Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 10273
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby John aka Josh » 24 Jan 2021, 23:33

This coming Wednesday (27th Jan) is the UK's National Holocaust Memorial Day.

HMD is held on the 27 January to mark the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp. I've not attended a National HMD ceremony, but started going to my local one a couple of years ago. It's normally held in a theatre in Poole, but obviously wasn't this year, so there was a Zoomed ceremony this afternoon. As usual there were poems, pledges, moments of reflection and also testimonies from survivors or witnesses from the various genocides. These, as they were today, are incredibly powerful and moving, they can be harrowing.

HMD is a time to remember not just the six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust, and the millions of people killed under Nazi Persecution, but also the genocides which followed in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, and Darfur.

There is a ceremony that will be streamed live from 7 - 8 pm, you need to register to get the link in advance https://www.hmd.org.uk/uk-holocaust-memorial-day-2021-ceremony/.

Even if you unable to watch the ceremony you can show your support by joining households across the UK in lighting candles at 8pm and safely putting them in their windows to:

- Remember those who were murdered for who they were
- Stand against prejudice and hatred today

If you're able to take a photo of your candle and post it on social media, please do so with the following hashtags.

#HolocaustMemorialDay #LightTheDarkness
Image

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9115
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby Flower » 25 Jan 2021, 13:24

Siren blares in Israel, opening (virtual) Holocaust Remembrance Day events

https://www.timesofisrael.com/siren-bla ... ay-events/

10 a.m. siren, which typically brings public spaces to a standstill, observed indoors, where survivors will remember in solitude

A two-minute-long siren sounded throughout Israel at 10 a.m. Tuesday to remember Holocaust victims and signal the start of the main daytime Holocaust Remembrance Day ceremonies, which are taking place in the shadow of the coronavirus pandemic that has claimed the lives of many survivors.

The siren typically brings Israeli outdoor life to a standstill. Pedestrians stand in place, buses stop on busy streets and cars pull over on major highways, their drivers standing on the roads with their heads bowed.

But this year, the streets were already mostly empty, with cafes and restaurants, typically shut down for the remembrance day, already closed. The country has been in near lockdown mode for more than a month trying to staunch the spread of a virus that has killed more than 180 and put a quarter of the country out of work.

Holocaust Remembrance Day is one of the most solemn dates on the Israeli calendar. Survivors typically attend remembrance ceremonies, share stories with teenagers and participate in memorial marches at former concentration camps in Europe.



:(
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 61340
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby C » 25 Jan 2021, 18:50

Count me in John

We light candles every evening but will make sure they are synchronised to 8pm [UK]

I'm not sure about the hashtags though - I might be able to manage something on Facebook...





.
LMG wrote:I carelessly remarked that my noisy neighbour deserved a sharp word. [for disturbance]
The next day his semi-naked body was found staked out in his garden, a copy of GG's album cover Giant For A Day situated where his head had previously been attached

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 10273
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby John aka Josh » 25 Jan 2021, 20:48

C wrote:Count me in John

We light candles every evening but will make sure they are synchronised to 8pm [UK]

I'm not sure about the hashtags though - I might be able to manage something on Facebook...





.





Excellent.


I've no social media presence at all.
Image

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 10273
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby John aka Josh » 25 Jan 2021, 21:03

Flower wrote:Siren blares in Israel, opening (virtual) Holocaust Remembrance Day events

https://www.timesofisrael.com/siren-bla ... ay-events/

10 a.m. siren, which typically brings public spaces to a standstill, observed indoors, where survivors will remember in solitude

A two-minute-long siren sounded throughout Israel at 10 a.m. Tuesday to remember Holocaust victims and signal the start of the main daytime Holocaust Remembrance Day ceremonies, which are taking place in the shadow of the coronavirus pandemic that has claimed the lives of many survivors.

The siren typically brings Israeli outdoor life to a standstill. Pedestrians stand in place, buses stop on busy streets and cars pull over on major highways, their drivers standing on the roads with their heads bowed.

But this year, the streets were already mostly empty, with cafes and restaurants, typically shut down for the remembrance day, already closed. The country has been in near lockdown mode for more than a month trying to staunch the spread of a virus that has killed more than 180 and put a quarter of the country out of work.

Holocaust Remembrance Day is one of the most solemn dates on the Israeli calendar. Survivors typically attend remembrance ceremonies, share stories with teenagers and participate in memorial marches at former concentration camps in Europe.



:(




Thanks for the post.
Image

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead
Posts: 18268
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby Jimbo » 26 Jan 2021, 01:08

To be honest, maybe it's because I am lazy but I am not moved enough to do stuff in memory of stuff. Punching a Nazi. Now that is something. Lighting a candle... probably won't.

Or maybe I will! Thanks for the reminder Josh.
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead
Posts: 18268
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby Jimbo » 26 Jan 2021, 02:17

I knew very well two victims of the camps, Rabbi Herman Eisner and his wife, my mother's best friend, Manya. Their adopted son, Murray, whom I babysat, was like my brother. Murray was adopted because Manya was sterilized at the camp. Mom told me. They both had the IBM numbers tattooed on their forearms. Rabbi, as I always called him, might be the person who started me in the conspiracy game when he wondered aloud to me why hadn't President Roosevelt bombed the train tracks which led to the death camps? (Why didn't he?) But Rabbi and Manya never talked much about their experiences to me but I'd glimpse those tattoos from time to time. I read a number of novels about the era, Exodus, Forged In Fury, the Warsaw Ghetto book by Mitchner? It's been a while. Not too long ago I had to drive Manya someplace and she told me how she'd recently returned to Czechoslovakia to see stuff and I listened politely but between her accent and her tears I really caught few details about her trip. Seeing the movie Judgement At Nuremberg was a revelation, especially the ending with the actual film of bodies bulldozed into the earth. Maybe I am overly cynical but I find the mawkishness and sentimentality, i.e., lighting a candle, a little too much. Neither am I a fan of museums and large sites memorializing the event. Dunno know why. Probably something to do with self-hatred, I guess. Nowadays I am angered at how the US and friends feted and allowed into the country and into our government ex-Nazis via Operation Paperclip.
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2858
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby Hightea » 26 Jan 2021, 15:37

Thanks for the reminder of Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Lost at least two relatives at Auschwitz although many more got killed in their home town.
Guess the Remembrance here is at 1pm tomorrow.

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9115
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby Flower » 26 Jan 2021, 17:57

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 10273
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby John aka Josh » 26 Jan 2021, 23:58

Jimbo wrote: Maybe I am overly cynical but I find the mawkishness and sentimentality, i.e., lighting a candle, a little too much. Neither am I a fan of museums and large sites memorializing the event.





I get that.

Remember, it's not just to remember those that have already been killed but to raise awareness/take a stand against those suffering from prejudice and hatred today. At my local HMD events there are representatives from muslim, BAME, gay/bi/trans communities among others. It's also to help educate & inform - there are still Holocaust deniers out there.



Operation Paperclip is a dark shadow indeed.
Image

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9115
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day UK - Light a Candle Wednesday 27th Jan 8pm

Postby Flower » 27 Jan 2021, 12:51

Image
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.