The greatest fictional detective...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
never/ever

Re: The greatest fictional detective...

Postby never/ever » 27 Feb 2021, 23:33

Belle Lettre wrote:I suppose Van der Valk isn't really Dutch :D

Cringeworthy.
Poms doing Dutch drama. What were they thinking?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Feb 2021, 02:47

We also got Van der Valk in Denmark, but I only remember the canal scenes and of course, the brilliant theme music by Tony Hatch, the guy who did "Downtown" for Pet Clark.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Feb 2021, 09:36

never/ever wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:I suppose Van der Valk isn't really Dutch :D

Cringeworthy.
Poms doing Dutch drama. What were they thinking?

I still think it’s a great tv tec show, especially the early ones. There’s something about seeing the city in a fairly shabby state, with an emphasis on the prosaic and mundane, rather than relying on ‘spectacle’.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 28 Feb 2021, 10:58

GoogaMooga wrote:We also got Van der Valk in Denmark, but I only remember the canal scenes and of course, the brilliant theme music by Tony Hatch, the guy who did "Downtown" for Pet Clark.

In the UK the theme music was Eye Level, which as it happens was written by a Dutch guy. A recording of it went to number 1.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Feb 2021, 11:45

Positive Passion wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:We also got Van der Valk in Denmark, but I only remember the canal scenes and of course, the brilliant theme music by Tony Hatch, the guy who did "Downtown" for Pet Clark.

In the UK the theme music was Eye Level, which as it happens was written by a Dutch guy. A recording of it went to number 1.

Then my Tony Hatch recording is just a cover.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Feb 2021, 18:09

Charlie O. wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:
C wrote:The other thing that made Columbo so special for me were the guest stars the 'murderers':

Honor Blackman, Robert Culp, Anne Baxter, Leonard Nimoy, Janet Leigh, Tyne Daly, Faye Dunaway, William Shatner, Patrick McGoohan, Jack Cassidy, Roddy McDowall, Donald Pleasence, Johnny Cash and Billy Connolly come immediately to mind.

Great stuff!

..and Ray Milland!

Lee Grant, Ruth Gordon, John Cassavetes, Laurence Harvey, Theodore Bikel, Louis Jourdan, George Wendt...

Indeed Chas

What I really fancy is a decent replica of Columbo's car number plate

There were two: The original number plate at NBC was 044-APD. But after the move to ABC, his plate number has been 448-DBZ. Clear shots of it are infrequent, but can be seen on Murder, Smoke and Shadows

I bought a replica in this country but it was rubbish so I threw it away.

So, Chas - if there is anywhere in the USofA please send me the link

Thanks

Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Feb 2021, 18:22

C -

This might be a good place to start ... https://www.rebelcar.fr/license-plate-c ... riolet.htm

There is also one on eBay .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Columbo-Peter- ... 0521952167

Good luck .. :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Mar 2021, 20:17

Flower wrote:C -

This might be a good place to start ... https://www.rebelcar.fr/license-plate-c ... riolet.htm

There is also one on eBay .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Columbo-Peter- ... 0521952167

Thanks Flower

The second one was the one I bought. The postage was as much as the plate. It’s tacky and wasn’t realistic

Silly buying it really but hey - binned

The top link is more promising it’s closer to the real colour and the figures are embossed.

The trouble is with postage it’s 70 euros which is a bit of a risk if I buy that too and it disappoints.

It does talk about contacting them re: any requirements. Probably it being a bit distressed would look better - plus the tax disc(?) that goes in the indentation rectangles.

It seems to me that somebody who did it right could make some decent money here. It can’t be hard to do a ‘better’ job

Thanks again for the links- I’m looking for that third one.....

Jumper K wrote: I can't believe that you'd vote for the dinosaur musings of someone like, lets say C for example, over the choices of a younger more thrusting, engaging scamp such as myself. Prehistoric indeed.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 01 Mar 2021, 20:56

Belle Lettre wrote:Maigret for me. Currently working my way through the lot.

Same here. I have been collecting original Penguin " green cover " copies of these books for the past year or so. I just love them. At the moment I am halfway through Maigret and the 100 gibets. Which is wonderful.
You don't like me...do you?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Mar 2021, 21:12

Yomp, I only glanced at your post and thought it said you were working your way through Maigret and 100 giblets, which sounded quite dreadful!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 02 Mar 2021, 07:12

Only a maigre repast.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Mar 2021, 10:31

Samoan wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Got to be Rebus for me, but not on TV. Solves crimes by hanging around Edinburgh bars, drinking with unsavoury types. Sounds like the perfect job.

I haven't read any of the novels but Rebus is a big favourite of mine too although not John Hannah's Rebus but Ken Stott. I think he's incredibly attractive, particularly his accent.

When John Hannah originally played him, I thought, "what were they thinking, they should have gone straight for Ken Stott". When Ken Stott played him, I thought there was still something missing, it just didn't work for me. Not crumpled enough, and not hard-bitten enough underneath. So I stuck to the books.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Mar 2021, 13:37

C wrote:

Thanks Flower

The second one was the one I bought. The postage was as much as the plate. It’s tacky and wasn’t realistic

The top link is more promising it’s closer to the real colour and the figures are embossed.

The trouble is with postage it’s 70 euros which is a bit of a risk if I buy that too and it disappoints.

It does talk about contacting them re: any requirements. Probably it being a bit distressed would look better - plus the tax disc(?) that goes in the indentation rectangles.

It seems to me that somebody who did it right could make some decent money here. It can’t be hard to do a ‘better’ job

C ~ Can you get the numbers/letters that you want on a "vanity plate" for your own car?
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 02 Mar 2021, 15:18

The Continental Op, of course.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 02 Mar 2021, 16:33

I'm a fan of Columbo and Agatha Christie as well. Columbo is just so watchable. It moves along at a nice medium pace, not too slow, not too fast, not too clever, not too dumb, not too funny, not too dreary - just perfectly in the middle. And as has been mentioned the use of guest stars was brilliant and i think fairly unique for its time - the one with Johnny Cash is just immense, and there is an interesting one with Janet Leigh where she reflects back on her own movies.

And Poirot and Marple are just marvelous creations. One foreign, the other as English as scones, both perfectly weaved into the stories which are often beautifully told and infuriatingly clever. A story like Five Little Pigs is so moving and devastating, and even a story like Crooked House there is basically nothing that happens until the jaw-dropping ending that hits you like a tonne of bricks. I'm also always so interested in how she integrated world events into her stories, from well-known events like the Lindbergh child to the aftermath of the wars.

Small related anecdote here - I'll never forget when I was learning to read English, probably aged about 11, and reading Death on the Nile - and I must have read the first 2 chapters 20 times because they made no sense, in the first chapter she's engaged to one guy and in the next she is married to another - i couldn't make head or tails of it and I assumed it was my poor understanding of English that was the problem. Eventually I broke through the next chapters and it all starts to hang together, but I could probalby still quote you the entirety of those first two chapters because of the amount of times I had to read them!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 02 Mar 2021, 16:41

I think I've mentioned this in the past but i think it's a shame that the best of the "Nordic Noir" series never really became very well-known outside of Sweden (and Germany, I think), which is Beck. The Beck series predates The Killing and the rest of the Nordic Noir series - the books are from the 60s and 70s and a handful of movies from the 70s and 80s, but it's really the TV series from the mid-90s onwards that are the best, largely because of the emergence of one of the best Swedish actors of the last 30 years Mikael Persbrandt who actually plays second fiddle to Beck but chews up every scene he's in. And while the series can be quite dark and violent, there are always a handful of predictable, offbeat Columbo-like moments - mainly Beck's relationship with his eccentric neighbour - that provide necessary relief.

I would also highlight the original Wallenders as well, especially while the much-missed Johanna Sallstrom played the daughter. And a recent series called Rebecka Martinsson started very promisingly with the amazing Ida Engvoll but unfortunately she left for the second series (although not strictly a detective).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Mar 2021, 16:56

Flower wrote:
C wrote:

Thanks Flower

C ~ Can you get the numbers/letters that you want on a "vanity plate" for your own car?

Yes but the format, layout etc are different in UK plates.

For example, White or yellow as opposed to blue

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Mar 2021, 16:58

Geezee wrote:I'm a fan of Columbo and Agatha Christie as well. Columbo is just so watchable. It moves along at a nice medium pace, not too slow, not too fast, not too clever, not too dumb, not too funny, not too dreary - just perfectly in the middle. And as has been mentioned the use of guest stars was brilliant and i think fairly unique for its time - the one with Johnny Cash is just immense, and there is an interesting one with Janet Leigh where she reflects back on her own movies.

And Poirot and Marple are just marvelous creations. One foreign, the other as English as scones, both perfectly weaved into the stories which are often beautifully told and infuriatingly clever. A story like Five Little Pigs is so moving and devastating, and even a story like Crooked House there is basically nothing that happens until the jaw-dropping ending that hits you like a tonne of bricks. I'm also always so interested in how she integrated world events into her stories, from well-known events like the Lindbergh child to the aftermath of the wars.

Small related anecdote here - I'll never forget when I was learning to read English, probably aged about 11, and reading Death on the Nile - and I must have read the first 2 chapters 20 times because they made no sense, in the first chapter she's engaged to one guy and in the next she is married to another - i couldn't make head or tails of it and I assumed it was my poor understanding of English that was the problem. Eventually I broke through the next chapters and it all starts to hang together, but I could probalby still quote you the entirety of those first two chapters because of the amount of times I had to read them!

Nice post.

Good lad

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Mar 2021, 18:27

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Mar 2021, 18:55

Belle Lettre wrote:Only a maigre repast.

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.