Balls!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
C
Robust

Balls!

Postby C » 21 Jan 2021, 15:01

I found this really interesting:

https://balls.com/rules/which-ball-is-bigger.html

kath wrote:(editor's note: the frank bouncebouncebounce for me is different and distinct from all other bouncebouncebounces.)

Fonz

Re: Balls!

Postby Fonz » 21 Jan 2021, 15:23

Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Jan 2021, 15:59

C wrote:I found this really interesting:

https://balls.com/rules/which-ball-is-bigger.html

Interesting, yes. I was curious about 2 things:

1) Why is the sport called "team handball"? Surely there is no such thing as solo handball!

2) I'm curious how they would rate/measure an American football, it not being a classic globe. Same would be true of rugby which is not shown for the same reasons I guess.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Jan 2021, 16:10

souphound wrote:
1) Why is the sport called "team handball"? Surely there is no such thing as solo handball!

In the US, perhaps elsewhere, there is a game called "handball" which a bit like squash without a racquet - you bash a ball against a wall with gloved hands. In the UK we call the similar game Fives.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Jan 2021, 16:14

souphound wrote:
2) I'm curious how they would rate/measure an American football, it not being a classic globe. Same would be true of rugby which is not shown for the same reasons I guess.

And an aussie rules ball.
They don't include volume in the stats, of course, which would provide a comparison. But C can probably tell us how to calculate the volume of an ellipsoid.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Jan 2021, 16:19

Positive Passion wrote:
souphound wrote:

In the US, perhaps elsewhere, there is a game called "handball" which a bit like squash without a racquet - you bash a ball against a wall with gloved hands. In the UK we call the similar game Fives.

Ah, yes, makes sense. Brings to mind jai alai which I know nothing about. :oops:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Jan 2021, 16:24

Positive Passion wrote:
souphound wrote:

And an aussie rules ball.
They don't include volume in the stats, of course, which would provide a comparison. But C can probably tell us how to calculate the volume of an ellipsoid.

Understood. That would be really cool. C? (btw, a Canadian football is of different dimensions as well.)

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Jan 2021, 17:10

The volume of an ellipsoid is

V=4/3x π x a x b x c

Where a, b and c are the lengths of the three axes from the centre of the solid

It is best shown here with a calculator tool below

You will remember from your secondary school maths lessons that the formula is 'similar' to that of a sphere which could be considered a 'regular' ellipsoid where the three axis from the centre of the sphere would be the same length - that is the radius [r]

V=4/3x π x r x r x r

Simplified to 'four thirds, pi, r cubed'

Calculator tool:
https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/ellipsoid-volume

kath wrote:(editor's note: the frank bouncebouncebounce for me is different and distinct from all other bouncebouncebounces.)

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Jan 2021, 17:12

souphound wrote:1) Why is the sport called "team handball"? Surely there is no such thing as solo handball!

But there is one-on-one handball, at least in America, which I think is the same as squash. I've never seen or even heard of the raquet-less game PP mentions, but I'll admit I'm not much of a sporting guy.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jan 2021, 01:21

Medicine ball ... Heavy 8-)
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jan 2021, 19:30

Jimbo wrote:Medicine ball ... Heavy 8-)

Good lad Jimbo

Good lad