Reese's Rounds and other imports

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Reese's Rounds and other imports

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Feb 2021, 18:26

I've gone through several candy bar phases in my life, and most of them have been good experiences, providing me with a cheap and quick sugar fix to help me get though the day. America has been a world leader in candy bars, those cheap, chewy milk chocolate bars with a soft center. My first was the Milky Way, in the 1960s, which probably only cost a few pennies back then. It was a nickel in America, then rose to 10 cents by the end of the decade. Bounty followed, and Mars, Snickers, Kit Kat (British), Ritter Sport Macadamia (German), and my latest love, Green & Black Milk Chocolate with Butterscotch, which costs something like £3 in Denmark.

For chewiness and value for money, nothing beats a Mars Bar straight from the fridge. American biscuits have been disappointing, though. Oreos so-called "creme" is anything but cream: originally pig fat, now vegetable oil. And Reese's Rounds - just had my first this evening, but I couldn't get through a pack of six biscuits. It's just too alien to me, peanut butter stuffed in biscuits.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck