I recovered for the most part (except for a wonky face) but ever since then I feel like I live on borrowed time. Played soccer 2-3 times a week until I Ieft Singapore at age 44. Played squash 2-3 times a week until I was 50. Went to the gym daily up until abt. 4 years ago. I'm planning to pick that up again after I've had my jab. Have always worked hard but played harder. Alcohol & Tobacco have been my best friends since I was 16 or so. Those habits pretty much cancelled out the exercise etc. Of course there have been periods on the wagon but those have been few and far between. I had my 'annual' 2 weeks ago. Most blood values (way) too high, about 15 kilos overweight, pretty unfit. But I blame it all on the lock-down. This summer I'll get back into shape without additional medication (I mean other than Rye Whiskey and Marlboro) to keep down cholesterol and all that shit. The only problem I really have is that I have an ADD disorder. When i was young I had pretty cool pills for that but I can't take those any more. They give me tremors like I'm a Parkinson's patient and that's not the case (yet). That leaves booze to help me not to be too big of a burden on my family. It was my first doctor's visit in 10 years or so, so now they want me to do all that stuff old people are supposed to do: colonoscopy, ECG, lung scan, brain scan, the whole shebang. I don't think I will go for that. I feel good although I know I'm not healthy. If I had some sort of cancer I wouldn't seek treatment anyway so what's the point of going on that medical rollercoaster ride? I've lived on 3 continents, travelled to numerous countries, brought 6 kids into adulthood and the 7th one (now 16) will be off to University in 3 years. Then I'm done. I've lived a full life. It ain't over 'til it's over but when it is, I will be ready with only a few regrets. One of which is that I've never seen Lou Reed live. Well, that's not going to happen in this life anyway, so who knows?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 17 Mar 2021, 19:05

souphound wrote:60 here. (Still too young for a vaccine here!)

I turned 60 late last year, during a second 2-week stay at the hospital. I have developed permanent damage to internal organs, especially my liver. At first, it looked like I would need a transplant, but that has gone by the wayside as my body seems to have recovered enough

I celebrated 30 years in my job while at home in recovery. My team sent me a beautiful bouquet which helped with getting over myself.

Not a pill guy at all, I now take plenty to manage my low blood pressure and high water retention. I now get up about 4 times a night to pee too, even when I manage to limit my intake to a half-glass of Pepsi in the evening. Most annoying.

I still smoke about 20 a day but am working up my psyche to move to quit that nasty habit.

Things are getting better though. Spring is coming. I need long walks which has been difficult these past few months with the weather and snow/ice everywhere.

Believe it or not, I think being forced to stay home and take care of myself has actually been helped somewhat by shut-downs and the likes due to the damned pandemic.

Cheers.

i hope you have a luvly spring and yer able to get the vax soon.

i hope everyone has a better time.

yeah, i need to quit smoking. i had actually quit for a year and a half, but i lost that resolve when the beezle had her fall.

i'm pretty good with my diet these days, but as i said in my last post, my main vices, smoking and drinking, i have all the more happily indulged in for this past year. i guess my attitude has been, well, if i'm careful enough not to get the plague, i can throw all other caution to the wind, mwhaha. i've had my first dose of vax, waiting on the second... but after the covid nightmare here, i'm starting to feel positive. downright upbeat, that we can reach an end to this horrible period. i am hopeful.

i even bought myself a new swim suit the other day. mwhahaha. i am ready to get out with my scar-ridden self. i'm gonna cannonball my son the first chance i get. this is my new goal. he's been askin for it.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 17 Mar 2021, 19:18

I developed vertigo in 2018. It has got better but still creeps up on me from time to time. In late 2019 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and now get vitamin B12 injunctions every three months. I’m much more tired than I used to be - it’s rare that I don’t crash out for half an hour or so around 6:30 in the evening.

None of that is particularly serious though so I’m not complaining.

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Mar 2021, 19:30

I have Dupuytrens contracture in my right hand, fifth digit. I’ve had it for a good ten years but it has been barely noticeable until about six months ago.
It is caused by growths on the tendons of the hands and most common with people from Northern Europe. My pinky is now bent inward about 70 degrees and can’t be flattened and it hurts to push it flat. So far function in that hand is still pretty good and the treatment or surgery is temporary as the nodes grow back over time. It would take a lot for me to surrender to surgery since it isn’t a permanent fix. So far my left hand is clear. It doesn’t have any effect on my guitar playing which is good otherwise I might be more interested in surgery.

Other than that I am pretty healthy for my age. I take no meds, just a few supplements. My diet is good. I drink a half bottle of wine a day with dinner. I take regular walks in the park. I could do more in that regard but I don’t. :). I am 66 yo.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 17 Mar 2021, 20:35

Hugh wrote:I developed vertigo in 2018. It has got better but still creeps up on me from time to time. In late 2019 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and now get vitamin B12 injunctions every three months. I’m much more tired than I used to be - it’s rare that I don’t crash out for half an hour or so around 6:30 in the evening.

Isn't having a nap in the early evening entirely normal. I have been doing it for years.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Mar 2021, 21:03

Me too.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Mar 2021, 21:03

I was just wondering, have any of you set yourself a goal with regard to how long you hope to live? I need at least 12 more years to even get through the best of my stuff. I know it's a bit pointless, I could get hit by a car tomorrow, or have a stroke in five minutes' time, but with my condition, is it too unrealistic to hope to reach 70, at least? I knew a guy once, my age, who was so sure of himself, he openly declared, "I decide when I want to go!"
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 17 Mar 2021, 21:13

yomptepi wrote:
Hugh wrote:I developed vertigo in 2018. It has got better but still creeps up on me from time to time. In late 2019 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and now get vitamin B12 injunctions every three months. I’m much more tired than I used to be - it’s rare that I don’t crash out for half an hour or so around 6:30 in the evening.

Isn't having a nap in the early evening entirely normal. I have been doing it for years.

It’s not so much “I fancy a nap” as “I couldn’t stay awake if you put a gun to my head”. Tonight, I slept from about 6:20 to 7:00 and I’ve just woken up again from sleeping from about 8:10. I often fall asleep at lunchtime as well.