Will I be the first BCBer to get their covid jab....?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Will I be the first BCBer to get their covid jab....?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Mar 2021, 11:37

Rorschach wrote:
mudshark wrote:... as long as it isn't that British shit that turns your blood into yoghurt ...

It is such a fuck up. The data is there and it shows that there is no evidence that this vaccine is harmful but people see a pattern and panic. A lot of people will die because of stupid decisions being made right now.

Yep.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Mar 2021, 12:31

I think you’re right Tym. Something like 10 out of 17,
Million showed signs of blood cloths. Looks like a huge overreaction that’s going to do more harm than good. Do you know that the US is sitting on 30 million doses of the AZ vaccin while it’s not been approved yet? And the government doesn’t want to send them back to Europe where supply is behind schedule. So much for ‘we’re all in this together’.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Mar 2021, 12:53

mudshark wrote:I think you’re right Tym. Something like 10 out of 17 Million showed signs of blood clots.

Aye. I don't know if you're aware of this, but that's around the number you would expect in a population that size anyway. With or without vaccines.People get this clotting all the time, especially in this age group, and there is absolutely no reason to connect this the the vaccine. Hell, the WHO and European Health agency (or whatever they're called) know this, so why are various governments panicking about it?

I suspect because their is so little understanding basic statistics. But you'd think there'd be someone on hand to explain it to the politicians!

There was a good article in the Guardian yesterday which explains in some depth the truth behind the stats. Written by David Spiegelhalter, who is a top man to listen to on matters relating to statistics.
Bugger off.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Mar 2021, 15:21

In several countries it's an election year. That may have something to do with it. You (and the Guardian) are spot on and those Euro countries are not. And it's contradictive: Those governments that have paused the programs have always claimed they followed science and the opinions of experts. And now all of a sudden they're not. In the US a handful of unfortunates have died after taking the Pfizer shot. It almost stirred a panic, but it was quickly made known those people where old and had underlying conditions. Delaying the program is a literally a deadly mistake.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 16 Mar 2021, 15:30

Unfortunately, the focus always seems to turn on to the exception. This is true in sports ("who's the best all time at....?"), in entertainment ("gotta see that new movie.. It stars so and so...") and tons and tons of other topics. Not many are focusing on the run-of-the-mill, no story to tell here types. Sadly, it's what people want most of the time. I started this out putting most of the blame on the media, but with a bit more thought, I'd say that the media is simply part of the big wheel we have created and continue to create for ourselves.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 Mar 2021, 19:18

mudshark wrote:In several countries it's an election year. That may have something to do with it. .....

It's an election year in London in May, that's ~ a 15 million population.
The Mayor is making the vaccination programme seem convenient, smooth and fast but that's not the case at all for some GP patients across town. It's a proportional representation vote and he's running scared from Laurence Fox, if it is to be believed.
Did I bore you enough previously by telling you he lives round the corner from me? I had my first shot (Pfizer) the day before him in the same hub.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56124638
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Mar 2021, 18:12

Weirdest thing happened: got a text and E-mail from the CDC in Harris County (where I live) telling me I got bumped up and can now come and get my J&J vaccine tomorrow at 11AM. Do they know something about me that I don't?? Of course I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take the shot.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 18:27

mudshark wrote:Weirdest thing happened: got a text and E-mail from the CDC in Harris County (where I live) telling me I got bumped up and can now come and get my J&J vaccine tomorrow at 11AM. Do they know something about me that I don't?? Of course I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take the shot.

Oh wow. You lucky sod. That's great.

Is that the one that only needs one shot?
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 18:35

Some good news here is that the European Health Agency has announced today that they find no link between the AstroZeneca vaccine and the cases of thrombosis. Hopefully the European government will take notice of this and start using it again immediately.
But I doubt it.

The problem seems to be that fear of active risk as opposed to passive risk. People are afraid of doing something that has potential to do harm but are relatively happy to have harm happen so long as they are not the agent. In this case, they stopped using the vaccine out of fear that it could cause less than one death in a million, even though that was highly unlikely to be the case, but they were prepared to risk letting the virus kill hundreds more people, even though that was almost certain to happen if they stopped vaccinating people.
Bugger off.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Mar 2021, 18:36

Yes. One shot. Or so they say...

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Mar 2021, 18:50

I think it's all about perception, Rorsch. A lot of people think they won't get it anyway because they're not often sick and are strong enough etc. etc., and/or feel that with following the rules they can stay healthy. This may be naive, but I can muster some understanding (it's why a lot of people smoke, drink, eat a full English breakfast). They're taking a risk but it's one of a different category then literally letting oneself being injected with a concoction that has the (ever so remote) potential to make one sick, or worse. In the US such people insist its an infringement on personal freedom as specified in God knows what amendment.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 19 Mar 2021, 17:05

ugh so was talking to a client this morning who told me just sign up they aren't turning away people, just claim you have one of the exceptions and they don't even check. Sadly, earliest I can get an appointment is April 10th,

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Mar 2021, 17:26

I'm scheduled to get my first tomorrow afternoon.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Mar 2021, 16:38

I've just had my second jab.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 20 Mar 2021, 20:02

Got my second last Wednesday (March 17). Southern California.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 20 Mar 2021, 20:04

Rorschach wrote:Is that the one that only needs one shot?

Depends on the vaccine. J&J, just one. Moderna and Pfeizer, two.
Don't know about any others.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 21 Mar 2021, 19:04

Muskrat wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Is that the one that only needs one shot?

Depends on the vaccine. J&J, just one. Moderna and Pfeizer, two.
Don't know about any others.

Yes. Mudshark said he was getting the J&J vaccine and I was asking if that was the one that only needed one shot.
Bugger off.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 13:40

Just got appointment for first jab for April 9 (no word on which vaccine). Can't wait.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 22 Mar 2021, 20:44

i got my male spawn a jab. i called every pharmacy and clinic in a 50 mile radius, asking if i could sign him up for an appointment. they were all booked up or wouldn't even talk to me, except for one, across the river in gretna. i got the pharmacist on the phone and explained to him that my son is overweight, but also that he's been on various meds for 20 years and i consider him vulnerable. then i just kinda let it all out and told him i've lost one kid, i really don't wanna lose another, so if there's a cancellation, can he fit the lad in?

i got a call saturday morning. he fit the lad in. off we went.

so my son got his first jab. he felt sick and threw up yesterday. i bought him a pizza today and he seems much better.

that means me, chi chi, sam and gavin all have our second shots lined up april 9th, 10th, 11th.

my point: it doesn't hurt to try to call around. you may get a really cool person on the phone. the kind of person who just wants to give out shots.

who knows how life goes, but here i am, remaining hopeful.

p.s. i got lost on the way there, mwhaha. i had google-mapped it on my phone, but the directions were wrong. i haven't been across the river in over 30 years, when i had to show up at the gretna courthouse (none of yer business.) a very kind biker-lookin dude standing outside a tire shop gave me picture-perfect directions. a toast, to him and to the pharmacist.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 22 Mar 2021, 20:50

kath wrote:i haven't been across the river in over 30 years, when i had to show up at the gretna courthouse (none of yer business.)

Yo, that is some shady shit, kath!

Congratulations on getting your boy set up!

I got my first shot last week. PTL.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.