Polar Vortex

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Polar Vortex

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Feb 2021, 23:00

More Texas tales: I had not been able to get through to my vet all week and my cat was running out of painkillers. Eventually I went down there today not knowing if it was open or closed to see my cat's vet pacing round reception with a mop. The entire surgery flooded and all systems down, things floating around. She incredibly sweetly gave me some medications and said I could pay whenever, upon which all I could think about was the increasingly annoyed tone my voice had adopted when I had called their helpline during the week :(

ANYWAY then we went past our local supermarket where a truck with Trump signs on the back (rarely seen in this hood) was selling firewood from the back. This would actively dissuade people from purchasing, and the truck disappeared with just the wood left behind so nobody knew the political persuasion of the pockets they were lining :D

We've got a bucket out back collecting falling icicles. This is going to be flushing our bog over the weekend with some spared for washing dishes. Once that is done we're gonna be doing our business in the yard like nature intended. The Indian shop we went to earlier (no fucking way I am queuing for three hours to get in HEB) only had onions and eggplant as vegetables, so there will be lots of onion noodles, perhaps with noodles boiled in tonic water. Water may or may not be resumed this weekend. However, we have heat and the sun is breaking through. Somewhere in the icy kitchen lies alcohol in many forms, and I don't think it's too early to start.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Feb 2021, 23:58

Glad to hear things are a little better in your world. My mom returned to her house after soending the last three at her sister’s house who isn’t far away but somehow hadn’t lost,power.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Feb 2021, 06:09

Man, I can't believe what you guys in Texas are going through. Even my friends in the Rio Grande Valley have been dealing with the days-long power outages.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 21 Feb 2021, 18:28

I feel so bad how hard Texas got hit. Does anyone know of any local, worthwhile organizations helping people where I can donate?
The crazy music drives you insane

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 22 Feb 2021, 07:53

Livet wrote:I feel so bad how hard Texas got hit. Does anyone know of any local, worthwhile organizations helping people where I can donate?

Probably not what you're after, but AOC has raised loads of money with some Twitter thing. I haven't had time to look into it so I don't know how it works.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Feb 2021, 10:25

John Oliver suggests http://www.feedingtexas.org

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 22 Feb 2021, 16:07

Rorschach wrote:
Livet wrote:I feel so bad how hard Texas got hit. Does anyone know of any local, worthwhile organizations helping people where I can donate?

Probably not what you're after, but AOC has raised loads of money with some Twitter thing. I haven't had time to look into it so I don't know how it works.

I gave money to AOC's thing, which sends money to lots of places. I would look to Gregorio Casar's twitter feed . . . he's an activist city councilman in Austin. I'll try to come up with some other links after I'm through this crazy Monday.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 22 Feb 2021, 18:30

Dr. Baron wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I gave money to AOC's thing, which sends money to lots of places. I would look to Gregorio Casar's twitter feed . . . he's an activist city councilman in Austin. I'll try to come up with some other links after I'm through this crazy Monday.

Thanks all, I found the AOC link.
The crazy music drives you insane

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 22 Feb 2021, 22:09

Well, that's been fun in Tomball TX. And it's not over yet! Power went off last week Sunday night. A coupe of nights it was as low as -24C. Power came back on Thursday afternoon but we waited with switching on the electric water pump (we have our own well) until the freezing temps were well over. That was last Saturday afternoon. We switched it on but had to quickly turn it off again because 2 pipes in the attic had burst. Luckily there's a separate outlet at the pump. We attached some hoses so we can at least get water to the horses and fill up buckets for our own use. Plumbers are quite busy. I managed to get an appointment. For March 29th.... Until them we're gonna party like it's 1899.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Feb 2021, 22:56

Oh my god.
When I wrote that we had it easy when other folks didn’t, you are the exact kind of other folks I refer to.
I’m so sorry!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Feb 2021, 01:52

mudshark wrote:Well, that's been fun in Tomball TX. And it's not over yet! Power went off last week Sunday night. A coupe of nights it was as low as -24C. Power came back on Thursday afternoon but we waited with switching on the electric water pump (we have our own well) until the freezing temps were well over. That was last Saturday afternoon. We switched it on but had to quickly turn it off again because 2 pipes in the attic had burst. Luckily there's a separate outlet at the pump. We attached some hoses so we can at least get water to the horses and fill up buckets for our own use. Plumbers are quite busy. I managed to get an appointment. For March 29th.... Until them we're gonna party like it's 1899.

That’s horrible. Best of luck , hope you manage ok till March !

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 23 Feb 2021, 03:21

geezuss. love and all well-wishery to you and yers, mudshark.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 23 Feb 2021, 03:28

Jesus H, mudshark, that was my nightmare scenario (apart from hypothermia and untimely death).
Glad you can at least still access some water.
Sheesh.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 23 Feb 2021, 07:15

mudshark wrote:Well, that's been fun in Tomball TX. And it's not over yet! Power went off last week Sunday night. A coupe of nights it was as low as -24C. Power came back on Thursday afternoon but we waited with switching on the electric water pump (we have our own well) until the freezing temps were well over. That was last Saturday afternoon. We switched it on but had to quickly turn it off again because 2 pipes in the attic had burst. Luckily there's a separate outlet at the pump. We attached some hoses so we can at least get water to the horses and fill up buckets for our own use. Plumbers are quite busy. I managed to get an appointment. For March 29th.... Until them we're gonna party like it's 1899.

Fucking hell! That's terrible. How did you keep warm?

This stuff really isn't what you expect in the richest country in the world. We had a three hour power outage in our block a couple of weeks ago and I was muttering about living in a third world country.
Bugger off.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Feb 2021, 09:38

kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 23 Feb 2021, 19:40

We're living in the greatest third world country on the planet!
How did we stay warm? Blankets and Bourbon.
Let me rephrase: those items kept us from freezing.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 23 Feb 2021, 20:34

mudshark wrote:We're living in the greatest third world country on the planet!

It really should be a scandal that topples the State government and relegates the Republican Party to the dustbin of history, but we all know how it will go. :roll:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 24 Feb 2021, 00:34

Dr. Baron wrote:

It really should be a scandal that topples the State government and relegates the Republican Party to the dustbin of history, but we all know how it will go. :roll:

Not so fast. I just read in our local media that there is now a conspiracy theory blaming the Texas snow and associated cold (or vice versa) to Biden and Gates. They orchestrated this to punish the state for not voting blue.

Will it never cease?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Feb 2021, 02:50

Dr. Baron wrote:

Wait - you mean this isn't all the fault of wind turbines??

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 24 Feb 2021, 08:10

Charlie O. wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:

Wait - you mean this isn't all the fault of wind turbines??

Fucking wind turbines!

OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!

They massacre the national bird, cause cancer, just with the noise they make!!!, and now this.

And now the sheeple are trying to blame this on true Christian PATRIOT Republicans!!

March on the Capitol. NOW!!!

Love, Q
Bugger off.